Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is Your Policy On No Immunizations?
daycare 08:30 AM 01-26-2015
I don't want to debate if its right or wrong not to vaccinate a child, I just want to know what your policy says on it.

I am seeing a huge trend in my state to not immunize your child. I say to each their own. However, I don't have anything in my policies about this. For example what will happen if something breaks out? The parents will still be responsible to pay for their spot even if the child can't attend due to a breakout, and so forth.

I am wondering if my current policy of you pay for the spot regardless of attendance is enough as it is?

Please share your policy on this.

Thanks
sharlan 08:39 AM 01-26-2015
I will not take a child that is not immunized.
daycare 08:41 AM 01-26-2015
can i ask why you would not take a child that is not?
kathiemarie 08:46 AM 01-26-2015
In your case I would tell the parents they are responsible for payment no matter why the child misses daycare. That is one of the risks they have for not vaccinating their child.
Cradle2crayons 09:37 AM 01-26-2015
I also don't take non immunized kiddos. Personally I have no issues with parents who choose not to vaccinate. My own DD is allergic to the MMR vax so I get it.

However, because I offer care to medically fragile kiddos, I can't risk them being exposed.

So, my policy is vax only. However, if there is a medical reason to break them up or do an alternate schedule, I'm cool with that.
daycare 09:41 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I also don't take non immunized kiddos. Personally I have no issues with parents who choose not to vaccinate. My own DD is allergic to the MMR vax so I get it.

However, because I offer care to medically fragile kiddos, I can't risk them being exposed.

So, my policy is vax only. However, if there is a medical reason to break them up or do an alternate schedule, I'm cool with that.
I dont know much about immunizations, but wouldn't it be the child without that vax that would be at risk, not the other children???
Cradle2crayons 09:42 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I dont know much about immunizations, but wouldn't it be the child without that vax that would be at risk, not the other children???
the medically fragile kids sometimes have reasons to be delayed on vax... that puts THEM at risk from those that may choose to NOT vax at all and then get something....
Blackcat31 09:43 AM 01-26-2015
I don't want to debate if its right or wrong not to vaccinate a child, I just want to know what your policy says on it.

I am seeing a huge trend in my state to not immunize your child. I say to each their own. However, I don't have anything in my policies about this. For example what will happen if something breaks out? The parents will still be responsible to pay for their spot even if the child can't attend due to a breakout, and so forth.

I am wondering if my current policy of you pay for the spot regardless of attendance is enough as it is?

Thanks
Do you charge parents if they choose to keep their child home when any other sort of illness is present? Such as the Influenza or Strep throat?
finsup 09:44 AM 01-26-2015
My policy is simply all kids need to be up to date on vaccines. There are plenty of places around here that will take non vaccinated kids, I'm just not one of them.
daycare 09:54 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you charge parents if they choose to keep their child home when any other sort of illness is present? Such as the Influenza or Strep throat?
yes, my policy says you will pay regardless of attendance or not.

Reason I am asking is that i just did a Preschool event where I had a table and I would say about 30% of the parents I talked to all asked me does your school take children who don't vax... Since that event, I have had a few phone calls about it as well.

This is something new to me and of course it's not in my PHB as of now.
Blackcat31 09:58 AM 01-26-2015
yes, my policy says you will pay regardless of attendance or not.

Reason I am asking is that i just did a Preschool event where I had a table and I would say about 30% of the parents I talked to all asked me does your school take children who don't vax... Since that event, I have had a few phone calls about it as well.

This is something new to me and of course it's not in my PHB as of now.
That's your answer then.

I asked because I think you are over thinking this.

If rates are based on enrollment not attendance, I don't see how whether you take non-vaccinated kids or not has anything to do with your payment policies...know what I mean?
daycare 10:06 AM 01-26-2015
the medically fragile kids sometimes have reasons to be delayed on vax... that puts THEM at risk from those that may choose to NOT vax at all and then get something....
got it.

I guess I just see it that if the child does not have the vax if they are going to get something they can get it anywhere.

the children that are not vax that choose not to would be excluded anyways.

But I totally see your point and its very valid...
daycare 10:10 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That's your answer then.

I asked because I think you are over thinking this.

If rates are based on enrollment not attendance, I don't see how whether you take non-vaccinated kids or not has anything to do with your payment policies...know what I mean?
yes I agree I Am over thinking it. It was a new situation that came to me and I have never dealt with it before, so I wanted to make certain that I didn't need to update my handbook.

Next question is, if I do accept kids that are non vax do I have to tell other parents that I accept children that are not?
Blackcat31 10:12 AM 01-26-2015
yes I agree I Am over thinking it. It was a new situation that came to me and I have never dealt with it before, so I wanted to make certain that I didn't need to update my handbook.

Next question is, if I do accept kids that are non vax do I have to tell other parents that I accept children that are not?
No. Confidentiality rules say what other families do or don't do is no one's business but yours.

