Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama!
midaycare 10:55 AM 07-11-2014
I have a dcg who turns 2 next month. She has a 10-year-old brother and I think she is pretty much given all the attention she wants at home. But I'm just guessing.

Dcg constantly shouts out, "Mama!" to me. Sometimes as many as 5 times in 5 seconds. It just never stops. She constantly wants my attention and can't wait one minute.

Every time I make lunch or snack, from the time I put her in the high chair, until she has food on her plate, it's "Mama eat!" "Mama eat!" I tell her I'm fixing lunch, in toddler terms, and she gets excited but won't stop demanding. I sit her with a lunch "starter", like applesauce, but it's not enough. She wants the full meal, and she wants it NOW.

I should seriously count how many times she calls out "Mama!" to me. I'm thinking it's close to 200-300 a day.

I try to not encourage it by ignoring her when she does that, but it is not working. It's just driving me batty as she calls out for me more.
AmyKidsCo 11:07 AM 07-11-2014
Oy, that can be frustrating! I had a 2 yr old who'd repeat the same phrase over and over and over again. Or repeat what I said to him over and over and over. Eventually he grew out of it.
midaycare 11:14 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Oy, that can be frustrating! I had a 2 yr old who'd repeat the same phrase over and over and over again. Or repeat what I said to him over and over and over. Eventually he grew out of it.
I'm still waiting! It's been 3 months... hopefully she stops soon.
My3cents 11:20 AM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have a dcg who turns 2 next month. She has a 10-year-old brother and I think she is pretty much given all the attention she wants at home. But I'm just guessing.

Dcg constantly shouts out, "Mama!" to me. Sometimes as many as 5 times in 5 seconds. It just never stops. She constantly wants my attention and can't wait one minute.

Every time I make lunch or snack, from the time I put her in the high chair, until she has food on her plate, it's "Mama eat!" "Mama eat!" I tell her I'm fixing lunch, in toddler terms, and she gets excited but won't stop demanding. I sit her with a lunch "starter", like applesauce, but it's not enough. She wants the full meal, and she wants it NOW.

I should seriously count how many times she calls out "Mama!" to me. I'm thinking it's close to 200-300 a day.

I try to not encourage it by ignoring her when she does that, but it is not working. It's just driving me batty as she calls out for me more.
teach her your name. Say Nooooo my name is not Mama my name is mydaycare. Your name is ________ my name is__________ She is old enough to grab this concept. When Momma comes to get her then you make a big deal about......there's Momma.....go get Momma. Bye_______mydaycare will miss you, have a good night!

At this age and stage they are soaking up verbal like there is no tomorrow.... and repeat. If your not a parrot by the end of the day you should be....lol. I use my name a lot at this age and stage.

Best- I know it can drive you nuts. I agree with ignoring some of it but teach for the rest of it and most likely you already are.....its what we do. LOL
Angelsj 11:26 AM 07-11-2014
At least yours call you Mama. When mine are learning or mess up, they call me Grandma.
melilley 11:34 AM 07-11-2014
I have one that would repeat sounds over and over and over. He is almost 3 and only says a handful of words so I chalk it up to that. He is getting better, but still will repeat words.

My almost 2 yo ds says mom all the time. For some reason him repeating words doesn't really bother me
midaycare 12:00 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I have one that would repeat sounds over and over and over. He is almost 3 and only says a handful of words so I chalk it up to that. He is getting better, but still will repeat words.

My almost 2 yo ds says mom all the time. For some reason him repeating words doesn't really bother me
It is different when they are your own. Then it's cute.
e.j. 01:42 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:

I had one that would repeat, "Mama soon? Mama soon? Mama soon?..." all day long, non-stop. From the time he was dropped off until the time he was picked up. On a good day, he'd fall asleep during nap time and my brain would rest a little. As soon as he woke up, though, we were back to, "Mama soon? Mama soon? Mama soon? I thought I would tear my hair out by the end of the first week! To make matters worse, my own two kids were young enough to be at home then and on top of listening to "Mama soon?" all day, I had to listen to them complain about hearing "Mama soon?" all day!

