Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bottles in Pack and Plays
Essentialrose1 02:20 PM 04-20-2016
Hi everyone! We just expanded our preschool of 40 years & opened an infant/toddler room.
We have 2 one year olds in pack and plays & the rest are over 20 months & on mats. We don't give anyone a bottle or sippy to get to sleep. But we have a 13 month old that is still on formula. She gets one bottle in the morning before anyone gets there so it's easy to sit with her in the rocker & give it to her. Her second bottle is after nap & she often sits on the carpet & drinks it. Today the toddlers were wild so the teacher gave it to her in the pack n play to avoid them trying to take it from her. Mom wasn't happy. I'm happy to respect her wishes but I wanted some feedback from other daycare people. I think she expects us to continue hand feeding her the bottle but that's not always possible at 13 months in a classroom full of toddlers. Shes not in an infant room anymore. Thanks in advance.
Cat Herder 02:26 PM 04-20-2016
After 12 months I serve all meals at the table. I would give her formula to her, in a sippy, during snack.

No bottles in toddler rooms.

Tell mom it is standard policy.
finsup 02:29 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
After 12 months I serve all meals at the table. I would give her formula to her, in a sippy, during snack.

No bottles in toddler rooms.

Tell mom it is standard policy.

Essentialrose1 02:30 PM 04-20-2016
I agree thank you. But what are your thoughts about the incident with the bottle in the pack n play. Which doesn't happen daily. But I had left for the day & I'm sure I'll walk into a note in the morning from unhappy mom (she's been finding tons of frustrating things to pick on - this time I addressed it by telling my teacher not to do it again but I wondered if its ever done in other daycares to help with my conversation with mom)
Thriftylady 02:37 PM 04-20-2016
Well I don't allow bottles after 12 months without a doctors script. Even formula should be given from a cup. But many states have rules on bottles. When I was in Kansas, a bottle in a PNP would have been a HUGE violation. And many states require that children with a bottle be held during feeding. I don't blame mom, I would be upset too. But mom needs to take the bottle, unless there is a medical reason for it.
Cat Herder 02:48 PM 04-20-2016
Like Thrifty, it would be a safety violation here.

I would apologize profusely and tell Mom what action plan has been put in place to correct the situation.

The employee would receive a warning and retraining.
Essentialrose1 02:50 PM 04-20-2016
Thank you I appreciate your input. Ugh how frustrating.
Unregistered 02:50 PM 04-20-2016
We are required to hold babies when they are having a bottle. No bottle in a pack n play. And she wouldn't be using a bottle at 2 anyway. Or sleeping in a pack n play for that matter. I would have her nappig on a mat and drinking out of a cup (Sippy or regular) at 2 years old. If she is addicted to the bottle like a pacifier, it might be hard. I guess in that case, I'd only do water in the bottle and then transition it to water in a sippy. Then she wouldn't just be chugging calories out if compulsive sucking or be damaging teeth falling asleep with milk teeth... :/
JackandJill 03:06 PM 04-20-2016
Here it would be against regs, babies who can't feed themselves have to be held and no bottles in pack and play.

Good luck with the whole situation!
Tags:bottle no more, bottle to cup, food - age appropriate, regulations, safe sleep, sippy cup training, toddler food
Reply Up