Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charge Those Late Fees!!
lovemydaycare0912 03:52 PM 01-13-2016
I use to feel bad and barely ever charged late fees on late pick ups. My business will be a year in the end of February. Starting this year, I decided we had to be more strict. You all know I have a long time family, who I barely ever charged a fee for being late. Not anymore. Family was 45 minutes late... since we are in transition from being lenient to more strict, instead of $45, we charged $30. However, mom did not complain and paid me the fee. She knows how lenient we are and understands. I have so much to do after we close at 6. I don't have time for parents to be late. Another parent, late twice in a row. She works overnight so no real reason to be late. Monday late, we let it go just to see what she would do Tuesday. Tuesday late 40 mins. So we had to charge her. Shw understood and today came 2 hours early to pick up. Stand your ground. Sorry for no real sentences. Im tired.
spedmommy4 10:37 PM 01-13-2016
You are much nicer than me. Here, parents are on 3 strikes and your out. Any later than 15 minutes ever, without an amazing reason, and they are out.

We also start setting the table for our family dinner right at closing time. I found that parents started showing up a little earlier when they thought they were interrupting our family time.
lovemydaycare0912 05:02 AM 01-14-2016
It was hard because this one family had helped us out so much in the beginning, but we soon learned how to buckle down. Right now we have 6 kids and are hoping to expand to group home daycare ao we are tightening up our rules. Might put that in the handbook. The 3 strikes thing. How would you word it?
BBurris1 06:12 AM 01-14-2016
I just charged $35 in late fees yesterday too! The first time the parents were late it was by 5 minutes, but on a day that I had an interview scheduled right at close! I gave a very firm warning as a courtesy. But yesterday I just watched the dollars wrack up the later she was! Luckily I had nothing time sensitive going on!
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
It was hard because this one family had helped us out so much in the beginning, but we soon learned how to buckle down. Right now we have 6 kids and are hoping to expand to group home daycare ao we are tightening up our rules. Might put that in the handbook. The 3 strikes thing. How would you word it?
Can I ask how this family "helped" you out?
lovemydaycare0912 01:39 PM 01-14-2016
Before we were licensed, our state allows us to carr for 1 child. She pulled her child out of daycare so we could have some income until we opened. She also donated a bunch of daycare and non daycare stuff. We grew like a family but a month agonwe had a heart to heart. So now we have been more strict with a bunch of things including late fees. I learned my lesson the hard way.
Blackcat31 01:42 PM 01-14-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Before we were licensed, our state allows us to carr for 1 child. She pulled her child out of daycare so we could have some income until we opened. She also donated a bunch of daycare and non daycare stuff. We grew like a family but a month agonwe had a heart to heart. So now we have been more strict with a bunch of things including late fees. I learned my lesson the hard way.
I asked because I learned the hard way in regards to families that are especially "giving"...... when it comes right down to it, most do such wonderful things to "help us out" so they can call in a favor later so I learned that those types of acts always come with strings attached.

So good for you for recognizing that although your families care about each other and you are appreciative of the things they've done for you, it shouldn't influence your business or your finances.
thrivingchildcarecom 02:47 PM 01-14-2016
When I started, I was so optimistic. I didn't really believe anyone would take advantage of me. Then I had a parent pick up almost 2 hours late. I changed my policy right then and there. Now I rarely have lates but mainly because I routinely remind them how much they will be charged if they pick up late (or drop off early).
lovemydaycare0912 04:24 AM 01-15-2016
Yeah now I always enforce my policy down to the smallest when need be. Just so they know and cant say they didn't. If they hate me that much, they can find someone new. My family and finances come first. Thank you guys for being an inspiration.
DaveA 04:36 AM 01-15-2016
In my contract DCPs have one late pickup without fees being charged (at my discretion), then fees are enforced. It has worked well for me and parents appreciate it just in case of car trouble, family emergency, etc.
Tags:late fees
Reply Up