Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do The Unlicensed Daycares Advertise?
Unregistered 12:29 PM 02-01-2013
Is it eligible for an unlicensed home daycare to advertise on different web sites ' criagslist as an exaplme' ? does it mean they are eligible to have this business or they are observed by the state?
MarinaVanessa 01:22 PM 02-01-2013
It depends on the state that you live in (and sometimes the county/city) and also the type of services that they are providing.

I am in CA and if you are license-exempt, meaning that you don't need a license to provide child care, then yes you can.
Specific examples like this are if you are a nanny, if you are a babysitter, if you care for the children of only one family in your home, if you care for relatives children only etc.

If you are caring for the children of more than one family in your home without a license then you are running an illegal daycare and you are not allowed to advertise for clients anywhere.

In other states you are allowed to care for more kids and more families and you don't need to be licensed or registered so again, it just depends on where you live.
melilley 01:45 PM 02-01-2013
In MI you have to have a license to watch any kids who are unrelated to you, but there are always ads on CL for unlicensed childcare providers. Here unless someone reports you, the state rarely will come after you. There are not enough resources to investigate everyone. No offense if you are unlicensed and need to be, but it drives me crazy to see these people advertise when they are unlicensed, especially since it's illegal here. I put a lot of time and money into opening my in home because you are supposed to have a license. Someone around my area even put an ad on CL stating how it's illegal to run an unlicensed daycare, but people still do it. Now if it's legal to provide unlicensed care, more power to you to advertise!
Starburst 02:14 PM 02-01-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
In MI you have to have a license to watch any kids who are unrelated to you, but there are always ads on CL for unlicensed childcare providers. Here unless someone reports you, the state rarely will come after you. There are not enough resources to investigate everyone. No offense if you are unlicensed and need to be, but it drives me crazy to see these people advertise when they are unlicensed, especially since it's illegal here. I put a lot of time and money into opening my in home because you are supposed to have a license. Someone around my area even put an ad on CL stating how it's illegal to run an unlicensed daycare, but people still do it. Now if it's legal to provide unlicensed care, more power to you to advertise!
Also depending on your state (such as California) if you get caught you have to pay a penalty of up to $200 per day you operated without a liscense (so even if you get away with it for a month 5 days a week that is $4000) and in the future they could possibly deny your request for a license.

I heard of one stay-at-home mom in texas who would frequently babysit her friends and neighbors kids or just invite her kids friends after school (all for free) and someone called the state on her saying that she was running a unregistered/unliscensed daycare and almost got fined but since it was free they told her she couldn't have that much kids unless she got a daycare liscense.
cheerfuldom 02:27 PM 02-01-2013
in my state you can watch up to four kids and do not have to get a license. this does not include your own relatives. so yes, these ads are everywhere but there are also plenty of people that take many more kids and still dont get a license.
MissSarah 11:40 PM 02-01-2013
Here in BC you can watch 2 kids OR one sibling group without being licensed so yes it's fine to advertise without being licensed.

Like others have said, it all depends on where you are.
rmc20021 10:39 AM 02-02-2013
That is sooooo funny....I'm in Michigan and *I* put an ad on CL regarding it being illegal to operate an unlicensed daycare in MI and what the consequences are, and the ad was removed and I was sent an email stating *MY* ad was illegal to post.

First, it drives me crazy also that unlicensed providers are allowed to advertise on there when the licenced daycares take the time and effort to follow all the guidelines to do it right, pay all the prices and fees, file taxes etc, then along comes someone who is not licensed and undercut their rates, putting the ones doing things legally out of business.

I don't know about now, but I do know years ago in order to advertise in the local newspaper you had to provide your license number or they wouldn't accept your ad.
melilley 10:46 AM 02-02-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
That is sooooo funny....I'm in Michigan and *I* put an ad on CL regarding it being illegal to operate an unlicensed daycare in MI and what the consequences are, and the ad was removed and I was sent an email stating *MY* ad was illegal to post.

First, it drives me crazy also that unlicensed providers are allowed to advertise on there when the licenced daycares take the time and effort to follow all the guidelines to do it right, pay all the prices and fees, file taxes etc, then along comes someone who is not licensed and undercut their rates, putting the ones doing things legally out of business.

