Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Let Suspended Kids Come To Daycare?
ihop 03:57 PM 06-02-2014
I have a half day kindergartener who hit, pushed down and bit a child at recess. Drew a lot of blood when he bit him. He is suspended tomorrow and I know mom is going to ask me to take him. When asked why he did it he just shrugged.

Wwyd?
Heidi 04:03 PM 06-02-2014
Do you know this kiddo already? Have you had issues with him?

If you know him and he's caused you no problems, I'd take him.

If he's a problem for you or you don't know him, then no. Either way, he'd be doing "school work" or "chores" all day. It would not be a "fun" day.
BumbleBee 04:07 PM 06-02-2014
Nope. Not my kid, not my job.
LysesKids 04:17 PM 06-02-2014
When I took older kids I had a policy in effect that I DID NOT take kids on days they were suspended from school; that is a parent needs to deal with it situation. I don't care if they wanted to pay extra, the child was sent home from school, talk to them and find out why the action happened, don't pass parental responsibility onto daycare
Play Care 05:31 PM 06-02-2014
I would not!
I always kind of felt that when they suspend kids, they are trying to send the parents a message as well...
I've NEVER heard of a Kindegartner being suspended
NeedaVaca 05:57 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I would not!
I always kind of felt that when they suspend kids, they are trying to send the parents a message as well...
I've NEVER heard of a Kindegartner being suspended

Parents need to spend the day talking about his behavior
debbiedoeszip 06:31 PM 06-02-2014
Unless I thought that his behaviour was going to be more trouble than it's worth, then I'd take a child who has been suspended. For one thing, the schools adopting zero tolerance behaviour policies means that some kids end up suspended for the stupidest reasons (though not in the OP's situation; he was suspended for good reason). Also, for some parents, taking the day off work while their child is suspended could cost them their job. Also, it more money for me.
Unregistered 06:44 PM 06-02-2014
Sure. They are welcome to return the day after the suspension is over.

Parental responsibility to deal with. It is a family issue to work through. Plus there is way too much fun going on here for it to connect with the child as a consequence. I'm not willing to alter my day to make the child understand it is not a holiday from school.
katzan 07:31 PM 06-02-2014
I wouldn't.. I would simply state that due to his aggression at school, you can not take the child on for the safety of the other children.
Cradle2crayons 07:37 PM 06-02-2014
I may or may not, depending on the situation and reason for suspension.

If I DID accept them for the day I would charge a drop in rate.
midaycare 07:47 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip:
Unless I thought that his behaviour was going to be more trouble than it's worth, then I'd take a child who has been suspended. For one thing, the schools adopting zero tolerance behaviour policies means that some kids end up suspended for the stupidest reasons (though not in the OP's situation; he was suspended for good reason). Also, for some parents, taking the day off work while their child is suspended could cost them their job. Also, it more money for me.
Yes, it depends. Schools are suspending for everything nowadays. If it was for something that was really minor, eh ... sure. But something like OP, then, no. Parent needs to deal with it. Also, if parent would lose their job I would be accommodating. Been there, done that. Bosses stink.
daycare 07:58 PM 06-02-2014
No, kids have to stay home with their parent.

In my eyes, part of the reason that the child needs to stay home is so that the parents can see and understand that there is an issue that needs to be addressed. Almost as if it is punishing both the parent and child because lets face it the child obviously is not getting proper discipline at home if they are acting that extreme at school. 99.95%of children always act better with others than they do for their parents...

I let it happen once and never again....
nannyde 08:52 PM 06-02-2014
I don't take school agers so no but if I did I would take him as long as he took a nap and I didn't have to be a part of punishing him or even discussing it.
daycare 09:01 PM 06-02-2014
what nan said got me thinking of the main reason why I would say no is becuase I had a DCG that got suspended from school. Kind of a silly reason, but she did. She was in kinder.

DCM had her come here and dcg soon figured out if I misbehave at school I get to go to MIss N. house. I refused to participate in any discipline of it so the kid came here and had a field day. The very next week the child purposely punched someone in the head to get suspended and be able to come to my house.

When I brought it to DCMs attention she said well can you pull her from all the fun stuff today and I said I will have no part in that. If you don't want her to have fun then you need to keep her home.

DCM came and picked her up.
Childminder 09:08 PM 06-02-2014
I have and never an issue.

He would follow our routine and I won't be the disciplinarian that's the parents job.

Why he did it, he probably doesn't know why. He's five and he acted in the moment.
Leigh 09:25 PM 06-02-2014
If I were to take him, I would take him only for his regular hours-I wouldn't extend hours. If you WERE to extend hours, I would charge your overtime rate-not regular.
SilverSabre25 09:29 PM 06-02-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I have and never an issue.

He would follow our routine and I won't be the disciplinarian that's the parents job.

Why he did it, he probably doesn't know why. He's five and he acted in the moment.
Nah, he's five and he probably DOES know why.