If a family says they don't vaccinate and want to know if you will accept their child, it's your call.

If you do take them, you are not required to inform anyone else.
Cradle2crayons 10:13 AM 01-26-2015

does your state have a policy on this?

I think I've heard that states that allow non vax... you have to let other parents know.

in my state, kids have to be vax to be in school or a licensed facility. I'm not licensed. However, in my handbook I explain that I require vax but that I offer care to medically fragile children who may be delayed in vax etc etc. I'm not required to explain that but I do.
Blackcat31 10:15 AM 01-26-2015
does your state have a policy on this?

I think I've heard that states that allow non vax... you have to let other parents know.

in my state, kids have to be vax to be in school or a licensed facility. I'm not licensed. However, in my handbook I explain that I require vax but that I offer care to medically fragile children who may be delayed in vax etc etc. I'm not required to explain that but I do.
Good point. Ive never heard of a state requiring this but I am sure there could be some that do.

We have to tell the state if we have a non-vaxed kid but we don't have to tell other families
Leigh 10:18 AM 01-26-2015
I don't take unvaccinated kids. I actually try not to take parents that don't agree with my parenting style, period (much less frustration over the kind of parents they are when they're the same kind of parent that I am!). I vaccinate, I don't agree with people who don't vaccinate for religious reasons or because they still believe that it causes autism, and I just choose not to have those people for clients. I will take a child on a delayed vaccination schedule, if they provide me with a written plan for vaccination and follow through with it.
NoMoreJuice! 12:20 PM 01-26-2015
I would never take an unvaccinated child. If we were to go to the playground and they somehow came down with measles, I could see an irrational parent blaming me for the illness. I also think that people who choose not to vaccinate their kids for personal reasons are absolutely negligent and I would never deal with parents who put their children at unnecessary risk. It's like not strapping your child in a car seat or seat belt and then flying down the highway expecting everyone else not to hit you.

Here's from our KS state regs.

(c) Immunizations for each child, including each child of the provider under 16 years of age, shall be current as medically appropriate and shall be maintained current for protection from the diseases specified in K.A.R. 28-1-20(d). A record of each child's immunizations shall be maintained on the child's medical record.

(d) Exceptions to the requirements for immunizations shall be permitted as specified in K.S.A. 65-508, and amendments thereto. Documentation of each exception shall be maintained on file at the child care facility.

(e) If an infant who has not been immunized against measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella because of the age of that child is enrolled and there are children in care who have not had measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella immunizations due to exemption, including the children of the provider, the parents of the infant at risk shall sign a statement that the parents have been informed of the risk to their child. This statement shall be in the infant's file at the day care or group day care home.
NoMoreJuice! 12:22 PM 01-26-2015
IF I were to take on an unvaccinated child in KS, here's what I would have to have on file:

(1) Certification from a licensed physician stating that the physical condition of the child is such that immunization would endanger the child's life or health; or

(2) a written statement signed by a parent or guardian that the parent or guardian is an adherent of a religious denomination whose teachings are opposed to immunizations
jenboo 12:38 PM 01-26-2015
If I take non/under vaccinated kids, I just need a form in their records (Dr note or religious note). Then I have to list them on a piece of paper in the front of my child records binder so that we can easily find who is not vaccinated of anything were to happen.
We do not have to notify other families.
daycare 01:31 PM 01-26-2015
thanks for all the input. After days and days of waiting for a return call from state, I found out that I do NOT have to inform other parents and that the only thing I need to do is make certain I have proper forms filled out by both parents and physician when necessary.
daycarediva 10:35 AM 01-27-2015
I only take children who are UTD on immunizations. No exceptions.
Sunchimes 12:00 PM 01-27-2015
I also have medically fragile kids as well as a medically fragile husband. I require vacs, including flu shots. It's an interview question so neither of us waste our time.
MaryF 02:02 PM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I also have medically fragile kids as well as a medically fragile husband. I require vacs, including flu shots. It's an interview question so neither of us waste our time.
Just wondering, Sunchimes, and others who have said their policy is only to accept immunized children - how is this worded in your parent handbook? I want to implement the same policy and I'm stuck on the best wording to use.
Crystal 02:27 PM 01-27-2015
After the recent HUGE outbreak of measles that originated at Disneyland, with some of those cases being in children and adults that ARE vaccinated, I'd be hard pressed to accept non-vaccinated children. Also, infants cannot have this vaccination until a certain age and if a non-vaccinated toddler/preschooler were to expose them to something like measles, it could be deadly
sharlan 02:35 PM 01-27-2015
To answer daycare's question. It's a personal thing. I don't want to be responsible for an unvaccinated child. We used to go to Disneyland every other week for 3 years. We go on a lot of outings where there are people from other countries. I don't want to be responsible for a child to be exposed because of our outings.

