Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Almost Went Totally Off On A Cyber Person....
cheerfuldom 09:54 AM 12-08-2011
we were talking about gifts for a daycare provider on a parenting forum. one mom said her provider is getting nothing. she "already pays for the one week vacation time and is not inclined to give her provider anymore cash" I sweetly (ha ha, not really) explained that the vacation pay was part of the agreement, something her provider is earning the rest of the year, it is not a gift to the provider because if the parent didnt give it they would get termed. then I went on to define what a business agreement is and what a gift is and explain how it is important to acknowledge the person who cares for your child. the vast majority of other moms agreed with me.
cheerfuldom 10:02 AM 12-08-2011
okay she got blasted from a few people and reposted an apology! wow!
Michelle 10:05 AM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
okay she got blasted from a few people and reposted an apology! wow!
what site is it, may I ask?
Zoe 10:05 AM 12-08-2011
Good for you. I'm not expecting anything this year from any of my dcp's. Even though they're all super wonderful, I was hurt last year when I didn't even get a Merry Christmas. So I'm lowering my expectations this year. But oh my goodness, what that parent said was atrocious and I hope she realizes just how crappy she was being with that attitude.
rbmom 10:40 AM 12-08-2011
I'm glad you did that!! Like standing up for us all!
Unregistered 10:53 AM 12-08-2011
I can't believe that you guys don't get anything from your parents! I have a group of 9 friends and everything gives their providor something--homemade granola and a card or up to $200 cash. I spend more on my providor than I do on just about anyone else on my list. She is getting a treat, a cute shirt and $100 gift card. Who are these people that don't do anything?
Meeko 11:11 AM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
Good for you. I'm not expecting anything this year from any of my dcp's. Even though they're all super wonderful, I was hurt last year when I didn't even get a Merry Christmas. So I'm lowering my expectations this year. But oh my goodness, what that parent said was atrocious and I hope she realizes just how crappy she was being with that attitude.
I learn not to expect anything and then when I do it's a nice surprise!

I've had dcp's give me expensive and/or thoughtful gifts and I've had dcp's who never give anything and one even complained I was closed on Christmas Day! (She worked at a 24hr fast food place and she had to do a 4 hour shift Christmas afternoon. As it was a weekday, and "only 4 hours" she was most put out when i said no!
Zoe 11:15 AM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I can't believe that you guys don't get anything from your parents! I have a group of 9 friends and everything gives their providor something--homemade granola and a card or up to $200 cash. I spend more on my providor than I do on just about anyone else on my list. She is getting a treat, a cute shirt and $100 gift card. Who are these people that don't do anything?

I was pretty hurt, but then felt silly because it wasn't like I was being selfish. Just maybe a token of appreciation. Is that too much to ask?

Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I learn not to expect anything and then when I do it's a nice surprise!

I've had dcp's give me expensive and/or thoughtful gifts and I've had dcp's who never give anything and one even complained I was closed on Christmas Day! (She worked at a 24hr fast food place and she had to do a 4 hour shift Christmas afternoon. As it was a weekday, and "only 4 hours" she was most put out when i said no!
That's my thought exactly. I don't really NEED any presents or whatever, just a nice "hey thanks for taking such good care of my babies!" It would make my day. All I want for Christmas is appreciation....

I really hope the mom from the other forum learns the error of her ways.
WImom 11:30 AM 12-08-2011
Last year I got nothing from two families and a candle from another two. In years past I've gotten money, gift cards and other gifts as well as very nice cards with appreciation notes in them or cards from the kids. I like getting the money (who doesn't) but I really like the cards and notes.

I usually use any money I get for the daycare anyways.
small_steps 11:43 AM 12-08-2011
Last year was my first year (had about 8 families) and didn't even get a Christmas card. Presents are nice and thoughtful but I agree with some of the others...just a few words to show I'm appreciated for going above and beyond would make my day.
Ariana 12:03 PM 12-08-2011
Originally Posted by small_steps:
Last year was my first year (had about 8 families) and didn't even get a Christmas card. Presents are nice and thoughtful but I agree with some of the others...just a few words to show I'm appreciated for going above and beyond would make my day.
Yes a nice heartfelt written note in a card is more than enough to make my day
mismatchedsocks 12:09 PM 12-08-2011
To me honestly if you dont have the money, write me a letter telling me what i do is appreciated. Thats it.

