Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Eco Friendly Daycare
Unregistered 10:13 AM 06-21-2010
Does any have any eco friendly daycare?
I'm looking for help on getting my eco friendly daycare started. supplies to use, furniture, toys, etc.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreicated.
thank you
professionalmom 01:29 PM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Does any have any eco friendly daycare?
I'm looking for help on getting my eco friendly daycare started. supplies to use, furniture, toys, etc.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreicated.
thank you
Do you have or use eco-friendly cleaning products already? I do. I made the switch in January. If you would like some recipes for eco-friendly cleaning products, I can list some later today. I don't buy the stuff in the stores. I make my own. But vinegar and/or baking soda works wonders for most situations. Sometimes there are a few things you can add in. You can't believe how much I save on laundry detergent just by using vinegar & salt for colors or vinegar & washing soda (not baking soda) for whites. DIRT CHEAP, totally safe, & works just as good (often better) than the stuff you buy in the store! I actually market myself as an eco-friendly, chemical free home daycare and I have gotten a lot of positive comments about it.
Greenshadow 04:01 PM 06-21-2010
I run a mostly-eco-friendly daycare. I make my cleaning products and also buy some from Method or Seventh Generation. I only buy used toys and try to stay away from plastic toys when I can, but am also realistic and realize they are out there so I do have a few. I never buy new. I dont write out a daily sheet for each parent showing what they ate, how many times they went to the bathroom, etc. I have a facebook account where I update what the kids ate that day and just a general outline of how the day went. I also just tell the parents when they pick up their child. I offer a coupon exchange between the parents. If they have coupons they dont use, they add them to the box and take the ones they would use. The parents love it. I grow most of my own food when the season allows it. I compost and recycle EVERYTHING I can. The kids are involved daily with both of these. We do crafts based on Eco-Friendliness and we take walks to pick up trash in our neighborhood. Thats all I have time to write about for now but maybe it gives you a few ideas to get started!
My Daycare 06:00 PM 06-21-2010
I also make my own cleaning supplies. They work just as well and when vinegar dries it does not smell anymore. If your state allows you can use 7th Generation disinfectant spray for disinfecting. My state allows it because it is approved by the EPA as a disinfectant. It does smell funny (made w/ Thyme), but not toxic.
Unregistered 06:06 PM 06-21-2010
Thank you for your help. It definitely allows me to get started in the right direction. I currently use seventh generation products most of the time in my home already. I definitely interested in making my own. I compose and recycle as much as possible. I have another question about art supplies are there paints or a place to get earth friendly products?? where do you buy your supplies?

thanks
mnm
Tags:eco-friendly, recycle
Reply Up