Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>In Need Of New Nap Routine
AnythingsPossible 10:19 AM 05-11-2012
Happy provider appreciation day!

I am looking for some ideas for a new nap routine for my group. Currently, we eat lunch, do bathroom/diaper changes, set nap cots out, they can play with quiet toys if some lunch eaters are taking longer, then we read 2 to 3 books before we lay down.

I have 5 that are 2 and under and the book reading is not going well at all! They jump on their cots, get up and get toys, bounce, yell, growl, you name it, they do it! They don't get the concept of sitting quietly and listening to the book. I would like to move book time to earlier in the day, and do something else for 5 to 10 minutes at nap time to relax everyone.

Does anyone have a relaxing nap time routine that doesn't involve story time? I am thinking of doing something that involves having them lie down on their cots and listen/visualize things, but am afraid that may be far reaching for the age group.
cheerfuldom 10:25 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:

I am looking for some ideas for a new nap routine for my group. Currently, we eat lunch, do bathroom/diaper changes, set nap cots out, they can play with quiet toys if some lunch eaters are taking longer, then we read 2 to 3 books before we lay down.

I have 5 that are 2 and under and the book reading is not going well at all! They jump on their cots, get up and get toys, bounce, yell, growl, you name it, they do it! They don't get the concept of sitting quietly and listening to the book. I would like to move book time to earlier in the day, and do something else for 5 to 10 minutes at nap time to relax everyone.

Does anyone have a relaxing nap time routine that doesn't involve story time? I am thinking of doing something that involves having them lie down on their cots and listen/visualize things, but am afraid that may be far reaching for the age group.
Audio books! Or CD music that is calming. I have all the kids sit at the table till the others are done eating so i am not corralling kids that are ready for naps and kids that are slow eaters. Perhaps you could try book time while the kids are at the table still?
Country Kids 10:28 AM 05-11-2012
We do storytime in the morning right after circle time.

Sounds like yours might be to tired by this time to be able to sit still and listen.

I serve my lunch in courses and while they eat, I hang up black out curtains, lay out blankets, get things ready for the next course. I close the curtains in the livingroom also which connects to the kitchen and daycare room. I also keep the lights low or off in the eating area (lots of natural night don't worry). They tend to start really start settling down during all this. When we are done, we do bathroom time and then go lay down. Most are asleep within minutes because of creating the calming effect throughout the entire lunchtime.

Another thing you might do is read the stories during lunch. This way it would give them the story and have them concentrating on something to quiet them down during lunch.

Good Luck!
momofsix 11:31 AM 05-11-2012
Maybe 2-3 books is too many for them?
We read one story from a children's Bible (the lights are already out and the quiet time music already playing). After the story everyone goes to their cots. I then go to each child and say a little prayer with them. Basically just a "thank you for dck, thank you he got to play in the sandbox and learn about baby owls. Help him to have a good quiet time. (All of my dcfs share my beliefs and are good with this). By the time I'm finishing each child's prayer they're eyes are already closing
Meeko 01:53 PM 05-11-2012
I have a cd that plays soothing music along with waves breaking on the shore. It's hypnotic and works like a charm.

It's just called "Sleep" and the company is called Reflections of Nature. It plays for 48 minutes. Can't remember exactly where I got it, but it was Walmart/Kmart/Shopko or such.
quietpoet2004 04:29 PM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:

I have 4 kids 2 and under.... we eat, clean up, potty/diapers, lay down and turn on music.... they are typically out within 5 minutes. I also have the kids sit at the table until their friends finish eating, so I don't have to deal with coralling anyone.
Hunni Bee 06:02 PM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I have a cd that plays soothing music along with waves breaking on the shore. It's hypnotic and works like a charm.

It's just called "Sleep" and the company is called Reflections of Nature. It plays for 48 minutes. Can't remember exactly where I got it, but it was Walmart/Kmart/Shopko or such.
I have the same one....its awesome.

The toddler teacher at my center has a super simple nap routine - eat, clean up/potty/diaper and bed. No quiet toys or books. I think all toys are loud toys to toddlers, and its probably amping them up when they're tired rather than calming them down.
Meeko 09:03 AM 05-13-2012
The saying "Music calms the savage beast" works for kids too!
Unregistered 01:19 PM 05-14-2012
Lunch is at 12:00, they usually finish up around 12:30ish, I start getting mats ready, closing curtains, they go down for a nap at 1:00. I agree that toys might be a distraction? I dont really know though since I've never allowed them during nap time.
dEHmom 06:05 AM 05-15-2012
my kids start lunch at 11:15-:11:30 (depends how long it takes to get everything served up). They are usually dozing off during lunch time, which makes it sometimes take until 12:15 to eat.

I wash up their hands/faces and get bums changed as they finish up, and then set up the playpens. If it's not 12:30 yet, they get to have hair done (i have girls under 2). By 12:30 they are in their beds and asleep within 30 seconds. I don't do music or books with them before bed, they don't sit still for a story, but they will cuddle with me before bed if we have time.
Tags:nap routine
Reply Up