Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With No Food From Outside Policy
Second Home 05:53 AM 12-10-2014
With the changing regulations in 2015 I will be adding a no food from outside policy to my handbook ( as well as some other things) .

In the past I have never really had a big issue with people bringing in food from outside in the past , occasionally candy or gum which gets handed right back to the parent . But lately I have 2 that will bring in baggies of food and a drink just about every day and it is what I serve anyway . I am tired of washing out extra sippy cups ( for 5yr olds) , or forgetting to give the cup back and the kid MUST have their special cup and they need to come back for the cup. And they never eat the food they bring anyway .

I need help with the wording . Everything I type up sounds harsh , like I am being a B .
I know many of you are great with wording things nicely and straight to the point , I would be grateful for any help .
KiddieCahoots 07:25 AM 12-10-2014
Here is my policy, hope it's helpful.....

Please do not send your child to the child care with any food.
This is important for many reasons;
1. Young children tend to be possessive of individual items, including food, which can disrupt positive peer interaction.
2. Choking hazard. It is a fact that children are prone to choking more frequently if allowed to walk and eat, rather than sit. At the child care food is served only while sitting at the table. Unexpected choking can also occur if a child has picked up and eaten a dropped piece of food from another child.
3. Allergies. Having a food item in hand and touching a toy, can possibly spread any food oils to the toys and expose other children to potential allergens.
4. Cleanliness of the child care. Toddlers are naturally messy with food. A great effort is made to sanitize and keep the child care clean, please be courteous of this.
*If you are considering bringing a food item to the child care for ALL of the children, please get prior consent to avoid any allergy issues.
Shell 07:27 AM 12-10-2014
As of (x date) food from home will no longer be permitted. We have plenty of food, drinks, and snacks here for the children. Thank you for your cooperation. (If you want to sound a little softer, you could mention how it will be easier on the parents not to have to pack any extras). Hope that helps.
KSDC 07:43 AM 12-10-2014
You mentioned that this policy is at least in part due to the new regulations that you are getting. I would totally blame the regs, if I was wanting to not look like the bad guy.

In order for us to comply with some of the new daycare regulations that the State has passed, ABC Daycare we have a new food policy. Beginning on x date, no outside food or drinks will be allowed in the daycare. Thank you in advance for your cooperation!
SignMeUp 10:06 AM 12-10-2014
"Because of licensing rules & food allergies, please do not send food from home with your child. If your child needs something to eat before or after child care, please have it at home or in your vehicle."
craftymissbeth 11:57 AM 12-10-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
"Because of licensing rules & food allergies, please do not send food from home with your child. If your child needs something to eat before or after child care, please have it at home or in your vehicle."

I also added to my policy this year that if food or drink comes in with the children then the parent is responsible for taking it away. AND that if it makes the child upset that they will need to wait on the porch or vehicle until their child is ready to participate.

Same with toys or anything else that isn't allowed at daycare.
Reply Up