I've had cancer twice, my immunity isn't what it used to be. My dh is disabled and not in the best of health. I don't want to risk being in daily contact with an unvaccinated child being contagious for a week or so before we know.

If you don't want to vaccinate your child, that's your right. I don't have to provide daycare for your child. It's in my parent handbook that I don't take unvaccinated children.
daycare 02:54 PM 01-27-2015

I feel you on this.

Just curious, how do you know where it would be picked up from? How did they figure out that it came from DL?

I get that there are tons of people there from other countries and etc. but how did they figure out that the people contracted it from there?
sharlan 03:14 PM 01-27-2015

I feel you on this.

Just curious, how do you know where it would be picked up from? How did they figure out that it came from DL?

I get that there are tons of people there from other countries and etc. but how did they figure out that the people contracted it from there?
To be honest, they don't know who was the original person. Therefore, they have no idea where it originated from. The powers that be are ASSUMING that the original person was from out of the country.

We have a teenaged boy here that frequented several fast food places, the movies, and an urgent care before he knew he was contagious.
daycare 03:19 PM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
To be honest, they don't know who was the original person. Therefore, they have no idea where it originated from. The powers that be are ASSUMING that the original person was from out of the country.

We have a teenaged boy here that frequented several fast food places, the movies, and an urgent care before he knew he was contagious.
got it....

I guess they may have asked the question what place you last visted and they all had DL in common.

when my own son was sick around xmas time the first thing the doc asked me was have you visited west Africa or out of the country? Of course we had not, but understood their reason for asking.

ugh....why why why...I honestly don't get the whole non-vax thing. I mean you have a better chance of being struck by lightening than autism ever occurring....

SO if a child is non-vax how would you travel with them in or out of the country???
sharlan 03:48 PM 01-27-2015
got it....

I guess they may have asked the question what place you last visted and they all had DL in common.

when my own son was sick around xmas time the first thing the doc asked me was have you visited west Africa or out of the country? Of course we had not, but understood their reason for asking.
ugh....why why why...I honestly don't get the whole non-vax thing. I mean you have a better chance of being struck by lightening than autism ever occurring....

SO if a child is non-vax how would you travel with them in or out of the country???
When I went to the ER back in Oct, they stopped me at the door and asked if I had been to West Africa or been in contact with anyone who had. After I told them no, I was allowed to proceed and fill out the paperwork.
Sunchimes 07:33 PM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
When I went to the ER back in Oct, they stopped me at the door and asked if I had been to West Africa or been in contact with anyone who had. After I told them no, I was allowed to proceed and fill out the paperwork.
When my husband went in Dec, they did the same thing. They had posters up all over the entrance and the waiting room.
Sunchimes 07:39 PM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by MaryF:
Just wondering, Sunchimes, and others who have said their policy is only to accept immunized children - how is this worded in your parent handbook? I want to implement the same policy and I'm stuck on the best wording to use.
I have this in my handbook. At the interview, I just ask, and I make a special point to ask about the flu shot. On my "Meet the child" questionnaire, it has a question asking if they had a flu shot and when they had it. If they haven't had it, I would have several options. If it was a spring/summer interview, I would tell them it was required no later than October, and failure to comply would result in termination. If it was a fall/winter interview, I would probably tell them they could start 2 weeks after they got the shot. It has never come up, we seem to be a pretty compliant community.

"Immunizations
You are required to keep your child’s immunizations current and give me a copy of the immunization records for your child. I will notify you immediately if I learn that a child in my program does not have the proper immunizations. You must update my immunization records every 6 months for children under the age of 2 and every year after that."
daycarediva 03:37 AM 01-28-2015
I have this in my handbook. At the interview, I just ask, and I make a special point to ask about the flu shot. On my "Meet the child" questionnaire, it has a question asking if they had a flu shot and when they had it. If they haven't had it, I would have several options. If it was a spring/summer interview, I would tell them it was required no later than October, and failure to comply would result in termination. If it was a fall/winter interview, I would probably tell them they could start 2 weeks after they got the shot. It has never come up, we seem to be a pretty compliant community.

"Immunizations
You are required to keep your child’s immunizations current and give me a copy of the immunization records for your child. I will notify you immediately if I learn that a child in my program does not have the proper immunizations. You must update my immunization records every 6 months for children under the age of 2 and every year after that."
You require a flu shot to attend? Really? I've never heard of anyone having that policy. School/daycares locally only have the state required imms.

Our pediatrician doesn't even GIVE flu shots until mid-Dec to healthy children, and then only if a parent requests and they're available.
Sunchimes 05:27 AM 01-28-2015
They start the beginning of October here and really push them. This season, flu was rampant by the first of November. In fact, one of my dck had the first case in the clinic, about 10 days after he had his shot. Turned out to be the Type A that mutated from the shot.