When I was six and in kinder I bit someone. She started it; she pushed me off a piece of playground equipment! I swear to you I had never done ANYTHING to her the entire year and bam, here she comes pushing me. Well, I climbed up and she wouldn't move and so I bit her. Then she ran and told the teachers and we both got taken to the principal's office. I don't think anyone ever asked me WHY I did it though. She didn't get punished for pushing me. It was the first in a long line of lessons on why being a kid sucks and why being in school sucks....but I digress.

He probably DOES know EXACTLY what happened, and I bet no one has asked. It was still wrong, definitely. But...I'm sure there was a reason.
Retired 09:48 PM 06-02-2014
No. As a former teacher, I understood there was a reason why the child was suspended even if I didn't agree with it (which was rarely the case). Suspension isn't a vacation or time for fun. Honestly, a lot of parents aren't aware of how their children behave in school. I didn't want that sort of element in my home or around my children (daycare and biological).
Play Care 02:58 AM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

When I was six and in kinder I bit someone. She started it; she pushed me off a piece of playground equipment! I swear to you I had never done ANYTHING to her the entire year and bam, here she comes pushing me. Well, I climbed up and she wouldn't move and so I bit her. Then she ran and told the teachers and we both got taken to the principal's office. I don't think anyone ever asked me WHY I did it though. She didn't get punished for pushing me. It was the first in a long line of lessons on why being a kid sucks and why being in school sucks....but I digress.

He probably DOES know EXACTLY what happened, and I bet no one has asked. It was still wrong, definitely. But...I'm sure there was a reason.

IME, schools are not suspending left and right without good reason. In the OP's case the child behaved in a very aggressive fashion *repeatedly* Hitting, pushing, and biting as a matter of course is NOT normal K behavior. (Though Silver in your case, she had it coming! )

But even if he was, say, suspended for bringing a toy gun or knife to school, SO WHAT?! If the school has a policy saying those items are not allowed, they are not allowed (especially important in the US where we are more concerned about kids getting candy in schools then the fact they have ready access to real guns and mental health issues ). It's the PARENT'S responsibility to make sure they (the items) don't go to school. How many times have I come here to see a provider complaining about an item brought from home in clear violation of the provider's policy? And how the parents pull the "He just wanted to bring it and I couldn't say no!"
Like some other providers I don't feel it's my job to set punishment for a child who isn't mine, and would go about our normal day. Which means the child would be participating in arts and crafts, fun outdoor activities, etc. etc. etc. No one would be getting any message - the child who's getting a "vacation" day and the parents who also are going about their normal day as if it's not a big deal. Sorry, I believe a young child being suspended from school (especially for aggression) IS a big deal and warrants some inconvenience on the parents part and some major discomfort on the child's part.
I want NO part of it.
Frankly I imagine if the child is behaving that horribly at school, he's probably not a kid I want in my dc at all.
childcaremom 03:26 AM 06-03-2014
I agree with ^^^^^

This is a parental responsibility.
daycarediva 03:31 AM 06-03-2014
If he is behaving that way at school, not only would I not accept him into care that day, I would have the parents sign a behavioral intervention plan should anything like that happen in my home. If he was already aggressive, I would term. Can you imagine if he drew blood on another 5yo what he could do to a 2yo? NO way jose!
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 06-03-2014
Nope.

A child suspended for such aggressive behavior has NO place here with babies and toddlers.

TOO much liability.

I agree that schools are going SUPER strict with NO tolerance but if the child had trouble keeping it together in an environment with peers, I would NEVER take a chance with him here while I have younger kids in care.

I would also have other parents asking why a SA was present on a school day and I doubt many of my parents would be okay with it.

I don't take SA'ers so thankfully it isn't something I will ever have to deal with.
Laurel 09:57 AM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

At my children's elementary school whenever there was a fight BOTH parties were punished even though one was clearly at fault. At first I thought it was unfair but then with kids who really knows what happened?

That was their policy so that was that.

Laurel
daycare_jen 10:05 AM 06-03-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
At my children's elementary school whenever there was a fight BOTH parties were punished even though one was clearly at fault. At first I thought it was unfair but then with kids who really knows what happened?

That was their policy so that was that.

Laurel
It is the same in my school district. I don't have SA dcks right now, but I think I would not accept them if they had been suspended. The parents have to deal with the situation. It would be like pp said, they would have "fun" while at my house and not really get the punishment. My own son was suspended for a week his freshman year of high school.... it was totally out of the blue behavior and I was in shock. He spent that week working for me around the house (not a daycare at that time) and having long discussions about how to handle himself in future situations. IMO parents have to deal with it, not a daycare provider.
ihop 10:06 AM 06-03-2014
Dad stayed home with him. I told her I would check and see if I had room today and let her know but she just made other arrangements
Of course dcg, sibling, is here
Reply Up