Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Mats
MARSTELAC 11:03 AM 11-11-2011
...just went to check on the 3.5 year old who has been in nap for maybe 10 minutes tops....nap mat torn up and one pad out. Not a happy camper right now. Any suggestions for how to prevent this in the future other than me sitting right there the whole time?

it is one of those vinyl kind from Walmart or Target with three sections and padding inside.
Cat Herder 11:12 AM 11-11-2011
Kindermat covers and have the parents replace it.

www.kinderkidzstuff.com sells them for $12. I bought the alphabet ones from them, they are awesome.

At 3.5 years THAT is not something I'd tolerate.
Meeko 11:14 AM 11-11-2011
I have it in my contract that deliberate damage has to be compensated. Make the mom pay for it. he's old enough to know better.

Nap mats are not required here, so I don't use them anymore. I have carpet in my playroom and a huge rug on top of that. It's very soft. The kids just grab their blankets and crash out.
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 11-11-2011
I wouldn't let him have a mat anymore.

I would also give it to the parents and ask for a replacement. Intentional destruction of things is NOT part of the job. My handbook actually states that anything a child willfully destroys will be the parents responsibility to replace, repair or pay for.

Our licensing regs state only that each child have a separate sleeping are and fresh bedding. It says nothing about whether they need a mat or not.
DCMom 11:22 AM 11-11-2011
At my house, that mat would be going home with him/her tonight with a request for $??.00 to replace it. I wouldn't count on them replacing the actual item.

Then he/she would not be sleeping on a mat for a very long while.

I also have a deliberate destruction clause in my policies; kids have no respect for things these days. I always send home toys that someone breaks or books they tear beyond repair.
MARSTELAC 11:50 AM 11-11-2011
I know they won't replace it but I will mention it. You all are right, there is no respect. I thought they had to be on a cot, mat, sleeping bag, or bed in all states?
littlemommy 12:03 PM 11-11-2011
I had a 2 year old attempt that on Wednesday. It's a well used one, so I'm not sure if there was a tiny hole that he made bigger or not. Right now it's fixable with tape. Either way, if it happens again they will be charged. That stuff isn't cheap!
boysx5 12:05 PM 11-11-2011
I have had to put pillow cases over them to keep one of my dcb who is no longer here from doing that
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 11-11-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
I know they won't replace it but I will mention it. You all are right, there is no respect. I thought they had to be on a cot, mat, sleeping bag, or bed in all states?
I PM'ed you
Tags:nap mat
Reply Up