I have an advantage in only having 3 kids at a time. We have a very family type relationship, and I ask things of them that a more formal setting couldn't get away with (and vice-versa).
MaryF 08:11 AM 01-28-2015

"Immunizations
Thank you - that helps a lot!
daycarediva 11:41 AM 01-28-2015
They start the beginning of October here and really push them. This season, flu was rampant by the first of November. In fact, one of my dck had the first case in the clinic, about 10 days after he had his shot. Turned out to be the Type A that mutated from the shot.

I have an advantage in only having 3 kids at a time. We have a very family type relationship, and I ask things of them that a more formal setting couldn't get away with (and vice-versa).
I'm impressed with the widespread availability of the flu shot in your area, here they are hard to come by. The doctors ALWAYS give them to the elderly and at risk children first, and then they go by patient request.
Margarete 04:18 AM 01-31-2015
Just saw this and found it interesting.

http://www.theblaze.com/contribution...to-guantanamo/
Unregistered 04:58 AM 01-31-2015
I am in NJ and they have make flu shots mandatory for kids in childcare, preschool and kindergarten since 2008.
They start in late August/ Early September giving the shots here in local stores (groceries, pharmacies, Target) you can't turn around without seeing a sign for Flu shots. The doctors office has them by early October.
Controlled Chaos 07:25 AM 01-31-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am in NJ and they have make flu shots mandatory for kids in childcare, preschool and kindergarten since 2008.
They start in late August/ Early September giving the shots here in local stores (groceries, pharmacies, Target) you can't turn around without seeing a sign for Flu shots. The doctors office has them by early October.
I just got a flu shot (sort of late this year...oops) and there are signs everywhere here too, grocery stores, clinics, some churches.

I am gearing up to term a favorite child. I recently discovered his parents don't vax. When I asked for their vaccination records a month ago when I was becoming licensed she brought back the CDC exemption form. I didn't want to knee jerk reaction freak out so I have been debating what I need to do. I have cared for this child for a year and half, he is 5, parents always pay on time and are so respectful...though none of that matters does it?

I am furious as I realize they brought him over when my LO was a newborn and never told me he wasn't vaccinated. I just assumed he was. Now, I just had two interview for great new dcf who mentioned (without me asking) they wouldn't send their kids to a daycare with a non vaxxed kid. I think I will give them a month to find new care. I feel awful.
nannyde 07:44 AM 01-31-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I just got a flu shot (sort of late this year...oops) and there are signs everywhere here too, grocery stores, clinics, some churches.

I am gearing up to term a favorite child. I recently discovered his parents don't vax. When I asked for their vaccination records a month ago when I was becoming licensed she brought back the CDC exemption form. I didn't want to knee jerk reaction freak out so I have been debating what I need to do. I have cared for this child for a year and half, he is 5, parents always pay on time and are so respectful...though none of that matters does it?

I am furious as I realize they brought him over when my LO was a newborn and never told me he wasn't vaccinated. I just assumed he was. Now, I just had two interview for great new dcf who mentioned (without me asking) they wouldn't send their kids to a daycare with a non vaxxed kid. I think I will give them a month to find new care. I feel awful.
You shouldn't feel awful. You have to do what protects your business. If you were to host a child without immunizations and that child exposed a child to a preventable disease you could be liable.

The parents totally understand that you have this risk. They will understand that you can't risk your families livelihood for their beliefs. They will do what they did when they found you. They will find the provider who assumes they vaxed or who will accept their waiver. It is their right to decide not to vax and with that right comes risk. Losing daycare is a very low level risk compared to the other risks they are taking.

Bit by bit as the population of non vaxers increase there will be more and more businesses that refuse service. We will see docs, hospitals, schools, child care etc that honor their choice but don't want to host it. We will also see the market share of parents who specifically look for child care that requires all kids to be immunized. There will be a market for both but, imho, not a market for a provider that allows both. Sides will have to be picked.
mim 06:42 AM 02-02-2015
Originally Posted by MaryF:
Mine says this: "I have chosen not to accept children that do not receive childhood immunizations. It is mandatoryfor all children in my care to have current immunization records that must remain current throughout the entire care period.
A copy of shot records for each child's file is required and must be kept current."
MaryF 07:02 AM 02-02-2015
Originally Posted by mim:
Mine says this: "I have chosen not to accept children that do not receive childhood immunizations. It is mandatory for all children in my care to have current immunization records that must remain current throughout the entire care period.
A copy of shot records for each child's file is required and must be kept current."
Thank you very much!
Givingthemgrace 09:40 AM 02-02-2015
I won't take non vaccinated children, or partially vaccinated children. I have an infant in care, my own two kids, and my own baby on the way. Too much risk to have a non-vaxed child around them. i might consider a child who is unable to have vaccinations for medical reasons but only if I had an older group of kids who were fully vaccinated.
LysesKids 12:53 PM 02-02-2015
I care for 0-18 months only... none of my charges are old enough for the first MMR much less other stuff so why worry about something I can't control. Many of my parents split vaccines/do alternate schedule due to medical issues and I am ok with it. I am vaxed for some things & have had titers done for other diseases (I had mumps, measles & chicken pox all within 3 years when I was little); no other adults/older kids in home except me... None of my parents nor I do the flu shot. I do accept the religious exemption and nobody here knows who does what.
laundrymom 11:17 AM 02-04-2015
Serious question here, as I am .... More advanced in age than most of you and it's been many moons since I discussed vaccination with my doc.

