Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pimple On Toddlers Butt
MamaBear 01:42 PM 04-12-2011
So a 3 yr old DCG here has had this nasty big red pimple on her butt for a couple days. Her mom took her to the dr today because she said it came to a head last night and popped with yellow puss (GROSS!!!!) The mom just told me that the dr said it was some type of rash maybe from her eczema & gave her antibiotics and a cream to put on it twice a day and so she'd keep her home tomorrow. She didnt have a dr's note to prove it.

I looked online just now out of curiousity what it was and I was finding all these horrible stories about MRSA and staph infections. Sounds like that could be what it is and maybe shes not telling me??

Anyway, I just called the mom & left a message asking her to bring a dr's note next time to clear her to return & what the official diagnosis was. I would be so mad if my other daycare kids got nasty boils on their skin because she wasn't being totally honest with me. Ugh. Anybody have experience with this? Shes had it before when she was a baby and they thought it was a spider bite.

Would the dr really give her antibiotics if was just eczema or a pimple like shes saying?
daycare 01:49 PM 04-12-2011
Wow and eewww. I don't have any issues with this type of rash however I have dealt with HFM. Mom denied it and I was too stupid to require a doc note of diagnoses.

I would call and ask her to call her doc to fax over something stating the outcome.
Or mom can call tomorrow to get the note before she returns. It makes me do mad that parents don't seem to understand that this is not only a DC but our house
BentleysBands 01:55 PM 04-12-2011
Sounds like a boil maybe? But no a doc doesn't give antibiotics for ezxema.I have that. As long as its not oozing and is covered u should be fine. But I wouldn't definitely require a note
countrymom 02:09 PM 04-12-2011
it can be from diapers too (if she is in any) or from it being rubbed like pants, but I get like that on my back depending on which bra i wear. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep the area clean and dry and wear cotton underware.
MamaBear 02:27 PM 04-12-2011
I just talked with the mom and now shes saying that the dr said it could be an infection... not eczema. ERRRRR As soon as I question these people, they start changing their stories. Man oh man.

The DCG is still in diapers, so I just figured it was diaper rash. But I've never seen a puss filled boil on a toddlers butt before. She also has little tiny red bumps like sand paper all over the other areas. Sooo gross.

The mom said she'd get a drs note and that she will keep her home till its healed up more. The bump is literally the size of a dime and the head of it is the size of a lady bug with yellowish color. Its really gross. Oh and she cant even sit down because of it. Blech. At least the mom is keeping her home. Shes on vacation right now anyway so no biggie.

I just bleach cleaned everything JUST in case. Yes Im a germaphobe
nannyde 02:39 PM 04-12-2011
That doesn't sound like a pimple. That sounds like a boil. I would require a note from the doc stating WHAT it is. MRSA is NOTHING to mess with.
Michael 02:57 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
That doesn't sound like a pimple. That sounds like a boil. I would require a note from the doc stating WHAT it is. MRSA is NOTHING to mess with.
Boil is what was thinking.
Mandy_Jane 02:59 PM 04-12-2011
I do have firsthand experience with MRSA. We got a membership to our community center a couple of years ago, and within a month my husband had developed a big red boil on his bottom. It got worse and worse and so inflammed until it was almost the size of an egg. When I felt it, the skin was warm to the touch. He went to the doctor and found out it was a MRSA infection. To treat it, the doctor had to slice open the area, get all of the infection out, and then pack it with gauze. The wound had to be left open to heal because it had to heal from the inside out. I felt so sorry for my poor husband. The numbing shots they gave him around the infected area were apparently the worst pain he's ever felt in his life! The were injecting it right into the inflamed tissue. But they had to do that before they could slice it open.

After the first place healed, he did have another infection in a close by spot. So he had to go through the entire process over again. It was awful! I'm sure it came from the gym equipment at the community center. When I googled it, that was one of the first places listed where someone can get MRSA from. I don't think your dcg has MRSA. It doesn't sound like that to me. At least you know the mom did take her to the doctor. Otherwise she wouldn't have been able to get antibiotics for her.

It really sounds like a boil to me. Boils can get nasty and can become infected. And they can have tons of puss/bloody puss in them when they finally pop. It sounds like that's what is going on here. Also, I'm amazed at the way you talk about this poor little girl. Yes, an infected boil is gross, but you're talking about her like she's some hideous, disgusting monster! I'm sure the parents of the kids in your care would love to see this fine example of how you talk about their kids when something is not to your liking. Gross and nasty are not good words to use to describe a condition a little girl has. I feel sorry for the poor baby. Especially if she can't even sit down.
MamaBear 03:15 PM 04-12-2011
Sorry - I thought this was a place where daycare providers cant talk to eachother and vent about things that happen in their daycares and get opinions from eachother... and NOT be judged by other "providers".

