Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is There Anyway to Overcome This?
MG&Lsmom 09:53 AM 01-20-2011
So I've gotten a few phone calls and emails every month from people looking for spots. Only 1 has panned out into a slot being filled. I think I know the 2 main reasons why legitimate parents (not just the fishing emails from other dc providers) are not interested. I'm wondering if you can give me some tips to fix it.

Reason #1: Part-timers do not want to pay for a full slot. I've got my fees set as a daily rate: $25 <4hrs before or after 12pm, $35 for 4+hrs. My pt rate only applies if it's morning or afternoons, just like the two local centers. I've told parents that I can do a 1/2 hr either way when they've inquired about 8-12:30. But they say a full time rate for 9-1 or 10-3 is just too much.

Reason #2: I provide preschool transportation every day and it's too much time in the car. I have a daughter in preschool. I carpool 3 of the 5 days, so only go one way with dcks on those days. It's 35mins round trip to school. 2 hours of time at home, library, playground btwn drop off pick up. But I try to make the best of it and that's what I tell them. We sing songs, play I spy & other word games. I use the days I have to go both ways as days for field trips. We go to the pet store or library. On nice days we go to a playground or for a hike in the state park near by. All within that 35 min trip so we're not in the car for longer than we would be anyways. And I have dropins that attend the same school that I pick up as a perk of my daycare. So it's not always just my kid, iykwim.

Do you think there's anything I can do, short of pulling my daughter, that can be done? If a parent doesn't want me going somewhere with their child ever I'd never take them. We go on field trips and I won't drop that. I guess I need help putting the preschool trips in the best light.
laundrymom 10:12 AM 01-20-2011
I guess I don't see a problem. 35 min isnt that long. I wouldn't even stress. I'd say, we do drop and get my daughter from preschool on such and such days. We are normally gone about half an hour. And turn what you feel is a huge issue into a non issue. I mean you are gone and back in less time than it takes me to do potty and diapers for lunch. Don't make it into an issue and parents won't see it as one.
melskids 10:26 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I guess I don't see a problem. 35 min isnt that long. I wouldn't even stress. I'd say, we do drop and get my daughter from preschool on such and such days. We are normally gone about half an hour. And turn what you feel is a huge issue into a non issue. I mean you are gone and back in less time than it takes me to do potty and diapers for lunch. Don't make it into an issue and parents won't see it as one.
i agree! we have to pack up everyday to go to the 1st bus stop to pick up those SA and then to another bus stop to pick up MY kids. we go less then 2 miles, but it takes a whole hour. none of my parents have issue with it. (they cant really, cause at some point in life they know its THEIR kids we'll be waiting for) but i stocked the car with books, small toys, crayons and paper, etc. we also do "circle time" while we wait!!!!
lvt77 10:33 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
So I've gotten a few phone calls and emails every month from people looking for spots. Only 1 has panned out into a slot being filled. I think I know the 2 main reasons why legitimate parents (not just the fishing emails from other dc providers) are not interested. I'm wondering if you can give me some tips to fix it.

Reason #1: Part-timers do not want to pay for a full slot. I've got my fees set as a daily rate: $25 <4hrs before or after 12pm, $35 for 4+hrs. My pt rate only applies if it's morning or afternoons, just like the two local centers. I've told parents that I can do a 1/2 hr either way when they've inquired about 8-12:30. But they say a full time rate for 9-1 or 10-3 is just too much.

Reason #2: I provide preschool transportation every day and it's too much time in the car. I have a daughter in preschool. I carpool 3 of the 5 days, so only go one way with dcks on those days. It's 35mins round trip to school. 2 hours of time at home, library, playground btwn drop off pick up. But I try to make the best of it and that's what I tell them. We sing songs, play I spy & other word games. I use the days I have to go both ways as days for field trips. We go to the pet store or library. On nice days we go to a playground or for a hike in the state park near by. All within that 35 min trip so we're not in the car for longer than we would be anyways. And I have dropins that attend the same school that I pick up as a perk of my daycare. So it's not always just my kid, iykwim.

Do you think there's anything I can do, short of pulling my daughter, that can be done? If a parent doesn't want me going somewhere with their child ever I'd never take them. We go on field trips and I won't drop that. I guess I need help putting the preschool trips in the best light.
do you mind me asking what type of umbrella policy you have for your car insurance? I had a small issues with this when asking to go on FT. Once I proved to the parents that I had a million $ umbrella policy they felt better about letting me transport...
some parents just are uncomfortable about someone else driving their kids around, not knowing that in the event something were to happen that their child would be protected.
kendallina 10:47 AM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I agree- just downplay it. Mention it briefly, but don't apologize for it or seem doubtful that it's the right thing to do. 35 minutes is not that much. I would also REALLY play up the great activities and field trips that you're doing with the children. It's a huge bonus to your program.
MG&Lsmom 11:02 AM 01-20-2011
Thanks everyone. I feel like I downplay it, but want make sure they know I do go places with the kids. I know some people just don't want their provider driving their child anywhere. But I'm probably not downplaying it enough .

I don't have an extra policy on my car insurance. When I talked to my agent they just doubled some of the coverage amounts. They did the same with our homeowners insurance too. Getting covered in MA for home daycare has been really hard. My CCR gave me a list of companies and not one is still doing it. We did homestead our property and added the higher limits.
lvt77 04:58 PM 01-20-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
Thanks everyone. I feel like I downplay it, but want make sure they know I do go places with the kids. I know some people just don't want their provider driving their child anywhere. But I'm probably not downplaying it enough .

I don't have an extra policy on my car insurance. When I talked to my agent they just doubled some of the coverage amounts. They did the same with our homeowners insurance too. Getting covered in MA for home daycare has been really hard. My CCR gave me a list of companies and not one is still doing it. We did homestead our property and added the higher limits.
I am with all-state...they are a little more expensive, but its worth it that I get my way....lol I am such a brat!!

maybe you can see if all-state can offer you something.
MG&Lsmom 08:00 AM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I am with all-state...they are a little more expensive, but its worth it that I get my way....lol I am such a brat!!

maybe you can see if all-state can offer you something.
Thanks. I'll have to see if they cover my state. They recently changed some insurance laws, but before the change there were only like 3 companies that even covered MA drivers because it's a no-fault state.
Tags:filling spots
Reply Up