Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-16-2016, 03:22 PM
KIDZRMYBIZ's Avatar
KIDZRMYBIZ KIDZRMYBIZ is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 669
Default Different Kind of Convo About Shoes

I had a dcm take her child to a specialist because she was convinced her almost 2yo's very normal way of crazy running meant he had bad hips. His hips are perfect (surprise...not). But an article she read in the waiting room said that tippy toe walking (which he does, only sometimes, for fun, like a normal 2yo) can shorten the achilles tendon, so she is convinced he needs to wear high top tennies at all times.

I am a no-shoes daycare. My biggest worry is stepping on little fingers. I wouldn't even hesitate if it were truly a special needs kind of situation, but a fabricated one is kinda finding the end of my patience.

Do I let it roll off my back, abide, and just wait for dcm to get bored with it, or do I make her bring a dr note and blame it on liability insurance (a little unbelievable) or something?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,840
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ View Post
I had a dcm take her child to a specialist because she was convinced her almost 2yo's very normal way of crazy running meant he had bad hips. His hips are perfect (surprise...not). But an article she read in the waiting room said that tippy toe walking (which he does, only sometimes, for fun, like a normal 2yo) can shorten the achilles tendon, so she is convinced he needs to wear high top tennies at all times.

I am a no-shoes daycare. My biggest worry is stepping on little fingers. I wouldn't even hesitate if it were truly a special needs kind of situation, but a fabricated one is kinda finding the end of my patience.

Do I let it roll off my back, abide, and just wait for dcm to get bored with it, or do I make her bring a dr note and blame it on liability insurance (a little unbelievable) or something?
I would make her bring a note from the pediatrician stating this was a medical necessity. Especially if you are worried about little fingers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-16-2016, 04:08 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

The early intervention physical therapist I worked said it was worth a chat with the pediatrician when toe walking when it was frequent and not showing any signs of improving by age two. Lots of toddlers and new walkers toe walk at some point. It's novel. Most don't continue to toe walk because it's not a particularly easy or comfortable way to get around. Here is some information you may find helpful: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/con-20034585
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-16-2016, 04:24 PM
Denali's Avatar
Denali Denali is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ View Post
I had a dcm take her child to a specialist because she was convinced her almost 2yo's very normal way of crazy running meant he had bad hips. His hips are perfect (surprise...not). But an article she read in the waiting room said that tippy toe walking (which he does, only sometimes, for fun, like a normal 2yo) can shorten the achilles tendon, so she is convinced he needs to wear high top tennies at all times.

I am a no-shoes daycare. My biggest worry is stepping on little fingers. I wouldn't even hesitate if it were truly a special needs kind of situation, but a fabricated one is kinda finding the end of my patience.

Do I let it roll off my back, abide, and just wait for dcm to get bored with it, or do I make her bring a dr note and blame it on liability insurance (a little unbelievable) or something?
My son's pediatrician (my son did tip toe walking and just had a hard time walking in general) told us high top tennis shoes can promote flatfoot walking. Something to point out to Mom and suggest she talks to her pediatrician and get help with, as they are the professional and expert for these things.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-16-2016, 04:30 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,820
Default

IF there is a problem with her child's feet, high top shoes are not going to solve the issue. I'd encourage her to see whatever doctor she needs to see to put her mind at ease, but remind her that there are NO SHOES IN YOUR HOUSE. Just tell her that it's non-negotiable.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-16-2016, 04:39 PM
laundrymom's Avatar
laundrymom laundrymom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,222
Default

I would encourage her to explore that theory. I would adhere to whatever recommendations they have and allow whatever corrective footwear they provide however, I would require a plan of action. Complete with explanation of condition, length of corrective action plan and complete medical description. I would require a complete change of footwear/braces to be left at your house to limit dirt transmission. I would also require mom to put them on and take off each day.
If they "forget" to do it they can come back to do it so you don't do it wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-16-2016, 05:55 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,078
Default

High top tennies....

Nice try mom!

Never heard about the therapeutic benefits of high tops...
Good to know!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-16-2016, 07:16 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
High top tennies....

Nice try mom!