I do not think my DCG is a hideous disgusting monster... I think the huge puss filled boil on her bottom is a hideous disgusting monster! I dont think any provider would enjoy dealing with something like that or the worry of it being contagious.
Michael 03:47 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
Sorry - I thought this was a place where daycare providers cant talk to eachother and vent about things that happen in their daycares and get opinions from each other... and NOT be judged by other "providers".

I do not think my DCG is a hideous disgusting monster... I think the huge puss filled boil on her bottom is a hideous disgusting monster! I dont think any provider would enjoy dealing with something like that or the worry of it being contagious.
Where were you being judged? I can't find it in this thread.
Mandy_Jane 03:49 PM 04-12-2011
I dont think any provider would enjoy dealing with something like that or the worry of it being contagious.
If you had said it like that, I wouldn't have said a word. And yes, you can vent here and complain all you want. It's just your wording that came off as offensive to me. One of my daughter's has eczema and her skin feels like sandpaper on her legs and arms. I was just imagining if I had to take her to a daycare provider who had the same attitude as you, and how sad that would be. Kids get skin conditions. She was taken to the doctor. Just request a doctor's note so you can be sure it's not contagious.
Michael 03:59 PM 04-12-2011
Oh, I see it now. I am going to have to pull out the Forum Cycle thread. It is right on time: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28305
nannyde 04:03 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by Mandy_Jane:
If you had said it like that, I wouldn't have said a word. And yes, you can vent here and complain all you want. It's just your wording that came off as offensive to me. One of my daughter's has eczema and her skin feels like sandpaper on her legs and arms. I was just imagining if I had to take her to a daycare provider who had the same attitude as you, and how sad that would be. Kids get skin conditions. She was taken to the doctor. Just request a doctor's note so you can be sure it's not contagious.
The thing that makes me suspicious that it's just an infection is the moms willingness to keep the kid home for it. If it was MRSA I could see the doc TELLING her... NO daycare period.

If it's just an infection and she's getting oral and topical medication.. I can't see too many daycare parents.. even the ones on vacation.. willing to give up daycare for a single sore on their butt.

That's the part that doesn't make sense and makes me worry that it actually IS something dangerous like MRSA.

This parent may be one to keep her kid home when she is off so I don't know for sure.
MamaBear 04:07 PM 04-12-2011
Michael - that thread is hilarious Thanks for the laugh! I needed that. And yes that is so true, so true.
GretasLittleFriends 04:17 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Oh, I see it now. I am going to have to pull out the Forum Cycle thread. It is right on time: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28305
I was thinking about this reading a different thread earlier today...
AfterSchoolMom 04:36 PM 04-12-2011
My child had a "pimple" in the same area that turned out to be MRSA. It didn't end up as extreme as Mandy_Jane's DH, but we had to go back to the Dr. multiple times to have it drained, and it did develop a nasty, inflamed red circular area around it. I wasn't allowed to have him in contact with other children, take him swimming (obviously), or even to share towels.

I'd say talk to the DCM and make darn sure that it isn't MRSA!!!!!
PitterPatter 04:48 PM 04-12-2011
So a 3 yr old DCG here has had this nasty big red pimple on her butt for a couple days. Her mom took her to the dr today because she said it came to a head last night and popped with yellow puss (GROSS!!!!) The mom just told me that the dr said it was some type of rash maybe from her eczema & gave her antibiotics and a cream to put on it twice a day and so she'd keep her home tomorrow. She didnt have a dr's note to prove it.

I looked online just now out of curiousity what it was and I was finding all these horrible stories about MRSA and staph infections. Sounds like that could be what it is and maybe shes not telling me??

Anyway, I just called the mom & left a message asking her to bring a dr's note next time to clear her to return & what the official diagnosis was. I would be so mad if my other daycare kids got nasty boils on their skin because she wasn't being totally honest with me. Ugh. Anybody have experience with this? Shes had it before when she was a baby and they thought it was a spider bite.

Would the dr really give her antibiotics if was just eczema or a pimple like shes saying?
OMG that's scary! I have a newer child that was brought to me with MRSA same way too pimple/boil on butt! I was told she is on antibiotics at home and also had a cream I had to apply for a week (as it was the end of the breakout) I would ask for a Drs statement simply to protect yourself and your family as well as other kids. I don't know how to put it to the parent tho I am lacking a backbone usually so maybe someone else will have a suggestion for what to say exactly but INHO I would check into this! I have never seen a child on an antibiotic for pimples or eczema! I wouldn't bet money but I bet she's lying to u about that. My childs Dr rarely suggests antibiotics.