I don't know about now, but I do know years ago in order to advertise in the local newspaper you had to provide your license number or they wouldn't accept your ad.
LOL are you near Lansing? I may have sent you an email..lol a good one.
rmc20021 10:51 AM 02-02-2013
No...not near Lansing. Is that where the person was from who posted the ad on CL about unlicensed providers? Must be more than one of upset about it. Mine was nothing negative, just stating what the consequences were and how the state regulates childcare and with today's society you really need to know who is watching your kids etc...just basically a message warning more than criticizing. I was surprised it was removed and I received the email from the administrator or whoever it was.
melilley 11:00 AM 02-02-2013
No...not near Lansing. Is that where the person was from who posted the ad on CL about unlicensed providers? Must be more than one of upset about it. Mine was nothing negative, just stating what the consequences were and how the state regulates childcare and with today's society you really need to know who is watching your kids etc...just basically a message warning more than criticizing. I was surprised it was removed and I received ththe email from the administrator or whoever it was.
Darn I was hoping there was someone on this forum around me...lol Yes, that was what the person here said. It wasn't mean at all, but someone took it down so the person made another one, but telling licensed providers to put that they are licensed in the title. I'm glad people are saying something. Maybe someone copied yours...lol
rmc20021 12:39 PM 02-02-2013
Yes, licensed childcare providers do need to speak up. I've caused some heated arguements on facebook just by stating it is illegal for unlicensed providers to give care to kids not related to them and even linked a website so they didn't think I just made it up.
I made my statement, posted the link and left it at that...EVERYONE else was making all kinds of comments about it, mostly supporting unlicensed providers being able to care for children.
They just don't get what we have to go through to do things the correct, legal way...and obviously not the 'why' either.
mbullette 12:44 PM 02-02-2013
I will be straight out and say I am not licensed and yes I do advertise. I am not allowed to be licensed because the city I live in does not allow fenced in yards. I had the state licensing person come out and said I would pass with no problems but unfortunately with no fence there was no license. There are 5 unlicensed providers in my area and no large centers because its not allowed here. Just because we are not licensed does not make us bad providers. I still follow all the rules as if I were licensed. I don't see why the unlicensed providers cant advertise or what the big problem is??????
melilley 01:44 PM 02-02-2013
Originally Posted by mbullette:
I will be straight out and say I am not licensed and yes I do advertise. I am not allowed to be licensed because the city I live in does not allow fenced in yards. I had the state licensing person come out and said I would pass with no problems but unfortunately with no fence there was no license. There are 5 unlicensed providers in my area and no large centers because its not allowed here. Just because we are not licensed does not make us bad providers. I still follow all the rules as if I were licensed. I don't see why the unlicensed providers cant advertise or what the big problem is??????
I don't have a problem with providers who aren't licensed, if it is legal to operate without a license in your state. There are laws for a reason. I'm not saying that unlicensed providers are bad, but the key words that you said was "I follow all the rules as if I were licensed". A lot of people don't or they don't know the rules or what is adequate for the children. I guess what it comes down to it for me is it's illegal here to operate w/o a license so you shouldn't. That's just my opinion.
melilley 01:48 PM 02-02-2013
Yes, licensed childcare providers do need to speak up. I've caused some heated arguements on facebook just by stating it is illegal for unlicensed providers to give care to kids not related to them and even linked a website so they didn't think I just made it up.
I made my statement, posted the link and left it at that...EVERYONE else was making all kinds of comments about it, mostly supporting unlicensed providers being able to care for children.
They just don't get what we have to go through to do things the correct, legal way...and obviously not the 'why' either.
Exactly! We do have to go through a lot, both with time and money. I don't have a problem with unlicensed providers IF it is legal! It will always be up for debate and people will get mad, but there are plenty of laws that are debatable and will cause conflict.
rmc20021 02:53 PM 02-02-2013
If there's an ordianance that does not allow fencing, but daycare rules are that you MUST have a fence to be licensed, why do you think there is the rule to begin with? For the safety of the kids. I'm not saying you're not a good provider and give excellent care for the children you care for, but the rules are there for a reason and if unlicensed providers are not monitored, there could be some major consequences not only for the child who may dart out into the road and get hit, but for the provider themselves in a lawsuit.

You may be a wonderful caregiver, but what about the next person who isn't and isn't being monitored by the state, having inspections and complying by the daycare rules.

What about the sex perpetrator who decides to have children in their homes...have they been finger printed or had background checks?

What about someone who has mental health issues and hasn't been cleared by a physician that they are mentally and physically capable to care for children, or someone who may have had their own child removed by cps and had their parental rights terminated who decides they are capable of caring when they've lost their own.

There are so many variables that children could be endangered by and although I know MOST unlicensed providers are just as good as the ones who are licensed, it's those few who aren't...who aren't being monitored, who are the ones I fear for the safety of the children.