Never heard about the therapeutic benefits of high tops...
Good to know!
There isn't a therapeutic benefit but high tops back up against the Achilles' tendon. It makes it hard to toe walk. The shoes become the deterrent. They are sometimes recommend for kids who aren't severe enough to need orthotics. (Or for kids who were toe walking due to sensory issues)

Interestingly, sometimes light up shoes are also recommended to discourage toe walking. (Moreover to encourage walking properly).

http://nspt4kids.com/therapy/types-o...e-toe-walking/
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-16-2016, 07:27 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedmommy4 View Post
There isn't a therapeutic benefit but high tops back up against the Achilles' tendon. It makes it hard to toe walk. The shoes become the deterrent. They are sometimes recommend for kids who aren't severe enough to need orthotics. (Or for kids who were toe walking due to sensory issues)

Interestingly, sometimes light up shoes are also recommended to discourage toe walking. (Moreover to encourage walking properly).

http://nspt4kids.com/therapy/types-o...e-toe-walking/
Hmm, my ds was a toe walker. Has/had sensory issues and is an Aspie. The one shoe type his Dr said to avoid was high tops. Said they created a false suport through the ankle while leaving the foot under worked. Made reference to trying to walk on our foot when it's asleep.. (?) I am paraphrasing.. I know nothing about OT/PT stuff. I just loved this little red pair of high tops my son had and remember feeling bummed that he wouldn't really get to wear them. Maybe they've learned more or shoes have changed since.. My ds is 25 now and this was back when he was a young pre-schooler.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-16-2016, 08:22 PM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Hmm, my ds was a toe walker. Has/had sensory issues and is an Aspie. The one shoe type his Dr said to avoid was high tops. Said they created a false suport through the ankle while leaving the foot under worked. Made reference to trying to walk on our foot when it's asleep.. (?) I am paraphrasing.. I know nothing about OT/PT stuff. I just loved this little red pair of high tops my son had and remember feeling bummed that he wouldn't really get to wear them. Maybe they've learned more or shoes have changed since.. My ds is 25 now and this was back when he was a young pre-schooler.
It's possible. Look at how often recommendations in ECE change. I know they have been recommending them at least 4-5 years. That said, the therapists on the school district staff said that best practice is for the doctor to rule out orthopedic issues. Then the high tops could be tried . . . If it's a persistent issue.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-17-2016, 04:36 AM
Pepperth's Avatar
Pepperth Pepperth is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 678
Default

She should definitely see her pediatrician if she suspects any issues. My son had orthopedic supports for his shoes and had to wear his shoes at daycare all the time. I had such hard time finding reasonably-priced shoes wide enough to fit the supports that I usually ended up buying skateboarding shoes. One time, he needed new shoes and the only pair I could find locally was a pair of high top DC's that had laces. I felt horrible for his provider. At least, they only had to be removed at naptime.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-17-2016, 09:14 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Hmm, my ds was a toe walker. Has/had sensory issues and is an Aspie. The one shoe type his Dr said to avoid was high tops. Said they created a false suport through the ankle while leaving the foot under worked. Made reference to trying to walk on our foot when it's asleep.. (?) I am paraphrasing.. I know nothing about OT/PT stuff. I just loved this little red pair of high tops my son had and remember feeling bummed that he wouldn't really get to wear them. Maybe they've learned more or shoes have changed since.. My ds is 25 now and this was back when he was a young pre-schooler.
My autistic ds had the same recommendation. They actually told us to let him go barefoot as much as possible.

I had a dck with autism last summer and the same issue- no high tops.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-17-2016, 11:20 AM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

Yeah, I would definitely not change house rules because dcm wants her child to wear shoes all the time. She can do that at home.

No shoes are allowed in my house, I wear them at times but I'm the boss(see how that works..), safety is another concern of mine as well.

Those two things trump what dcm wants big time.

Just say no.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
orthopedic shoes, shoes, shoes in house, special requests

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shoes On or Shoes Off?? busymommy0420 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 16 09-16-2014 01:56 PM
Shoes for a Tip Toe Walker jenboo Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 04-10-2014 02:19 PM
4 Yr Old And Shoes alyssyn Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 12-17-2010 04:33 PM
Shoes gkids09 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 03-19-2010 02:43 PM
Trouble with Parents Taking Their Shoes Off? momma2girls Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 11-25-2009 02:59 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming