Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Would You Inform Of Closing????
TSDaycare 06:32 AM 01-03-2018
I'm torn. I know it's going to be bad enough and stress my parents out, but I don't know how to go about it. I don't think a letter is personal enough, plus I don't give letters for anything else. Just notes at sign-in and verbal notifications or via texts. Face to face is a little hard with the kids shuffling in and out. And getting it done in a timely manner so everyone finds out about the same time, not spread out. I have close neighborhood families who all talk to one another.
I'm finishing out the school year, so I'm going to give notice around Feb. 1, that will give them roughly 4 1/2 months to figure out new arrangements.
Any and all ideas are appreciated!!
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 01-03-2018
Hoping you are off to bigger and better adventures with this change!!

I have no advice as I've never been in your shoes but here are a ton of other threads that might have some suggestions and/or ideas for you: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=closing
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 08:34 AM 01-03-2018
I would do a quick face-to-face and give them a letter. "I just wanted to let you know that I am making some big changes and will be closing the daycare when the school year is over. Here is a letter that gives more detail, please look over it. If you have any questions going forward don't hesitate to ask." Hand them a letter that includes an explanation of what is happening, last day of care, how their deposit will be applied, etc....
nannyde 09:26 AM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
I'm torn. I know it's going to be bad enough and stress my parents out, but I don't know how to go about it. I don't think a letter is personal enough, plus I don't give letters for anything else. Just notes at sign-in and verbal notifications or via texts. Face to face is a little hard with the kids shuffling in and out. And getting it done in a timely manner so everyone finds out about the same time, not spread out. I have close neighborhood families who all talk to one another.
I'm finishing out the school year, so I'm going to give notice around Feb. 1, that will give them roughly 4 1/2 months to figure out new arrangements.
Any and all ideas are appreciated!!
be prepared for them to leave shortly after you give notice. That's a really long notice. If you don't need the money then give early. If you do then give them a couple of weeks.

if you are cheap compared to other area daycares they will stay longer because it is harder to find cheap care. If you are average or expensive they will most likely switch soon. If they are teacher kids they will most likely stay.
jenboo 09:38 AM 01-03-2018
I sent an email and had them all respond so i had proof that everyone was notified. I'm also chicken so i couldn't do it in person.
daycarediva 10:44 AM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
be prepared for them to leave shortly after you give notice. That's a really long notice. If you don't need the money then give early. If you do then give them a couple of weeks.

if you are cheap compared to other area daycares they will stay longer because it is harder to find cheap care. If you are average or expensive they will most likely switch soon. If they are teacher kids they will most likely stay.
This. Care in our area is hard to find, and I ended up giving contractually obligated notice. If they found new care sooner, you can't really blame them for switching sooner.

I sent home a letter and told them in person.
boy_mom 11:11 AM 01-03-2018
I told people I was closing as I handed them a letter with details at pick up. I also made sure it was on a day that didn't require me to be somewhere right after work so I could take the time to speak with parents for a while if they wanted to. I had really great families so it was easy to do face to face.

FWIW I was going to do a long notice period but I only ended up doing a 4 week notice. Almost all families stayed until the end, and everyone had found care in plenty of time.
DaveA 11:50 AM 01-03-2018
I would do a 1 month notice unless you are prepared to close early. That way if all or most find care quickly you’re not in a lurch.

Good Luck!
CityGarden 07:19 PM 01-03-2018
Originally Posted by DaveA:
I would do a 1 month notice unless you are prepared to close early. That way if all or most find care quickly you’re not in a lurch.

Good Luck!
Ditto!

Best of luck!
TSDaycare 02:08 PM 01-04-2018
Thanks for all the good recommendations.

Closing early is not an issue, my husband would prefer I do it sooner rather than wait. I decided to wait until summer so it doesn't shake up my young school-agers too much. I'd rather they finish this year with me than change everything over.
I'm wayyyy too convenient for them to switch in an instant rather than wait, but either is fine. I just worry about getting stuck with 1 or 2 everyday that drag their feet until the end, that would annoy me!!
Lissa Kristine 04:45 PM 01-04-2018
I definitely agree with a balance in giving notice. Give the families enough notice so they have time to find care, but not so much notice that they jump ship and leave you without clients and an income.

Giving 4 months' notice might be a little TOO much notice. Parents are going to see "closing" and immediately jump to find new care for their children.

However, don't do what my current boss did and give 4 days' notice about major changes.

A month or so should be enough. Do you have a relationship with other daycares in the area? If so, it might be a good touch to refer parents to another daycare you know.

Now, if you have any staff on board, I'd give them plenty of notice so they can find alternative work arrangements. Again though, you do risk losing staff if they find something right away and cannot wait until after you close to start a new position. However, I know that I would do everything in my power to contact daycares now to try to secure a position beginning in the summer if possible. I wouldn't immediately jump ship, but the time to look for a job while still being employed would be greatly appreciated.
Tags:closing letter
Reply Up