No words of wisdom for you - my dcb eventually got comfortable with me and stopped repeating it. He became one of my favorite kids after that but I can empathize with how you must be feeling.
midaycare 03:02 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
At least yours call you Mama. When mine are learning or mess up, they call me Grandma.
Ha! Funny! One day I will be there, too. Probably sooner than I would like.
midaycare 03:04 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I had one that would repeat, "Mama soon? Mama soon? Mama soon?..." all day long, non-stop. From the time he was dropped off until the time he was picked up. On a good day, he'd fall asleep during nap time and my brain would rest a little. As soon as he woke up, though, we were back to, "Mama soon? Mama soon? Mama soon? I thought I would tear my hair out by the end of the first week! To make matters worse, my own two kids were young enough to be at home then and on top of listening to "Mama soon?" all day, I had to listen to them complain about hearing "Mama soon?" all day!

No words of wisdom for you - my dcb eventually got comfortable with me and stopped repeating it. He became one of my favorite kids after than but I can empathize with how you must be feeling.
Oh that would be worse! Yes, at least she is comfortable with me. I couldn't handle her cute little personality otherwise.
CraftyMom 06:39 PM 07-11-2014
At some point they all call me Mommy. By accident sometimes, but mostly because my own kids say it, I'm guessing. I just say "Mommy? Where's Mommy? Mommy's working. What's my name?" or something of the sort. I make it sound silly, they usually giggle and say my name
SilverSabre25 07:10 PM 07-11-2014
I doubt it's the saying mama that is bugging midaycare; it's the incessant nagging! For me the dcg could be saying my name, mama, or banana and it would still drive ME batty! The word isn't the problem so much as the repetition, or intent to nag (yes I know she doesn't MEAN to nag, it's an age thing, but still IS nagging)
midaycare 07:46 PM 07-11-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I doubt it's the saying mama that is bugging midaycare; it's the incessant nagging! For me the dcg could be saying my name, mama, or banana and it would still drive ME batty! The word isn't the problem so much as the repetition, or intent to nag (yes I know she doesn't MEAN to nag, it's an age thing, but still IS nagging)
This. I can't get anything done when dcg is here. If I don't respond she will either a) cry hysterically or b) nag more and louder. She can call me mama, for all I care. I don't encourage it, I know it's a stage.
coolconfidentme 08:32 PM 07-11-2014
I have one who said over & over & over..., Where daddy go? Where daddy go? Where daddy go? Where daddy go? Where daddy go?

I would say He's at work every time. Yesterday I said, He's in the closet. She stopped dead in here tracks & looked at me with these big eyes & said, Really? I cracked up. I told daddy about it. This morning when he left.., instead of saying he was going to work, he said I gotta go get in my closet. I never laughed so hard that early in the morning.
TwinKristi 01:27 PM 07-12-2014
I have a DCG who calls me mommy/mama. Drives me batty but ignoring her or telling her my name doesn't seem to work either! I find it quite creepy...
midaycare 05:14 PM 07-12-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I have a DCG who calls me mommy/mama. Drives me batty but ignoring her or telling her my name doesn't seem to work either! I find it quite creepy...
It is a little creepy when she calls out Mama. I wouldn't mind it as much if it meant something, instead of just an attention grab all the time. She may as well be saying, "Now! Now! Now! Now! Now!"
midaycare 05:15 PM 07-12-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I have one who said over & over & over..., Where daddy go? Where daddy go? Where daddy go? Where daddy go? Where daddy go?

I would say He's at work every time. Yesterday I said, He's in the closet. She stopped dead in here tracks & looked at me with these big eyes & said, Really? I cracked up. I told daddy about it. This morning when he left.., instead of saying he was going to work, he said I gotta go get in my closet. I never laughed so hard that early in the morning.
That is too funny!!
Tags:attention seeking, being called mom, mama
Reply Up