Please understand I'm NOT criticising anyone on here...it's just that the states set up these guidelines due to the fact of so many children being abused throughout the years and they want to try to protect as many as possible. They can't all be protected, but there's a greater chance of doing so with the guidelines the states have set up for childcare providers.
momofboys 03:19 PM 02-02-2013
In my state (Ohio) a provider isn't required to be registered or licensed. I advertise and it isn't illegal.
Blackcat31 03:30 PM 02-02-2013
I understand where you are coming from, but a license is in NO WAY a guarantee that none of those things won't happen.

If fencing is an absolute necessity for child care and safety reasons, why don't ALL states require fenced in yards?

What about the licensed provider who has a boyfriend or a friend or anyone not on her license that is a sex offender and comes into the home?

My state doesn't require a mental health evaluation to be done at all.

A neighboring child care provider who IS licensed had her own child removed by CPS due to some issues that had NOTHING to do with her ability to care for daycare kids. She is still licensed.

I also know someone who has had their parental rights terminated and works in child care.

I am just pointing out that there are many licensed and unlicensed child cares out there and I do NOT believe for one second that having a license makes anyone a better provider than the next.

I am not saying I would personally be willing to break the law and operate illegally if my state required me to have a license but it surely doesn't make me a better provider just because I do have a license.
Candy 05:56 PM 02-02-2013
I can care for 7 children not including the ones related to me. No i am not licensed and yes i can advertise. I don't have a license because i will be moving so it would pointless right now.
Lori's Family Daycare 11:59 AM 02-03-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Is it eligible for an unlicensed home daycare to advertise on different web sites ' criagslist as an exaplme' ? does it mean they are eligible to have this business or they are observed by the state?
I am in Wisconsin and I am "Certified" with the county I live in. I have taken the required childcare courses to open my home for daycare and I can have multiple families but can only have 3 children under age 7 and 3 over age 7.
I advertise on craigslist, I am going to open a business account on Facebook that is linked to a website that I am building. I believe I can that my website to the state childcare site as well since I am registered there as well.

Lori's Family Daycare 12:04 PM 02-03-2013
check the your city or county if there is another avenue than licensing. I myself don't have a big enough home for licensed in my state. I need 35 sq ft per child of play space. I don't have that. So I went the route of getting certified through my county that I reside.
Lori's Family Daycare 12:09 PM 02-03-2013
Exactly! We do have to go through a lot, both with time and money. I don't have a problem with unlicensed providers IF it is legal! It will always be up for debate and people will get mad, but there are plenty of laws that are debatable and will cause conflict.
I had to go through time and money as well..being "certified" through the county here in WI. Youngstar as well. Yeah it's alot and I am sure licensing is alot more. But I have taken the same hrs of education for certification. Don't disrespect all non licensed care providers out there!
Unregistered 06:53 AM 02-04-2013

Most of the women fyi are often homemakers or older who only watch a child or two. My sister had a great lady in her neighborhood that watched my nieces till they went to school.
My own feeling is jealousy is counter-productive, and you don't know someone's situation if they are licensed, getting a license; etc.

You are right in MI and most states there isn't much they can do. In my experience the licensed daycares get in trouble the most because disgruntled parents make bogus claims.
My friend recently gave up her license because of all the nuts she regretted giving her personal info. to and other problems associated. IMO its up to the individual, and you do not know their circumstances.
Willow 08:00 AM 02-04-2013

All opinions here aside, it all depends on where you live. If your operating is considered legal in your state/county then advertising for it would be legal too. If your operating is *NOT* considered legal in your state/county then obviously advertising for illegal activities wouldn't fly either.

Some across the board examples:
-You can sell a car on Craigslist or in the newspaper, but not illegal drugs.
-You can offer the general public piano lessons on Craigslist or in the newspaper, but you can not solicit business for an unlicensed tattoo parlor you run out of your basement.

Advertising that you sell illegal drugs or run an unlicensed tattoo parlor out of your home (or are running a daycare out of your home when it's prohibited by law without certain stipulations being met) would leave you open to being investigated, fined, prosecuted etc.
bunnyslippers 08:12 AM 02-04-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I understand where you are coming from, but a license is in NO WAY a guarantee that none of those things won't happen.

If fencing is an absolute necessity for child care and safety reasons, why don't ALL states require fenced in yards?

What about the licensed provider who has a boyfriend or a friend or anyone not on her license that is a sex offender and comes into the home?

