Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Weeks Notice on Fridays - Why?
AmyKidsCo 07:11 PM 06-26-2014
A while ago someone posted a situation where a family gave 2 weeks notice mid-week. Based on that situation I changed my policies so I only accept notice on Fridays, but now I don't remember the situation and am rethinking the policy.

Does anyone remember what the situation was? Or can you help me think through why it matters?

Parents pay for their last 2 weeks of care right after enrollment. Weekly fees are due Thursday for the following week. So what does it matter to me if they give midweek notice?

If they give notice on a Thursday and don't pay for the following week it's still covered by the Final Payment. If they give notice before Thursday that week will have been paid for and the next 2 would be covered by the Final Payment.

Can anyone find a loophole?
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:44 PM 06-26-2014
It might have been me. I collect the last 2 weeks at enrollment, too. Sometimes in installments because that can be steep for some families, especially if there is 2 kids, which I did in this case.

In this situation, on Tuesday drop-off DCM wanted me to bend on a policy, threatened to pull when I said no, which I countered with we probably were not a good fit despite going over all these details at the interview, plus having them in my handbook and contract that she signed. At pick-up that same day, she told me she found another daycare, can she give 2-weeks and this be one of the weeks? I told her yes, because she had only made $100 towards the $350 deposit, and I wanted them gone ASAP. I also told her that I would let her know immediately if I needed THIS to be their last week to enroll new children, in which case I would refund her $100. That did happen, I let her know Wednesday around 1:00, and she picked up that afternoon (angry!) and let me know that that was their last day.

I did not have to refund, either, but only did it to be nice for the kids. I have this wording in my contract:

Either party with two weeks notice may cancel the contract in writing. Payment for the two week period (collected during enrollment) is paid whether the child is in attendance or not and will not be refunded. Daycare Name may terminate the contract or may disallow a child to return for care without notice or refund if there is an unpaid balance due, or if some action(s) taken by the parent or child poses a potential safety risk or level of discomfort to the provider or any of the children. Failure by Daycare Name to enforce one or more terms of the contract does not waive the right of Daycare Name to enforce any other terms of the contract. Parents may terminate the contract without notice if Daycare Name fails to maintain current status with regard to state licensure.

A lawyer helped me put that together. Hope someone else can use it, too! I just wanted this DCM out of my life, the sooner the better. Of course, I had another family already lined up so there was no gap in income. I would not have been so generous if I did not have a fat waiting list.
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:48 PM 06-26-2014
I also want to let you know I did not refund for the Thursday and Friday this week. Just the $100 for next week, so that maybe the kids will see some of that money some way. They were sweet kids.
nannyde 08:06 PM 06-26-2014
I require prepayment on Friday for the upcoming week. I require a CALENDAR month notice. If a parent gives notice on Friday they have FOUR weeks plus any additional work days between the 28th and 31st depending on what month it is.

If I allow notice on Monday I get three weeks pay plus the additional days in the month.

What happens is providers who get paid upfront each Friday and require only a two week notice.... if they get paid on Friday and next Tuesday a parent gets pissed and gives notice they get only one more check plus one day. If notice is only received on Friday the provider gets two more paydays.
daycarediva 07:08 AM 06-27-2014
I require notice on Fridays. I get paid Friday for the following week on Fridays. I have a 10 business day/2 week notice period. If they give notice on a Tuesday, they have to pay for the following week in full, and then there's a definite grey area as to when their last day would be, if they owe for the full week, etc.

plus, it creates issues with starting a replacement. When the date is available mid week, I often don't fill it until the following Monday, do there was a (minor) loss of income.
AmyKidsCo 11:08 AM 06-27-2014
It sounds like it's more important if you don't get the last 2 weeks payment ahead of time.

Thanks everyone!
Reply Up