Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I need an answer bad
Unregistered 01:54 AM 10-28-2015
I'm starting a daycare/preschool from infant to 5 years old which will have room for 30 kids and I have 3 questions 1. What are the peak times for enrollments? 2. Should I wait since the school year has started? 3. As an owner who will not work in the school how much should I expect as a net profit yearly?
Unregistered 02:53 AM 10-28-2015
What state? I'm guessing you mean a center? Most people on this forum run childcare in the home. Peak enrollment? I am guessing fall, as you say, school starts. But I believe you could get these numbers researching with your local resource and referral for childcare. I've never known an owner that's not the director... Keep searching, you'll find it all hidden in the depths of the Google
DaveA 03:53 AM 10-28-2015
Hate to say it, but your questions are too variable and situation specific for a forum to be much help to you. Peak enrollment is often in the fall, but really depends on your marketing and local economic factors. Same thing for opening. Plus it depends on own vs rent/ opening all at once vs starting small and adding classrooms as enrollment grows, etc........As for profitability, that's totally on you. The last center I helped open was profitable in 2 years, but it can be much longer (and some never last long enough to get there). Your local R&R and a good CPA who knows the local economy would be much better places to start.
spedmommy4 04:15 AM 10-28-2015
Even within a state, the potential tuition you can charge will very greatly. For example, I'm in Central California and high quality family childcare averages $150 a week. My friends in the bay can charge about $100 a week more. In addition to the tuition you can charge, you also have to factor in what real estate costs in your area and what the average early childhood teacher makes. Rent and staff will be two of your biggest expenses.

In order to know your potential net income, you need to know what you can charge, the general cost of rent, how much you'll pay staff, etc. Nobody could give you a number. It's specific to your business. To determine your potential profit, draw up a business plan with some basic financial projections. (Estimated profits minus estimated cost)

If you need financing, the bank is going to want to see a solid business plan. The small business administration can help you with this. They have tons of online resources, including business plan templates, on their website at sba.gov. In general, I would plan on it taking at least 6 months to become full.

I opened in February, a terrible month, but was still full (12 kids) in 6 months. I also still average 2-3 calls per week for childcare. My marketing is good and your marketing will need to be good to fill your center.

Hope this helps
Reply Up