How does a non vax kid risk health of vaxed kids?
Leigh 12:04 PM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Serious question here, as I am .... More advanced in age than most of you and it's been many moons since I discussed vaccination with my doc.

How does a non vax kid risk health of vaxed kids?
Vaccines are not 100% effective. The more people around vaxed kids that are vaxed, the less likely vaxed kids are to catch it, too. The biggest concern for me, however, is the babies who are too young to get vaccines. THOSE kids are VERY likely to catch a preventable illness from a non-vaxxed kid who has that illness.
Controlled Chaos 12:35 PM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Vaccines are not 100% effective. The more people around vaxed kids that are vaxed, the less likely vaxed kids are to catch it, too. The biggest concern for me, however, is the babies who are too young to get vaccines. THOSE kids are VERY likely to catch a preventable illness from a non-vaxxed kid who has that illness.
Yep, the thing that made me term my non vaxxed child (5yo) is his sister is 8, so sister is exposed to tons of stuff at school, she can pass it to brother and then he could give it the the infant I care for. If parents want to vax later I am not as worried. Even if they waited until lo was a year to start I would be flexible. A modified schedule or what have you, not a huge deal for me, but when the child is 5 and you tell me you are worried he is going to get autism I just can't deal. The dcm is so nice and pretty...not that bright. Though, parents were super understanding when I told them which was nice. I gave them 30 days to find new care, as new infant starts mid March. Mom will let me know by the end of the week if she is going to go ahead and starting vaccinating her kids so dcb can stay So you don't want him to get autism but you really don't want to look for a new daycare provider...I just don't get some people.
daycare 01:23 PM 02-04-2015
I have to share this.

I met a mom last night at my sons baseball practice who was talking about the MMR vax. I am in CA where we currently have the most cases of the measles outbreak, some in my county, so everyone is talking about it every where you go.

She is eating a large bag of spicy chetto chips and soda pop. She tells me do you know the things they put into those vax. They put horrible chemicals in them that could cause all kinds of things. I refuse to subject my children to poison, so I won't ever vax them and I don't care what people think of me. As I look down, I see her kid is sucking down a bag of bright colored candies, chips and a also drinking a soda. Hmmmmmmmmmm you don't want to subject your children to poison...............I laughed and walked away.
Ariana 05:11 PM 02-04-2015
Lots of misinformation in this thread about efficacy of vaccines and what causes outbreaks.

A child who is vaccinated can get and pass on measles and it is more common than you think. Also how many of you have your measles boosters? Adults can also pass along measles to children. I get mine done every 10 years.

I wouldn't turn away non vaccinated kids if I didn't have my own vaccines up to date.
Renae82 05:30 PM 02-04-2015

Depends on the state you are in. In my state I have to inform parents that I have a child in care that is not vaccinated, but I cannot tell them who.
TwinKristi 05:31 PM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Lots of misinformation in this thread about efficacy of vaccines and what causes outbreaks.

A child who is vaccinated can get and pass on measles and it is more common than you think. Also how many of you have your measles boosters? Adults can also pass along measles to children. I get mine done every 10 years.

I wouldn't turn away non vaccinated kids if I didn't have my own vaccines up to date.

This popped up on my email for Hot Topics and I normally don't want to get too involved in this because it's a personal choice for some and not others.

I allow unvaccinated children (but everyone is vaccinated) at my daycare or someone on their own personalized schedule and they're required as of last year to have a physicians note stating they've been told of the benefits and risks of vaccines and that's it.
Personally my youngest son isn't fully vaccinated because of a reaction my next youngest son had and at 23mos and I don't want to risk it with him after the research I've done. Also this was waaaay before Jenny McCarthy had anything to do with the vaccine debate. We discussed it in length with our Pediatrician and he was fine with our choice and told us which ones he would recommend more than others. We did HIB & PCV but that's it. Even though my county has the highest rate of Pertussis in the state we didn't get it. My friend's son who's had 5 doses of DTaP got it just 3 months after his booster. Over 80% of the cases are in vaccinated kids. In this current Measles outbreak roughly 10% are fully vaccinated. Most people born after 57 but before 89 need a booster but very few have gone down to get it.
Also, only 1 of my 6 daycare children got the flu shot. None of us have had the flu. The worst we've had was a cold around here. And my son had a fever for 48hrs but that's it. He's by far the healthiest child I've known. He has been sick maybe 4 times in 3+yrs.
m.kids1301 08:06 PM 02-04-2015
I don't do vaccines either because of what happened to my older daughter. She has Rett Syndrome which is one of the many autism spectrum disorders and after all I've read in the last many years I'm convinced all of that is vaccine damage. Jessica is 32 now and can't talk or do much of anything for herself.

