Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interrupting - What Do You Do?
tenderhearts 11:46 AM 02-23-2018
I know that I'm probably not the only one who has this issue so I'm hoping someone has some advise that has worked for them.
All of the kids interrupt each other ALL THE TIME, it's like a game of who can get it out first and become the loudest. They interrupt me even and I do not put up with interrupting. I know a lot of it is parents because I will have kids interrupt us when we are talking and I ignore or put my finger up but they will override it and ask what they want. Anyways it's just getting so frustrating lately. I have tried so many things and nothing is working.
Michael 11:56 AM 02-23-2018
Here is a similar thread with some good suggestions: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31312
MomBoss 12:12 PM 02-23-2018
I have a problem with this with a dcg who interupts when im talking to another parent.
She wants the parent to listen to her story, look at her pretty dress, or ask the parent a random question. I ignore kids who interrupt and act like I dont hear them. But What drives me crazy is that the parent will stop talking to me and acknowledge the dcg and respond to whatever she is saying. Idk who is more rude, the child or the parent lol.
tenderhearts 12:23 PM 02-23-2018
The thing is I have 6 kids who do this at the same time.
tenderhearts 12:27 PM 02-23-2018
Thanks for the link I'll read through it. It's difficult when I tell a child in front of the parent we are talking and they need to wait their turn but the parent will almost always override me and ask what they need. I just feel I repeat the same thing constantly all day long
Blackcat31 12:56 PM 02-23-2018
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Thanks for the link I'll read through it. It's difficult when I tell a child in front of the parent we are talking and they need to wait their turn but the parent will almost always override me and ask what they need. I just feel I repeat the same thing constantly all day long
This is a situation where I would "educate" parents first and then start implementing with the kids...

I would maybe give parents a handout or information (I Googled, and a ton of articles popped up) about why it's important to teach kids not to interrupt and let parents know you are working hard on helping the children understand how to get their needs met without being rude or interrupting an adult's conversation. End the correspondence with something like "Thank you in supporting me and my efforts with this topic."

Then figure out how you want to teach the kids, preparing them about a visitor BEFORE the visitor arrives, using a silent hand single or movement to let the child(ren) know they are interrupting or wait... etc...

I have all my DCK's trained to know that if I am talking to a parent, they must wait. (I will put my index finger up and hold it toward the child as a way to silently say "Just one minute") When I am done I will let them know that I am ready and available to listen to them.

If interrupting occurs while the child's parent is present, I have no issues saying something like "Johnny, your mom and are speaking and we practiced what you need to do when that happens. Do you remember what you need to do?" If the parent stops mid-convo to listen to their child, I would also say the same thing to Johnny (crossing my fingers that the parent "gets" that I am passively aggressively speaking to them more than the child ) and if it the parent is just outright rude and doesn't catch what I am trying to do, I just stop talking and say goodbye or something like "If you need to discuss X (whatever you were talking about) further, just send me an e-mail or call me when you are able to give me your full attention."

A rule of thumb for me is to educate parents first about what social skills we are working on and then implement whatever methods I plan to use for teaching those skills after I've informed parents. That way, they know where I am coming from when I am forced to say something. Whether they support me or work against me is up to them but at least they know where my efforts are coming from.

As for the child that wants to talk to other parents...I don't allow parents to talk to other kids and don't allow kids to talk to other adults that aren't there for them.

If the child that interrupts is older, I will have a discussion with them the next day if they rude and interrupted during pick up the evening prior.
Tags:interrupting
Reply Up