I have one family I have had for years. Never acknowledged anything I do, take their kids on field trips, send home birthday gifts, christmas gifts, treats, national provider day, my birthday NOTHING. I have stopped sending home things for the parents ( like coupons, homemade treats, etc) and just started focusing on the children HERE. They open their gifts here and they are grateful!

I have many families give me things at christmas, and i am grateful for those families. After all I see their child probably more then anyone in their lives, so its pretty nice to know i AM appreciated and not taken for granted. That is what giving is about, to show someone you care.
youretooloud 12:13 PM 12-08-2011
I never expect anything. But, I am ALWAYS treated to wonderful thoughtful gifts from most if not all of my parents.

One even makes gifts. Last year, she decorated an old metal bandaid box, and put gift cards inside it... I actually loved the bandaid box the most.
Kaddidle Care 12:52 PM 12-08-2011
It's always interesting to see who gives and who doesn't and it's always a surprise.

My motto: Never expect and you'll always be happy.
(When it comes to gifts that is.)
kayla 01:40 PM 12-08-2011
i have never recieved anything from any parents. I dont expect anything but "have a nice christmas" would be nice to here. Or a thankyou for the gifts i get their child would be nice. But it has just been expected. I find it so rude and dont know how people can act this way...
cheerfuldom 04:13 PM 12-08-2011
I am spoiled. My current DC families are so great. Last year, one of them gave me a full weeks pay in cash as a bonus! the others did cards, gift cards and such.
Nellie 05:51 PM 12-08-2011
I am spoiled. My current DC families are so great. Last year, one of them gave me a full weeks pay in cash as a bonus! the others did cards, gift cards and such.
When I brought my daughter to daycare my mom told me that you were suppose to tip her one two weeks work of pay. And that is what I have always done. I always did one week to providers that charged for there holidays and vacations. Providers that didn't charge on holidays or there vacations I typically gave 2 to 3 weeks worth of pay. I always assumed that one week was typical. I don't expect not anything from my families and when I get something I'm delighted. .
cheerfuldom 07:21 AM 12-09-2011
Yes, one weeks pay is the "rule" for providers. Its two or three weeks for a nanny.
Zoe 07:26 AM 12-09-2011
Yes, one weeks pay is the "rule" for providers. Its two or three weeks for a nanny.
I'm glad you put "rule" the way you did. I've heard that's typical, but I doubt it's common now. Times are tough, I doubt mailmen, daycare providers, etc are getting any sort of tips like that anymore. I'm not complaining, it just doesn't seem realistic at this point.
kayla 07:26 AM 12-09-2011
man i need to get parents like you guys!!!
SilverSabre25 07:30 AM 12-09-2011
Last year I got a $25 gift card and a cookbook (that suits my particular dietary restrictions, so I loved it!) from one family and nothing from the others.

This year, my clients have all been with me for over a year, almost two in one case, so I'm curious. I'm also going all out as far as crafts and parent gifts go, so it should be interesting to see if I get anything. I'm aiming to be sending the craft stuff home by the end of next week.
cheerfuldom 07:52 AM 12-09-2011
i always wondered....why would you tip your mailman?
Zoe 07:54 AM 12-09-2011
i always wondered....why would you tip your mailman?
If I had the means, I would TOTALLY tip my mail lady. She is fabulous! She comes at the same time every day. She has to walk her entire route, even in the MN winter. She leaves the packages for me on the doorstep and doesn't ring the doorbell because she knows I have kids sleeping during that time. She pets my dogs when they're outside and brings treats.

Love. her. She's going to get some cookies from me and a nice card saying how much I appreciate her.
cheerfuldom 08:48 AM 12-09-2011
okay if we had mail people that walked, I would consider it. All our mail people drive and it is not the same person or the same time everyday. In fact, one of our people is SO rude. Never says hi, even if my kids are right there and wanting to say hi. I would not want them to get a tip, just the good people!
Tags:parents - don't appreciate, ungrateful
Reply Up