Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do you have a Standby Home Generator?
Yes 5 23.81%
No 13 61.90%
I am currently considering one. 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Standby Home Generators; Poll
Cat Herder 06:55 AM 11-01-2011
The post about Closing due to Power Loss made me curious as to how many home providers have a backup plan for this.

If you do have a generator, what kind?

Are you happy with it; Does it meet your needs?

What do you wish you knew BEFORE you purchased yours?

Is there a brand you'd recommend?
MsMe 07:03 AM 11-01-2011
In my town all power lines are underground. Since the City made the switch we have never lost power due to a storm.

I assume we could lose power if something happened to the 'main' equipment, but I don't feel it is something to spend money preparing for.

My parents live in a area where (just 7 miles out of my town) that it is common to lose power at least once a year for up to three days, they DO have one.
laundrymom 07:04 AM 11-01-2011
Not at this house but we will purchase a diesel powered one if needed. Dh makes biodiesel.
Heidi 07:37 AM 11-01-2011
I am a currently considering one, but would still close if the power were out for a long period. I think they are designed to run the essentials, but if things were bad enough that we actually had to use it, I'd be using for my family only.

We met a woman from northen WI this summer who over the 4th of July weekend lost power for 2 WEEKS due to storms knocking down lines. They pretty much camped in their home. They were experienced campers, so they had a generator. But, I would NOT try to take care of 3 toddlers and 2 preschoolers with a generator for 2 weeks. Trying to conserve food (refrigeration is limited) & water (we are in the country, so we have a pump), no A/C or minimal heat.

NO thanks!
Sprouts 08:51 AM 11-01-2011
My husband was looking at the generator in the link below, we are considiering it after loosing power for the first time this weekend. Diesel run generator sounds like an awesome idea, there are some areas that sell biodiesel around here.

http://www.amazon.com/Generac-5623-P...0162694&sr=8-2
Cat Herder 09:00 AM 11-01-2011
I am looking to upgrade currently.

I found this really cool "calculator" at Lowes website for estimating your needs. http://www.generatorsatlowes.com/sizer/sizer.aspx
JenNJ 10:17 AM 11-01-2011
I wouldn't use a generator to run my daycare. I would simply find an alternate location. Many clients have offered their homes if needed for this sort of thing though we have only lost power on weekends so far. I would likely use my in laws home a few miles away.
daycare 10:19 AM 11-01-2011
I must be stupid.....lol

What is that.....GUess that answers my question.
e.j. 12:24 PM 11-01-2011
We got our generator right after an ice storm a few years ago. It's a relatively small one that we can use to plug in things like the refrigerator and freezer, sump pump and lights. I'd love one we could use to keep the furnace and water heater going, too.

The only thing I wished I had known before we got it was how difficult it would be to find any kind of generator when you're in the middle of a situation where power isn't likely to come on any time soon. You can't imagine how fast they sell out when everyone needs one! My husband had always talked about buying a generator but since we had never needed one before, we didn't make it a priority to buy one. Even though the one we have isn't powerful enough for everything we need - like heat and hot water - it made life a little more tolerable while we waited for our electricity to be turned back on.
Country Kids 12:29 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I wouldn't use a generator to run my daycare. I would simply find an alternate location. Many clients have offered their homes if needed for this sort of thing though we have only lost power on weekends so far. I would likely use my in laws home a few miles away.
Make sure you can legally do this. In my state this wouldn't be allowed due to the fact that it hasn't been inspected and registered as an official childcare.
Cat Herder 12:32 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I must be stupid.....lol

What is that.....GUess that answers my question.
Nah, it has nothing to do with "stupid", it has to do with being trapped in an ice storm for 14+ days without heat once.... It is amazing how quick you learn what is out there to prevent it again.

Click on the link I posted above then go to the "Standby Generators" tab. It explains it all. I live waaayyy out in the woods, so these are necessary. I also have reptiles and would be crushed to lose them while on vacation.
daycare 12:36 PM 11-01-2011
lol hahahah I have never lived anywhere that it has snowed or with too extreme of heat.

such a city girl. lol
Tags:closed from - power outage, closed from bad weather, closed from power outage, cold weather, electricity - not, emergency plan, emergency preparedness plan, heat issues, power outage, weather policy
Reply Up