I wrote up an affidavit explaining that we don't do vaccines and why. What the medical people don't tell you is that every state has an exemption. In my state, Indiana, it's a religious one. I say it's because of my religious convictions; the Bible says our body is God's temple and we are not to defile it.

It makes little sense to me that people that vaccinate their children fear the unvaccinated! My younger daughter, now 17, only got one shot at birth and 1 or 2 at her first checkup then I learned about how dangerous vaccines are and she's had no more. She is FAR healthier than I ever was, and she almost never gets sick. A truly healthy diet and some supplements is all we need to keep healthy. The vaccines scare me!

Anyway, just saying all of that not to debate the issue either, but to explain why I don't do it. Those that don't want to vaccinate can get an exemption and that is legal.

I'd be way more concerned about having a fragile child exposed to the kids that get sick frequently, and those kids are vaccinated.

Controlled Chaos 09:23 PM 02-04-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:

I am up to date on all my boosters. I have medically fragile family members, as well as the newborns I care for.

Its not about eliminating risk, its about minimizing it. Vaccine's are not 100% effective, but that doesn't mean they don't work at all. And I couldn't live with myself if I took a risk with someone's child and it ended poorly.
Unregistered 07:57 AM 02-05-2015
Something I didn't realize until I read an article last night is that most people over the age of 50 have never been vaccinated against the majority of childhood illnesses we take for granted today. A lot of the vaccines were created after they were passed childhood.
daycare 08:17 AM 02-05-2015
I did not have any vax until I came to US and went to enroll into college. I could not enroll into college with out them.

Looking for an update.....

Another reason that I asked the origional question, is because from what I am reading, it sound like I can't refuse a child who is not vax. If this is true, which I am still waiting to hear back from an attorney, then I need to put something in my PHB about this.

For example, a child in my care comes down with the measles, according to what I am reading, the county is the one who will demand I remove all non vax children and they will not be allowed to return until the county clears it and it could be 20plus days. So during that time should that occur, I still need to get paid. There is a loop hole in my contract as it reads now, because it says illness. But in this case, the non-vax child is not ill and is being forced out of the childcare by the county.

So those of you that take non-vax children what is your policy regarding payments or what not if a child need to be excluded in order to keep them safe.
Dilley Beans 02:21 PM 02-05-2015
Oregon has the highest rate of unvaccinated children. I myself choose to delay vaccines, not because of autism, because of all the other chemicals put into them and because the difference in effectiveness and immunity from vaccines early on vs. after 1 year of age.

I accept children with the state exemption form and ask that any time a child is updated they inform me and we update their vaccination chart. Children are not allowed at daycare within 48 hrs of having a vaccination because that too puts other children at risk with some of them.

I do not believe in the flu shot and do not require that one for attendance. It creates a temporary immunity to the versions of the virus in the vaccine, 1-2 yrs, and doesn't create long term immunity to any version, then later in life your immunity is impaired and you're more likely to die from the flu.
daycare 02:36 PM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by Dilley Beans:
Oregon has the highest rate of unvaccinated children. I myself choose to delay vaccines, not because of autism, because of all the other chemicals put into them and because the difference in effectiveness and immunity from vaccines early on vs. after 1 year of age.

I accept children with the state exemption form and ask that any time a child is updated they inform me and we update their vaccination chart. Children are not allowed at daycare within 48 hrs of having a vaccination because that too puts other children at risk with some of them.

I do not believe in the flu shot and do not require that one for attendance. It creates a temporary immunity to the versions of the virus in the vaccine, 1-2 yrs, and doesn't create long term immunity to any version, then later in life your immunity is impaired and you're more likely to die from the flu.
so what is your policy on non-vax. what happens if one of your dcks got the measles??

what would you be required to do and do your parents still have to pay.
Baby lady 02:48 PM 02-05-2015
Something I didn't realize until I read an article last night is that most people over the age of 50 have never been vaccinated against the majority of childhood illnesses we take for granted today. A lot of the vaccines were created after they were passed childhood.
It hadn't occurred to me either, I'm 55, born in 1959. The measles vaccine was introduced in the US in 1963. My mother doesn't remember if I had either the disease or the vaccine. I spoke with my Dr. who is ordering a blood test to see if I have immunity to measles. If not, I will have the vaccine.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:01 PM 02-05-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
I also think that people who choose not to vaccinate their kids for personal reasons are absolutely negligent and I would never deal with parents who put their children at unnecessary risk. It's like not strapping your child in a car seat or seat belt and then flying down the highway expecting everyone else not to hit you.
Wow, according to your standard I am a neglectful parent. I have no reason why originally I did not. I just knew not to do my son (did my daughter). When he was 10 we found out that he was very chemical sensitive and that the vaccines could have caused some major issues if not death for him. God saved him. Now at 17 on a very spread out schedule we did vaccinate him knowing he was traveling overseas. And we have been treating the chemical sensitivities. But according to your standard, I am neglectful- really?!

