Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Take a Whole Day Off for My Grandmother's Funeral?
MaritimeMummy 03:50 AM 07-30-2012
She was my great-grandmother, 99 years and 11 months! We don't know if the funeral will be Tuesday or Wednesday, I find out today. I have one mother who would take the whole day off, no problem (and this is the mom of the girl who is leaving me this week, so I'd lose a day with her but I'd already feel bad because our time with her is so short). Another child is my cousin's little guy...well, she was her great-grandmother, too, so she'd pull her son whatever day it's on anyway.

My problem lies with my full time DKC. Her mom runs a business from home and has insinuated that she can only reschedule clients in the morning for during the funeral( (funerals always happen between 10 and 11am here), but then the afternoon DKC HAS to come here. Which, right now I'm thinking well, I'm not upset over her passing, she lived a long, great life and I'm not sad...but honestly, I can't tell what I will be feeling AFTER the funeral. I don't know...should I take her in the afternoon? She'd be kinda screwed for childcare...she is very understanding of the situation and she hasn't come right out and said that I need to be back to care for her in the afternoon, but she's been saying all kinds of other things like, "I can take the morning off and come over to your house and watch the children while you go. Or I can help out your mother-in-law until you get back". So she's basically offering this to put insurance on me coming home and making sure I take her daughter for the rest of the day. Obviously I am not going to take her up on that, and my MIL will watch my own children but not someone else's, so she HAS to find care for during that time, definitely, or just not work.

I already said that I'm probably going to be able to take her in the afternoon, whatever day it is, but does a "probably" tie me in when it's a funeral we're dealing with? I just don't know how I'm going to feel on the day of...
Up