Oh and not to steal your thread but this brings a question I wondered about. Being 1 child has had MRSA on her butt and I am potty training 3 should I get a seperate potty for each or are the lysol wipes good enough between each use (on the toilet seat not rear end lol) DCG is ok now I just worry about a possible outbreak in the future with any child.
VTMom 05:33 PM 04-12-2011
Try checking out pictures online for Impetigo. I just had a little guy diagnosed with "a form of strep that is external on his skin" according to mom after the appointment. Doing a little research, I'm pretty sure that my dcb has impetigo. One thing about it that I found is that kids with excema have a higher chance of getting it because its basically an infection (caused by strep or staph) that finds it's way through breakage in the skin.

My dcb has had a nasty cold and his nose was really raw from all the wiping. He now has the a sore looking red rash with a yellowish crust around his nose especially, and red bumps on his thighs and diaper area. He's also on antibiotics and Mom told me she'd be keeping him home tomorrow.
SilverSabre25 06:06 PM 04-12-2011
I thought of that thread too when reading this one up above, lol.

Mama Bear, FWIW, I didn't think that you were referring to the girl in any negative fashion whatsoever.
MamaBear 07:29 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

Mama Bear, FWIW, I didn't think that you were referring to the girl in any negative fashion whatsoever.
Thank you soooo much SilverSabre25
I really appreciate your comment! I really do like coming on here to vent about daycare woes, get advice and share funny stories. Being a daycare provider, its great to chat with other providers that might have the same experiences & chat with 'those' who understand this whole 'daycare world' lol So this forum is great to meet nice people like you So thank you!!!
dEHmom 04:13 AM 04-13-2011
SWEEEEEEEET.

pulling out the mouth guard, ear plugs, boxing gloves and hiding in a corner. I'm ready!
MyAngels 04:19 AM 04-13-2011
I had a little one this year that got MRSA in the diaper area this year, too. It was quite the long, drawn out process dealing with it. The whole family got tested to see if anybody was a "carrier," multiple doctors trips to treat and drain, etc. Fortunately my dcm was able to keep both her kids home for the duration, so no one else here was exposed. I do love my responsible families .

I definitely would ask for a doctor's note, with the diagnosis clearly stated and treatment outlined.

Good luck with this!
dEHmom 04:59 AM 04-13-2011
ok this is incredibly long post on this link I'm going to share, but it's the one by Marguerite way down at the bottom of the page.

i DEFINITELY recommend reading it.

http://www.conductdisorders.com/foru...fection-16419/
MamaBear 06:58 AM 04-13-2011
Wow... thanks for posting that. That was really helpful. The mom puts the little girl on antibiotics A LOT. She gets a cold and the mom gets the dr to put her antibiotics. Its extreme and I've asked her if the dr thinks its necessary and she says yes. Shes on antibiotics at least every other month. I wonder if she is over-using antibiotics its making her more susceptible to this type of infection like this story says.

The mom is supposed to bring me a note today but she said it says its "inconclusive" because the dr wasnt sure what it was... either eczema, yeast infection or just a pimple. I dont think eczema looks like this or needs antibiotics for 10 days... and I've never seen a yeast infection like this either. I'm just glad shes keeping her home this week in case it is MRSA. The bump is big and there were smaller ones developing near it that look like they might get worse. Shes taking her back to the dr Friday to get re-evaluated.
dEHmom 07:29 AM 04-13-2011
I am antibiotic resistant...I was constantly getting pains in my side and in stomach, the pain would start dull and increase in intensity. I would go to a dr, and they'd tell me it was bladder infection, so they gave me antibiotics.
This went on few years, and I remember saying I didn't think I had a bladder infection because I didn't have any other symptoms other than back pain and side pain.

One day I was in so much pain, I was throwing up, and passed out on bathroom floor. DH came home to find me, and took me to hospital, realized it was kidney stones. I had been prescribed so many antibiotics including cipro (possible kidney stone culprit?) that they no longer work on me, I was being treated for stuff I didn't have. The urologist who broke my stones up said, NEVER take antibiotics for a bladder infection unless further tests/xrays/ultrasounds have been done to rule out kidney stones and other causes.

