Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Summers Off
small_steps 05:05 AM 11-17-2011
Do any of you keep only teachers children? I would love to be able to have the summers off and possibly the breaks that the teachers get so I could spend time with my own children who are all under 8. I think it would be fairly easy to get only teachers kids in my area. I would just have to save money throughout the year to get by.
Does anyone else do this and how does it work for you guys? Are you really refreshed after the summer break?
Logged out 05:12 AM 11-17-2011
I keep only teachers kids. I use my tax return for the summer. It works for us. We love it.
small_steps 05:45 AM 11-17-2011
Using tax return is a great idea. As far as I know there isnt any other daycare in my town that would do this for teachers and we have several schools near us so Im hoping it would be fairly easy to fill up. Right now I'm full and have 3-soon to be 4 teachers kids and 4 that aren't so I would gradually do this.'I probably wouldn't have this summer off but maybe next summer
beachgrl 06:10 AM 11-17-2011
I would love to be able to do this..I know several and being one myself, I know how to arrange through my bank to put the set amount of $ back monthly to get a salary over the summer but there is a local Chrisian academy through a large church in our area that a lot of them send their kids to so idk, maybe one day I can switch over when more people know I am here..who knows.

I figure I will be getting some of the holidays now, I can make the best use of my weekends in the summer to get my beach time in and I can even go after work then too especially it's super hot, the evenings are best time to go! I will miss getting as much time in volunteering with our local sea turtle organization as I did this past summer but I am hoping to even stii get time in for that since I won't be taking classes over the summer.
Sunchimes 08:54 AM 11-17-2011
Our school district has a day care center for employees. They pay low, low rates-even less than my ridiculously low rate. They put one private preschool out of business and who knows how many home providers when they started this. I think it's wrong. If it was hard to get teachers and they needed an incentive, it might make sense, but there is no shortage of teachers around here.

It's a small town, and the school is probably the second biggest employer in town, behind Walmart. Maybe the first. Basically, my tax dollars restrict my business.
small_steps 09:10 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Our school district has a day care center for employees. They pay low, low rates-even less than my ridiculously low rate. They put one private preschool out of business and who knows how many home providers when they started this. I think it's wrong. If it was hard to get teachers and they needed an incentive, it might make sense, but there is no shortage of teachers around here.

It's a small town, and the school is probably the second biggest employer in town, behind Walmart. Maybe the first. Basically, my tax dollars restrict my business.
That stinks for you and other daycare providers in your area. Our town has nothing like that and with budget cuts the way they are in our area I don't see them building a daycare anytime soon....at least, I hope they don't.

The more I think of this idea, the more I like it. I just need to start putting away money NOW! That will be the hardest part for me.
misspollywog 12:08 PM 11-17-2011
With Yellowstone as our backyard, I would LOVE to get only teacher's and student's kids so I could have summers off. I am working on ways to target these dcf's specifically.

Any tips would be sooo appreciated!
AfterSchoolMom 12:21 PM 11-17-2011
I generally (until this school year) watch school aged kids, so I take off every summer. I make a budget for those 11 weeks, then add on $20 per week for "incidentals"...that gives me a total and a savings goal. Then I save a set amount every week during the school year so that by the time June comes, I'm all set.

I used that method for the last four years, and it worked out beautifully.
Christian Mother 01:16 PM 11-17-2011
I have 4 families in my care...one of them is a teacher and she ashually works during the summer as a summer school teacher so I normally watch her son that week all but Fri's. She did say that this up coming summer the school told her she could ashually bring her son to work with her. I think they have a preschool program she can place her son in for free. Not sure if they will keep him there the remainder of the yr to cut back on costs or if he'll be back with me the next school yr. What do you all do for kids that are out during the summer but return the next yr. Do you make the parents pay a holding fee and how much?
Tags:summer break, teacher's children, time off
Reply Up