My state doesn't require a mental health evaluation to be done at all.

A neighboring child care provider who IS licensed had her own child removed by CPS due to some issues that had NOTHING to do with her ability to care for daycare kids. She is still licensed.

I also know someone who has had their parental rights terminated and works in child care.

I am just pointing out that there are many licensed and unlicensed child cares out there and I do NOT believe for one second that having a license makes anyone a better provider than the next.

I am not saying I would personally be willing to break the law and operate illegally if my state required me to have a license but it surely doesn't make me a better provider just because I do have a license.
In my state, you are required to be licensed, even if you are caring for one child that is not your own.

I have to say, I am completely disillusioned with the entire process. As BC says, a license does not make you a better provider.

Since I have had my license for the past 5 years, I have not seen or heard from any member of the licensing department UNLESS I NEEDED TO PAY A RENEWAL FEE. I feel that licensing is a complete joke, and that the only reason for it is to collect money.

I know that I am a good provider, and that my licensor has faith in my ability to care for children. I know she is overworked and has a very full caseload. She tells me at each renewal visit that she is supposed to do a follow up visit, but that she probably will not. And she never has.

I truly feel that the amount of money and time it takes to conform to regulations is unnecessary.
Country Kids 08:22 AM 02-04-2013
Our CC&R checks Craigslist daily for new ads. They know who is registered and who isn't. They follow up with every ad that is an unregistered provider.

Its amazing how quickly those ads actually disapear when they realize that licensing actually follows that sight.
rmc20021 08:24 AM 02-04-2013
It should not matter what the situation is that causes a person to provide care for children in their home if it's not legal in their state.
Personally, I would not want someone caring for my child who is willing to break this law. If they don't care enough about following the laws in one area, why would I trust them to follow the laws in other areas, thus having access to my child?
It's about what is right or wrong. It's a law. Period. That's only one thing. Doesn't even include anything else that is involved with operating a legitimate business. And even if they are only caring for a couple of their friends children...they are still getting paid for it and it's still considered a business. Just an illegal business. PERIOD!!!
In MI there was a woman who was caring for neighbor children from the time parents had to leave to work and the tiime the kids had to leave for school...and not charging for it. Below is a link to what happened in that situation. NOT saying it was wrong of her to do this, but the fact of the matter is that it IS a law, and there are consequences if caught. And if not caught and something does happen, it could be very costly for the person providing care.
Even when I was licensed before, one of the reason's I stopped doing daycare was because of the way the parents would allow their kids to behave at pickup times. One little girl jumped from the top step of my porch into her dad's arms and he was not prepared. That could have been disasterous...and a lawsuit. Fortunately as licensed providers we have insurance available to us to help protect us in those situations...what about the unlicense caregivers? Are they really prepared to deal with a lawsuit should something unforeseen arise?
There are just so many, many reason why an unlicesensed caregiver should not provide care for children and I for one would not be someone who is willing to take those chances.
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/fea...lping-out.html
Willow 08:29 AM 02-04-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Our CC&R checks Craigslist daily for new ads. They know who is registered and who isn't. They follow up with every ad that is an unregistered provider.

Its amazing how quickly those ads actually disapear when they realize that licensing actually follows that sight.

This is awesome.

I wish all were that diligent.
Unregistered 05:51 PM 06-23-2021
My question is, what is the way to legally advertise your UPCOMING home day care pre licensing? I understand i am unable to accept children in my care without a license; however I would like to get a list of families going for when I do become licensed. Can I advertise and just state “license pending” in the advertisement? is it legal to advertise in that way?
Michael 08:57 PM 06-23-2021
My question is, what is the way to legally advertise your UPCOMING home day care pre licensing? I understand i am unable to accept children in my care without a license; however I would like to get a list of families going for when I do become licensed. Can I advertise and just state “license pending” in the advertisement? is it legal to advertise in that way?
That really does depend on your state. In California you cannot advertise for any reason without having a childcare license unless you are license-exempt as a church, etc.
Cat Herder 06:01 AM 06-25-2021
In my state you can enroll up to 2 kids and advertise as license pending. Once your license is granted, you can then enroll 4 more, max.

Every state is different. That fact is frustrating at times, but it is also nice to know that I can move 30 minutes away and double the number of kids I can have, without even being licensed, if I really get too sick of the rules and regs in my state. It is always one of those "be careful what you ask for" things when it comes to universal rules. Freedom of choice always wins that battle to me.
Tags:advertise, advertise - unlicensed daycare, unlicensed
Reply Up