I leave it up to my parents.
christine19720 04:57 AM 02-06-2015
All my daycare children are immunized to attend here. Licensing requires it and so do I.
sally 05:14 AM 02-06-2015
My kids are up to date on all vaccines. They have never been sick in their lives with anything more than a cold. I only take vaccinated children in my daycare. The only child who isn't had to have a bone marrow transplant and is healthy now and is catching up on her vaccines.
NightOwl 05:25 AM 02-06-2015
Well, I used to be more lenient. But that's changing. Unvaxed children were never a threat before, I just thought of it as a personal choice. But obviously I was wrong and these diseases CAN make come backs. And I'm even more concerned because this is my home, not just a place of business. I won't take the chance of something coming into my home, possibly infecting my children and shutting down my business.
Play Care 05:38 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by :
I don't mean to pick, but where are you finding this information? I tried a brief search last night and found no credible source that mentioned this. In fact, even the quack sources didn't mention it.

FWIW, I'm not necessarily for/against vaxing. I know people who have both had injuries from vaxing, and those who were permanently disabled from getting illness because they weren't vaxed, so I don't think it's cut and dried.
daycare 06:52 AM 02-06-2015
so my question never got answered. I guess no one has a policy on this issue I'm having. guess I'll have to wait until the lawyer gets back to me.
Leigh 07:07 AM 02-06-2015

Thanks
Yes, your policy of paying for the spot should be enough. I explain to parents that my tuition is calculated on a yearly basis, and that there are no exceptions to payment plans.

My policy states that ALL children must be vaccinated, and that anyone behind on vaccines must bring me a written plan from their clinic to get caught up (in the case of delayed vaccines or a child enrolling who is behind) and follow through with that plan.
LysesKids 07:10 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Wow, according to your standard I am a neglectful parent. I have no reason why originally I did not. I just knew not to do my son (did my daughter). When he was 10 we found out that he was very chemical sensitive and that the vaccines could have caused some major issues if not death for him. God saved him. Now at 17 on a very spread out schedule we did vaccinate him knowing he was traveling overseas. And we have been treating the chemical sensitivities. But according to your standard, I am neglectful- really?!

I leave it up to my parents.
I guess I'm classified neglectful too... oh, wait the DPT caused seizures in 2 of my 3 kids, my youngest ended up in a coma for 24hrs at 2 months; yeah, I skipped numerous Vax due to medical issues in my immediate family & others because either my kids already had the disease or it conflicted with what I researched... I accept vaxed, alternate & non vaxers, but all my kids age out before age 2; Many in my care will not get the MMR while here because of being on the alternate vax path and I can't get it because of my medical issues.
daycare 07:21 AM 02-06-2015
Yes, your policy of paying for the spot should be enough. I explain to parents that my tuition is calculated on a yearly basis, and that there are no exceptions to payment plans.

My policy states that ALL children must be vaccinated, and that anyone behind on vaccines must bring me a written plan from their clinic to get caught up (in the case of delayed vaccines or a child enrolling who is behind) and follow through with that plan.
but I am being told by licensing that it is not. BECAUSE the vax child we be forced out of the daycare if something breaks out and does not have the choice to attend. This does not fall under illness.
daycare 07:22 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I guess I'm classified neglectful too... oh, wait the DPT caused seizures in 2 of my 3 kids, my youngest ended up in a coma for 24hrs at 2 months; yeah, I skipped numerous Vax due to medical issues in my immediate family & others because either my kids already had the disease or it conflicted with what I researched... I accept vaxed, alternate & non vaxers, but all my kids age out before age 2; Many in my care will not get the MMR while here because of being on the alternate vax path and I can't get it because of my medical issues.
but this is completely different. You did it for medical reasons.
Leigh 07:24 AM 02-06-2015
but I am being told by licensing that it is not. BECAUSE the vax child we be forced out of the daycare if something breaks out and does not have the choice to attend. This does not fall under illness.
They don't have the choice to attend on your vacation days or on weekends, either, do they? That doesn't make sense to me. I guess I would just tell the parents that they can pay for the spot or find a new childcare situation. By making the choice to not vaccinate, they also make the choice to deal with the consequences of that (like the state not allowing them to attend daycare).
daycare 07:40 AM 02-06-2015
They don't have the choice to attend on your vacation days or on weekends, either, do they? That doesn't make sense to me. I guess I would just tell the parents that they can pay for the spot or find a new childcare situation. By making the choice to not vaccinate, they also make the choice to deal with the consequences of that (like the state not allowing them to attend daycare).
correct, so the state told me that I needed to supply them with a clear written contract outlining what will happen if a breakout occurs, inform them that it is the county's decision, not mine and that even though the child is out sick, they still have to pay.

