Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Can I Claim Library Fines?
Dilley Beans 08:44 AM 04-25-2016
I use the library for a lot of our books since there are just so many good books and I can't own them all.

Anyway...if I get late return fees on books used for my daycare, can I claim them as an expense? It isn't that much, $.15/day for books but it add up when I borrow videos and cds and they charge $1 a day.
TomCopeland 11:00 AM 04-25-2016
Originally Posted by Dilley Beans:
I use the library for a lot of our books since there are just so many good books and I can't own them all.

Anyway...if I get late return fees on books used for my daycare, can I claim them as an expense? It isn't that much, $.15/day for books but it add up when I borrow videos and cds and they charge $1 a day.
First time I've had this question in 35+ years! No, you can't deduct library fines as a business expense. No reward for breaking a rule.
CityGarden 11:10 AM 04-25-2016
Some libraries will allow homeschoolers and teachers the ability to check books out longer than the general public so I would look into that.

I am guilty of often returning library books late (have been since childhood) so we make a habit of going to the library once a week and not keeping any book longer than that. If I need to keep it longer I either check it out again or purchase it on Amazon.

Also I keep a running book wish list that I can share with others when they want to gift something to my dd, myself or my preschool.
Thriftylady 12:26 PM 04-25-2016
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
First time I've had this question in 35+ years! No, you can't deduct library fines as a business expense. No reward for breaking a rule.
This is what I was going to say. My hubby has this in truck driving. If he gets a ticket, you can't deduct the ticket, because a fine for breaking the law isn't deductible. BUT, he can deduct the legal fees for fighting said ticket.
Dilley Beans 07:49 PM 04-25-2016
It's usually $.15/day but a few laurie berkner cds I borrowed couldn't be renewed and I was a day late. They charged $1 each. Since I just got done with taxes, it was on my mind. I didn't know if it was a receipt to keep or toss.

Thanks
Tags:deductions - fines, deductions - late fees, tom copeland
Reply Up