Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! My Own Son Not Adjusting To My Home Daycare!
Always in Pink 04:14 PM 03-03-2014
Hello first of all! I am new to this thread. My in-home daycare has been open for almost 9 months now. My 4 year old still is not adjusted. My director is starting to complain that he is not doing everything the daycare kids are. He usually just goes in his room or in the living room. Sometimes he even takes his plate to our dining room instead of the daycare to eat with everyone else. He interacts more when its only a few kids here but when someone comes to observe from our FCC office he runs and hides. How can I get him to interact more with our routine?
Cat Herder 04:28 PM 03-03-2014
"My in-home daycare

My director is starting to complain"

Could you clarify your program a bit?

Is this your home or do you work for someone else?
TwinKristi 08:06 PM 03-03-2014
Yeah absolutely confused about who the director of the "your in-home daycare" would be?
rosieteddy 11:53 AM 03-04-2014
I always treated my children at that age as part of the group. Just as a DCC has no opertunity to leave the meal table my children didn't either.I did let them keep their toys seperate .They were expected to stay in my sight and be part of the program. Just like they wouldn't be able to choose the classmate in pre school they can't choose here. It worked out ,when they went off to school they were happy to see the kids when they came home.I even had my Grandsons here for DC .tHEY WERE FULLY IN THE PROGRAM AND JUST LAST WEEK i HEARD ONE TELL THE dc KIDS "DON'T BE IN SUCH A HURRY TO GO TO SCHOOL Nana's is awesome.
Starburst 04:43 PM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"My in-home daycare

My director is starting to complain"

Could you clarify your program a bit?

Is this your home or do you work for someone else?
I thought that it was a typo and that she ment to put daughter or something. If she did mean her child, I hope it's a typo and that she doesn't normally refer to her child(ren) as her 'director(s)'.
TwinKristi 05:12 PM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I thought that it was a typo and that she ment to put daughter or something. If she did mean her child, I hope it's a typo and that she doesn't normally refer to her child(ren) as her 'director(s)'.
But she refers to the child as a HE later on.
Starburst 05:25 PM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
But she refers to the child as a HE later on.
I said "daughter or something" IDK what she would have put instead.

My mom usually refers to my cats as "he/him" even though they are all girls, and sometimes she does that when refering to baby even if they are girls (she was born into a very traditional family where everything was in the masculine form if unknown). Some cultures (I think someone I knew who was Filipino said their culure does this) refer to all small children (even boys) as "her/she" until they are about 7 or 8 (not 100% sure if it's accurate and not just her family).
daycare 05:43 PM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I said "daughter or something" IDK what she would have put instead.

My mom usually refers to my cats as "he/him" even though they are all girls, and sometimes she does that when refering to baby even if they are girls (she was born into a very traditional family where everything was in the masculine form if unknown). Some cultures (I think someone who was Filipino said their culure does this) refer to all small children (even boys) as "her/she" until they are about 7 or 8 (not 100% sure if it's accurate and not just her family).
the Filipino language does not have a gender specific for her or she....
Starburst 05:47 PM 03-04-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
the Filipino language does not have a gender specific for her or she....
Again, that could have just been her family (there was a lot of girls in her family) or maybe I misunderstood and she was talking about a specific member in her family.
daycare 05:56 PM 03-04-2014
Sorry I meant to say he or she
Crazy8 07:15 PM 03-04-2014
I am wondering if she means more along the lines of an inspector, not director since she said someone from the FCC office.

I had no problem with my own kids being in their room or family room during daycare hours when they were that age. This was their home, not just their daycare. I even sent mine to preschool a few hours a day/few days a week at that age just so they got out of the house and away from me being their "teacher". Not sure what your regulations are but I would not force my child to interact with the daycare if its not breaking any rules for them to be in other rooms of the house during dc hours.
bloominggenius 08:42 PM 03-04-2014
I have 8 children who have all grown up in a daycare home, or one of my 3 centers when I did center care. In my home childcare I have certain rules my children have to follow and some they don't:
1. Meals are the same for everyone. My children have to sit at the table, they are offered the same food (no special meals) and they have to ask to be excused and clear their place.
2. In our home we have the general population toys, which anyone can play with, and then my daughters each have about 10 toys in their room which don't come downstairs until the daycare kids go home. They have to put them back away before going to bed.
3. Daycare children play in the daycare rooms only, and are not allowed upstairs because it is not childproofed. My children are allowed to go to their rooms but cannot take kids or genpop toys with them. So they usually stay in the daycare rooms unless they are needing quiet time.
4. My children are not allowed to have anything during daycare hours that the daycare children can't. Soda, candy or time on an I-pad are treats for evenings and weekends only.
5. Before they started school, my children were all required to participate in any structured learning, such as circle time or art. During free time they could go to their room if they chose. They also spent naptime in their room, so they could read or rest in their own bed.
It is OK for your child to have their own space, but no special treats or treatment in front of the other children. It is important to remember you would not want another child having these things in front of yours.
Tags:providers own child
Reply Up