Dr's are over prescribing antibiotics. It's ridiculous how many doctors prefer to just hand out a prescription after a 2 minute visit. I don't take anti biotics unless my family doctor tells me to, and she usually does not prescribe anything. I also prefer to seek out more natural remedy.
morgan24 07:40 AM 04-13-2011
My nephew had MRSA on his butt. It looked like a couple of little pimples and only one of them was big. They had to lance it so they could test it to make sure. I'm glad she is staying home and not exposing you.
TBird 07:55 AM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
My nephew had MRSA on his butt. It looked like a couple of little pimples and only one of them was big. They had to lance it so they could test it to make sure. I'm glad she is staying home and not exposing you.
I don't know a whole lot about MRSA...just seen it on TV and know how you can get it. Why does it always seem to come out on the kids' bottoms???
shanrocks1985 04:00 AM 11-15-2011
It's what I call an 'underwear rash'. He just isn't wiping well enough. Either help him out or let him take little wipeys around so to be sure he cleans up well. Try putting a mild ointment (any diaper rash cream) on his bottom and it should heal up fast.
kayla 01:38 PM 11-15-2011

i had a child with the exact same thing he is 8 mos old and showed up with a big zit on his butt it was so bad it had a bruise because it was soo sore... ifelt terrible, but im positive its just a zit her mother is a dr...
jen 01:57 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

I didn't either!
Unregistered 04:20 PM 01-18-2012
It sounds to me like u don't have children of ur own or u would most likeley been more carefully how u word things because I highly fought u talk to the children and the parents putting their children in ur care I would not want some one with a mouth like ur watching my kids u cant trust anyone how do u kno that one of the other kids ur watching didn't give it to her for all u kno ur passing the germ?
Unregistered 09:08 AM 08-17-2012
To answer your question.

I personally work at a pediatricians office as a MA.

Doctors will prescribe some type of topic lotion/cream for eczema and not antibiotics. Eczema is not contagious and the child would be able to go back to daycare the next day.
What you are explaining does sound like MRSA and the child would be put on antibiotics.
The doctor would NOT give the child a note to return to daycare because MRSA is highly contagious!!
I would also be concern for the other children who are in your care. You are doing the right thing to protect them. If that child does indeed have MRSA, shame on that mother for putting those other children in jeopardy. It’s people like that who start outbreaks!

Sincerely,

MA
Oneluckymom 12:08 PM 08-17-2012
Good one Michael....LOL !
Oneluckymom 12:13 PM 08-17-2012
In all honesty it sounds like a boil. However, boils ESP. Ones on the bottom can quickly escalate to something more serious. With a husband as a Dr. I know that drs will often prescribe antibiotics in a situation like this just to be safe while it heals so that a more serious infection doesn't develop.
Unregistered 10:07 AM 08-25-2012
uhm it's called hand foot to mouth look it up yall my dc kids seem to be getting it back to back =(
providerandmomof4 03:17 PM 08-25-2012
Oh wow! I had a dcb in care for a short period who had these huge boils on his bottom! I was completely unaware of MRSA...I used to feel so sorry for him because they would get so sore that he couldn't do his normal daily activities. I'm so glad that this post has shed some light on what it actually could have been. I had never seen anything like it. His mom told me that he was very susceptible to boils in the diaper area. She had actually popped a huge one and he could hardly walk the next day. Poor baby...I wish I had questioned her more thoroughly. She advised he was going to stay with his grandma for a while, and I never saw him/her again....so sad, he was such a sweetie.
itlw8 04:01 PM 08-25-2012
dil works in a hospital. she has a small infection in Oct that cleared up fast

Then in Dec she gave birth and got mastitus then that did not heal and they found she had Mrsa Seems most of us carry it in our bodies. Then dgs got a spot....he was put on an oral antibiotic She had surgery and was in isolation at the hospital

They worried about me caring for him 1 because I had knee replacement less than 1 year before and the childcare. but the dr said aslong as I followed procedures I would be fine... I gloved for diaper changes and disposed of the diaper properly and washed.... nothing different than I do in the childcare anyway just it was in my ds house.

They may have not tested for MRSA or the results are not in yet. They start them on antibiotics while they wait on the results. but an antibiotic would nbe needed for a boil that size anyway.
MaritimeMummy 04:01 AM 08-27-2012
Not for eczema itself, no, there wouldn't be antibiotics, but for a sore that had puss in it and has recently been lanced, to prevent infection now that it's an open sore, yes.

So to me, the treatment is proper for the issue. Whether the pimple was caused by eczema though, I can't say because I have no experience with that.

I don't think it was a staph infection or anything contagious, though. My thought is a boil. Gross but harmless.

And yes, I am aware that this is an old thread but I think the info in it is still important. :-)
Tags:bacteria, boil, contagious, mrsa, pimple, staph infection
Reply Up