Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Did You Just Ask Me?
BumbleBee 05:20 PM 03-12-2014
SA dck is having a cavity between 2 teeth filled/taken care of (idk what they do. I have no cavities so no experience) tomorrow morning. It's dck's first experience w/numbing shot(s).

Dcm asked if dck could come here if she wasn't able to go back to school.

What the wha???? Um....really? I'm still a bit surprised-this dcm seemed more "responsible parent" than that. Guess not. I said no, but still, who asks that???
Crazy8 05:25 PM 03-12-2014
in DCM's mind the child is not sick so why couldn't they come to you??? In your mind you know you run a group care and can not give the child the attention they may need afterwards.
daycare 05:40 PM 03-12-2014
I stopped allowing kid to come back. one drop off one pick up.

being that this kid is school aged, are they not dropped off in the morning.

Warrning, I had a dcb that went to the dentist for a filling and at home bit his lip when it was still numb. I sent dck home do to major discomfort and swelling. the parents were mad. sure enough, dck ended up with an infection on his mouth.
BumbleBee 05:45 PM 03-12-2014
No morning drop off for this SA. After school only.

My original post wasn't completely clear. Dcm wants to bring dck to me after the dentist. I say if dck can't go to school after the dentist, dck needs to be home-not here.
daycare 05:56 PM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
No morning drop off for this SA. After school only.

My original post wasn't completely clear. Dcm wants to bring dck to me after the dentist. I say if dck can't go to school after the dentist, dck needs to be home-not here.
if I did SA, my rule would be that if they can't go to school they can't come to care.

I have a dck who has been with me forever. she is now in 2nd grade. when she started school, she was getting suspended for the day for hitting etc. DCM needed to work so she would call to ask if she could come here. I love dcg and she never did the things she was doing at school.

well dcm comes and tells me she can't do any fun stuff she has to sit out for the day. I told mom NO, I am not going to punish her for what happened at school, that is your responsibility as her parent to follow through with. DCM said well I guess I will deal with it when I get home I hvae to get back to work.

So long story short, I decided if they cant be at school for a reason, then they can't come here either. Unless of course the school is closed
VTMom 06:47 PM 03-12-2014
You did the right thing. I put that specific policy in my handbook: can't go to school, can't come here. I had a DCB that was a handful and I fully expected DCM to try to unload him if/when he was suspended from school (I still watched younger brother). It's come in handy when a different DCM wanted her daughter to come here for the day "just in case" she didn't want to go back to school after an appointment. Ummm...nope.
Lucy 07:39 PM 03-12-2014
I get that I'm different, but I'd let them.
Lucy 07:42 PM 03-12-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
dcm comes and tells me she can't do any fun stuff she has to sit out for the day. I told mom NO, I am not going to punish her for what happened at school, that is your responsibility as her parent to follow through with.
I do agree with that. I've told them I won't adhere to their "home" punishments. It's not my place.
cheerfuldom 08:03 PM 03-12-2014
I wouldn't allow them to come because I know that dental work can really be painful for kids and I wouldnt want to be stuck with a miserable kid. I don't dose for Tylenol or any other meds. I also wouldnt change our schedule to accommodate a child that wanted to lay down or whatever.
Blackcat31 07:57 AM 03-13-2014
A couple years ago I had a 3 yr DCK go in for adenoid and tonsil removal at 7am.

Mom wanted to know if she could drop child off as soon as the Dr released them from the hospital.

Um, NO!

I've had parents that are having tubes in their child's ears ask the same thing...."Can I drop them back off when they are done?" *sigh*
Tags:medication, pain, unreasonable expectations, unreasonable parental expectations
Reply Up