Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wait Outside?
daycare 02:35 PM 02-20-2014
Tell me what you think.

I work on contracted times only. I have each family set up about 10-15min apart in the morning with arrival. Well the past week every day I am having parents show up all over the place, just before breakfast. IT has created some parking issues, build up in my foyer, and I can't talk privately with the parents like I normally could.

I am thinking of telling parents, unless you have scheduled otherwise, you will need to wait to come in until your contracted time of care.
blandino 03:42 PM 02-20-2014
That is my life.. We don't do contracted times, and have 12 families. Most of the time 10 pickups occur from 4:50-5:30. It is a madhouse . I would LOVE to have them spaced apart, so I would definitely ask them to come at their contracted times.
daycare 03:48 PM 02-20-2014
Originally Posted by blandino:
That is my life.. We don't do contracted times, and have 12 families. Most of the time 10 pickups occur from 4:50-5:30. It is a madhouse . I would LOVE to have them spaced apart, so I would definitely ask them to come at their contracted times.
I think that they think arriving 10 min early is NO big deal, one of my DCP was trying to tell me some private stuff about their child when another parent came knocking. I did not open the door because they were early and I was having a private conversation. Of course they knocked until I finally opened the door. I usually don't have this issue, but for some reason this week it has been an issue every morning.

I hate chaos. I like get in get out, NEXT
Kabob 03:57 PM 02-20-2014
My contract and handbook says that parents are to arrive on time and if I choose to accept them early then they will be charged an "early drop off fee." I have yet to have to use it with my current families but families in the past used to show up 10 minutes early or so at random so I just reminded them of their contracted time and asked if they wanted to change it and get charged the higher daily rate (since it made their day longer) or leave it and get charged the more expensive fees. They chose to arrive on time instead.
blandino 04:40 PM 02-20-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think that they think arriving 10 min early is NO big deal, one of my DCP was trying to tell me some private stuff about their child when another parent came knocking. I did not open the door because they were early and I was having a private conversation. Of course they knocked until I finally opened the door. I usually don't have this issue, but for some reason this week it has been an issue every morning.

I hate chaos. I like get in get out, NEXT
I don't think parents get it at all, how little things like that make a difference.

I also, don't do chaos. It is my nightmare. So we are either outside when the parents come, which makes is 100x better, since they can just leave from the yard - or the kids are seated and doing an activity at the table. I can't handle the parents arriving if the kids are up and wild at the same time.
Rachel 11:52 PM 02-22-2014
I think if the parents are only paying from a certain time, you can tell them they can't come before or they need to pay more to come earlier. But what are you doing to do if 4 families all want to come at 7:30?
itlw8 06:59 AM 02-23-2014
I guess I do not understand . My parents would not like it if they only have a 15 minute window to drop off. We do not discuss private stuff in front of the children so that solves that.

I guess we all attract families that think like we do. My guess and only a guess those of you that want only one person at a time and in a 15 minute window do not do extremely messy things. play with worms and dig in dirt.

solution to any problem speak up and explain to parents . If it is that important to you and hey can not follow then they can find other care. Or together you can find a solution.
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 02-23-2014
If each family has a contracted drop off and pick up time, I don't see what the issue is. Especially if you are staggering the drop off/pick up times so that no one is present at the same time.

If someone is arriving earlier or later than their contracted time, do you impose a penalty of consequence? If so, enforce it.

If it isn't working to curb their behaviors, then like disciplining a child, you will need to find a method that DOES work.

I multiply my late fees. Using termination as the ultimate consequence.

If a family is arriving during someone else's time, outright tell them it CANNOT happen. They can circle the block until their time arrives if you don't want them in the driveway or blocking space on the street.

Target opens at 8. Just because someone arrives in the parking lot at 7:50, doesn't mean Target is going to let them in.

Bottom line, enforce YOUR policies about contracted times. If you don't, parents aren't going to follow them either.
Blackcat31 08:01 AM 02-23-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I guess I do not understand . My parents would not like it if they only have a 15 minute window to drop off. We do not discuss private stuff in front of the children so that solves that.

I guess we all attract families that think like we do. My guess and only a guess those of you that want only one person at a time and in a 15 minute window do not do extremely messy things. play with worms and dig in dirt.

solution to any problem speak up and explain to parents . If it is that important to you and hey can not follow then they can find other care. Or together you can find a solution.
My parents wouldn't be happy about it either. I am like Blandino....I have the MOST parents dropping off and picking up at the same times.
It is crazy chaotic at times but it only lasts a few minutes so it's all good.

I am also like you where I don't discuss anything private in front of others (including the adults own child) so that is never an issue here either.

I do know in Daycare's program though, she runs a very structured preschool program and is more "school" like than family daycare-like. Sometimes structured and strict rules are necessary. Knowing her program, I can see how she would need to do what she does and require the staggered drop off/pick up times.
Reply Up