Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Interviews
Buxterboo 12:46 AM 06-21-2012
From what Im gathering here on this site, the providers usually conduct and interview with the family and decides based on that if they are going to accept the family, right? How does such an interview work? Obviously expectations of both parties, parenting ideals, my/their schedules, etc. I get the interview part, what Im wondering is how do you end the interview? "Well I'll call you and let you know if I like you or not"?
Who is actually applying for a job here? Im not trying to be snarky, I am serious. I never would have thought that I would be hiring them, if that makes sense... I tought that I would have to impress them not the other way around. But the more Im reading on here, the more I like the idea that they also need to impress me.
I never thought about having to turn down a family. How do you decide which to take and which to decline?
I am opening for business next monday so I feel like I should prepare for interviews now that I have just about everything else ready to go.
Thank you all for answering my billion questions. I feel so much better after I read suggestions from you guys
Michael 02:56 AM 06-21-2012
Nannyde had a great article on interviewing: https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/interviewing-nannyde-style.htm

https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/the-art-of-the-intervew-nannyde-style-part-2.htm

Some threads on interviewing: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ew+-+checklist

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ew+-+questions
DBug 04:49 AM 06-21-2012
I do a quick tour of the sign in/out, bulletin board and cubbies, then bathroom (where diapering happens), and sleeping room, and then we sit in the playroom while I go over our routine, the policies, contract, etc. I have a questionairre that I fill in regarding their parenting style, the child's current routine, previous providers, etc. It usually takes about an hour.

Then I say something like: "It was great meeting you and (insert name of child). I've got a few more interviews scheduled for this spot, so I'll give you a call/email on (insert date) to let you know. Thanks!!"

I also encourage families to check out other daycares in the area (I want families to see the value of what I offer), and tell them to email me if they have any further questions.
Meeko 06:01 AM 06-21-2012
That's just it...you are not applying for a job! Day care parents are never your employers! You are not their nanny.

You are self-employed. YOU decide how you run your business. YOU decide when nap time is and what they will have for lunch. YOU decide what toys are played with and when you will go outside.

Parents are free to check out what you offer and decide whether they want their child to attend. They are NOT entitled to tell you how to RUN your business. They have no say in policies or hours, activities, toys, schedules etc.

At interviews...I ask a ton of questions and I usually answer a ton of questions.

If the interview goes well and the parents tell me they want to sign up...I decide what I want to do. If I feel they would be a good fit, I have them fill out the paperwork right then. If I get the feeling that it's not going to work and they seem like parents who will try and tell me exactly how to run things/want me to change rules for their child......I just smile and say

"Well I have a couple more interviews left. Unfortunately there is only one opening. I'll decide which child to take by Friday afternoon and let you know"

NEVER take child just because the parents say they want to sign up! It's a joint decision. You have the final say on who will be in your home.
Buxterboo 12:04 PM 06-21-2012
I think Im nervous not saying yes right away because I am just starting and currently have no children (just one drop-in who is a family friend). I want/need kiddos. I an not under tons of pressure to get to max capacity, but I would like to get 3 ft slots filled sooner rather then later..
After lurking on here for the past few weeks, I completely understand WHY I need to screen my families tho! Dealing with military families will either go one of 2 ways:
1. They see me as a "lower rank" then them and theink the can give me "orders" like they do at work.
2. They see me as a higher rank and will do what I tell them.

I am more interested in a partnership. Do you think it is reasonable for me to be blunt about this particular issue during the interview? (by blunt, i just me lay it out honestly with out hinting around). I found that if I am very clear, I usually have less issues in the long run (of course im talking about past jobs and daily life issues. Ive never done in home child care lol)

Thanks again!
Blackcat31 12:45 PM 06-21-2012
Originally Posted by Buxterboo:
I am more interested in a partnership. Do you think it is reasonable for me to be blunt about this particular issue during the interview? (by blunt, i just me lay it out honestly with out hinting around). I found that if I am very clear, I usually have less issues in the long run (of course im talking about past jobs and daily life issues. Ive never done in home child care lol)

Thanks again!
I have no filter during interviews. I lay it out there just like you said. I tell y prospective clients that I am interested in partnering with them NOT raising their child or working for them. I have had clients that have decided not to go with me because of that but have had plenty sign on for that exact reason.

The ones I have signed on respect me and my policies and vice versa. They are the kind of clients I want to work with so I don;t mind that some interviewees decided not to use my services....since they didn't want to partner up...they would probably have made horrible clients.

I also think that you should get used to the 24-48 hour rule. I tell ALL my interviewing families that neither they nor I will make a final decision until 24-48 hours have passed so that we can both take our time and make a good, well-informed decision.

So during your interviews tell parents that you will not accept enrollments until the 24/48 hours have passed. If you explain why, most completely understand and respect the idea.
Meeko 12:50 PM 06-21-2012
Originally Posted by Buxterboo:
I think Im nervous not saying yes right away because I am just starting and currently have no children (just one drop-in who is a family friend). I want/need kiddos. I an not under tons of pressure to get to max capacity, but I would like to get 3 ft slots filled sooner rather then later..
After lurking on here for the past few weeks, I completely understand WHY I need to screen my families tho! Dealing with military families will either go one of 2 ways:
1. They see me as a "lower rank" then them and theink the can give me "orders" like they do at work.
2. They see me as a higher rank and will do what I tell them.

Thanks again!
I started off doing day care on an Air Force base. I had a part in my contract where I stated that children have no rank...and when they are picked up or dropped off... neither do their parents. Rank is left at the door and they are simply Mommy or Daddy.

It was never a problem. The Colonel even took advise from my husband (then a staff sergeant) on a number of home improvement issues and they chatted as if they were old buddies. Outside our home, my husband saluted him. Inside...they acted like equals. I would not have stood for rank pulling in my home.
Buxterboo 08:53 PM 06-22-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I started off doing day care on an Air Force base. I had a part in my contract where I stated that children have no rank...and when they are picked up or dropped off... neither do their parents. Rank is left at the door and they are simply Mommy or Daddy.

It was never a problem. The Colonel even took advise from my husband (then a staff sergeant) on a number of home improvement issues and they chatted as if they were old buddies. Outside our home, my husband saluted him. Inside...they acted like equals. I would not have stood for rank pulling in my home.
EXCELLENT!! This is exactly how I feel. Thank you for putting it in words for me.
CPKKChildcare 02:43 PM 06-23-2012
Originally Posted by DBug:

Then I say something like: "It was great meeting you and (insert name of child). I've got a few more interviews scheduled for this spot, so I'll give you a call/email on (insert date) to let you know. Thanks!!"

I also encourage families to check out other daycares in the area (I want families to see the value of what I offer), and tell them to email me if they have any further questions.
WOW!!! That's a great idea.. I know I offer a lot and I am changing some things.I am definitely going to have to market aggressively, and start interviewing parents and choosing my families wisely. And I'll be sure to tell parents I'm interviewing others for this spot. I have a friend who has a huge child care but she accepts everyone no matter what..
Tags:interview, interview - checklist, interview - questions
Reply Up