I guess I can't explain right or something and was hoping that someone else has a section of their handbook that covers this very topic. But it also sounds like this may very state by state...
Leigh 07:50 AM 02-06-2015
correct, so the state told me that I needed to supply them with a clear written contract outlining what will happen if a breakout occurs, inform them that it is the county's decision, not mine and that even though the child is out sick, they still have to pay.

I guess I can't explain right or something and was hoping that someone else has a section of their handbook that covers this very topic. But it also sounds like this may very state by state...
Maybe a simple form for the parents of the unvaccinated to sign?

In the event of outbreak of contagious illness covered by vaccination, all unvaccinated children may not be allowed to attend for an amount of time specified by authorities. I have no control over these situations, but must comply with licensing rules. In such an event that your child can not attend due to being unvaccinated, full payment is still due each week in order to hold your child's position in my care.
Unregistered 07:51 AM 02-06-2015
Basically you need to say that payment is based on enrollment not attendance. If the state or county deems that the child/children are not allowed to attend the center due to a communicable illness for whatever reason payment will still be required per the contract.

I would also put something in there stating that if parents choose to term because of this situation they are still required to give written notice and provide 2 weeks (or whatever you require per your normal contract) payment. There will be parents that simply can't afford to be out of work and have kids home so they will end up terming and finding other care no mater what the "county or state says".
Unregistered 07:52 AM 02-06-2015
Basically you need to say that payment is based on enrollment not attendance. If the state or county deems that the child/children are not allowed to attend the center due to a communicable illness for whatever reason payment will still be required per the contract.

I would also put something in there stating that if parents choose to term because of this situation they are still required to give written notice and provide 2 weeks (or whatever you require per your normal contract) payment. There will be parents that simply can't afford to be out of work and have kids home so they will end up terming and finding other care no mater what the "county or state says".

I also think this should include all parents not just unvaccinated kids. You never know what new illness will pop up down the road that causes the kids to be forced home for an extended time.
Unregistered 09:55 AM 02-06-2015

In the event of outbreak of contagious illness covered by vaccination, all unvaccinated children may not be allowed to attend for an amount of time specified by authorities. I have no control over these situations, but must comply with licensing rules. In such an event that your child can not attend due to being unvaccinated, full payment is still due each week in order to hold your child's position in my care.
I have a statement similar to this in my policy book because I used to have several unvaccinated dcks.
in spite of that the one time I had to invoke that policy the parents got mad and terminated.
too bad, so sad! Not risking my babies or my business.
mom2many 09:59 AM 02-06-2015
I used to be more excepting of non vaccinated kids attending my daycare. I've only had two families in 30 years. One was a special Ed teacher and had strong beliefs of vaccinations being linked to autism and the other dcm had a child diagnosed at 15 mths on the autism spectrum and stopped his shots. They both signed the waivers, but no longer attend here.

However, now with so many of these diseases returning, I will no longer be accepting families who do not vaccinate!
Annalee 10:25 AM 02-06-2015
Every one here must get immunizations because I have never been confronted about it!
daycare 11:20 AM 02-06-2015

yes...exactly this.....thank you for understanding. I am feeling a lot of pressure right now.

I had to take a non-vax child because as the law reads, I cannot discriminate against it. I says that I can only refuse if the parents refuse to have a personal beliefs exemption form filled out by a doctor.........
sahm1225 11:49 AM 02-06-2015
yes...exactly this.....thank you for understanding. I am feeling a lot of pressure right now.

I had to take a non-vax child because as the law reads, I cannot discriminate against it. I says that I can only refuse if the parents refuse to have a personal beliefs exemption form filled out by a doctor.........
I don't understand how the law can protect the families that are not vaccinating. Is non vaccinating a protected class now? It doesn't make sense to me. It seems crazy that the law would offer protection against Someone's PERSONAL beliefs.
Unregistered 12:23 PM 02-06-2015
In Oregon it is illegal to refuse due to lack of immunizations. Parents have to complete an online course or see their doctor and get a form from them.
Unregistered 12:24 PM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I don't understand how the law can protect the families that are not vaccinating. Is non vaccinating a protected class now? It doesn't make sense to me. It seems crazy that the law would offer protection against Someone's PERSONAL beliefs.
Just one take the family because of schedule changes..
Unregistered 12:25 PM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Just don't take the family because of schedule changes..
Tags:community immunity, herd immunity, immunization waivers, immunizations, policy - vaccinations, vaccinations
Reply Up