Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Home Daycare Assistant Minimum Age - and Supervision?
working9to5 05:12 PM 02-20-2010
My son is 17 months old and I came to pick up a little early recently at the home daycare I use. The woman that runs the daycare was outside down the block taking a walk with 2 other children. I was surprised to see this. I went inside and the teenage son who is around 14 (I never asked his age because I didn't know he'd be watching the kids ever, let alone by himself) was with 3 children alone who range in ages from 17 months - 2 years old. Now I looked up DCFS regulations and it states a teenager can be an assistant with a minimum age of 14, but that they have to be supervised at all times.

Does an assistant need to also be CPR certified? Do home daycare providers need to be CPR certified? I worry that should something serious have happened, the daycare provided - even though reachable via cell phone - was not close enough to be 'supervising'.

I am very concerned and feel that I should have been told the son is the assistant. The contract states that in emergencies, a capable assistant of her choice will be used, but this was not an emergency. But now I wonder if more of a regular occurance?

Do I have a right to be concerned? I know my son gets along well with the teenager - but teenagers are teenagers and in my opinion not completely responsible. I think if the assistant was a girl I might feel better because girls mature sooner than boys....but a 14 year old boy could easily lose focus with a cell phone call or text from a friend. My opinions...but I am still very concerned.
Tags:2010, assistant, assistant age, assistant supervision, cpr certified, helper, regulations, substitute
Up