Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Subsidized Questions...Not Sure How To Handle This
Little Star75 09:58 AM 03-28-2013
I am not sure how you all handle subsidize Childcare or how it's paid in your county. Here in my county there's 5 different programs, most programs work the same way. They pay monthly (1.5 months after care) yeah I know, right?

My question is.... Do you have parents pay upfront and then reimburse later? When the child is out because she/he is sick, with grandma etc... Do you make DCP write a reason so you don't have to be without pay?
At least the programs they offer here us providers get paid regardless but parent must state the reason. Parents get 10 sick days and 10 vacation days/personal days.

The same parent that was upset for sending the child home with a fever is the parent who has subsidized Childcare. Her schedule varies weekly but does work weekends. This child has been sick since he started so I was concerned about not getting paid. Parent has given me a hard time writing a reason on the time sheet. I never knew why until yesterday as we were talking on the phone she mentioned to me she had another provider (her mother) I was like "WTH"! And asked her why she didnt tell me before and said "I forgot" which I didnt believe. So I was thinking of terming her because I don't think it's fair that this child doesn't attend and I don't get paid, I can have a FT child and guarantee my weekly rate.
She is stopping by today to talk but I'm not sure the best way to tell her that I need her to pay me since I'm u sure what my pay will be. Btw this months payment will be April 21st.

Thanks in advance and hope I made sense.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:10 AM 03-28-2013
I only take one county family because it always seems there is some issue since ohio switched to a POS system we get paid weekly direct deposit. There is a two week delay. Our state is now anything under 7 hours is hourly 7-26 hours I think is part time rate, 26- 50 is full time rate. Which definitely is good for those part time kids to find care. Kinda sucks when you have 20 hour a week kid
If you being paid hourly, then yes, term is there are already issues. I would in the future, put in my contract parent must fill in reason for absent on sign in sheet and must notify is a second provider is being used. We live and learn as far as parent paying and then reimbursing... I don't think you can or that the parent would be able.
Crystal 10:14 AM 03-28-2013
Ugh. This is a toughy.

Technically, you are not supposed to charge the parent upfront.

Is her Mother ALSO getting paid by the county? Have YOU ever recieved payment from the county or is she new and you are waiting for your first payment? Do you have a Child Care Certificate from the agency that has YOUR name on it as the provider? Have you ever spoken with her worker?

If you can answer those for me, I may have some answers for you on how to proceed.
Little Star75 10:17 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I only take one county family because it always seems there is some issue since ohio switched to a POS system we get paid weekly direct deposit. There is a two week delay. Our state is now anything under 7 hours is hourly 7-26 hours I think is part time rate, 26- 50 is full time rate. Which definitely is good for those part time kids to find care. Kinda sucks when you have 20 hour a week kid
If you being paid hourly, then yes, term is there are already issues. I would in the future, put in my contract parent must fill in reason for absent on sign in sheet and must notify is a second provider is being used. We live and learn as far as parent paying and then reimbursing... I don't think you can or that the parent would be able.
Good idea! It's understandable since the parent is in subsidized care most likely they can't afford it. However as far as "if we can" I think that if we put in the contract and they agree they must pay. I was thinking more like paying partial amount YKWIM.... I have seen other post like this but don't seem to find them. In my case I know this DCP can afford it (I personally know her)
Little Star75 10:21 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Ugh. This is a toughy.

Technically, you are not supposed to charge the parent upfront.

Is her Mother ALSO getting paid by the county? Have YOU ever recieved payment from the county or is she new and you are waiting for your first payment? Do you have a Child Care Certificate from the agency that has YOUR name on it as the provider? Have you ever spoken with her worker?

If you can answer those for me, I may have some answers for you on how to proceed.
I don't know if her mother is getting paid, DCP was hiding this from me.

Certificate has my name only but that doesn't mean she doesn't have another provider. The certificate won't have both names since pay rate is different for licensed providers.

I received first payment for 2 weeks which was short paid.

I left a message for the worker to call me.
Crystal 10:25 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
I don't know if her mother is getting paid, DCP was hiding this from me.
Certificate has my name only but that doesn't mean she doesn't have another provider. The certificate won't have both names since pay rate is different for licensed providers.

I received first payment for 2 weeks which was short paid.

I left a message for the worker to call me.
If she is using her Mother for sick care, you are likely NOT going to get paid for sick days, because they will be paying her for those days.

If this is what you find out from the caseworker when she calls you back, I would type up a letter with the excat dates child was out ill and bill the Mom for them. If she refuses to pay, I would term. In fact, I'd probably term anyway, because she is being dishonest with you. THAT is the ONE thing I will not tolerate for a second with any DCP.

Good luck, I hope you get paid.
Little Star75 11:10 AM 03-28-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
If she is using her Mother for sick care, you are likely NOT going to get paid for sick days, because they will be paying her for those days.

If this is what you find out from the caseworker when she calls you back, I would type up a letter with the excat dates child was out ill and bill the Mom for them. If she refuses to pay, I would term. In fact, I'd probably term anyway, because she is being dishonest with you. THAT is the ONE thing I will not tolerate for a second with any DCP.

Good luck, I hope you get paid.
Exactly, that's why I'm concerned not getting paid. I know exactly how these programs work, I was in subsidized Childcare when I was on my own with 3 part time jobs... To be exact.... 2 years ago. I also had 2 providers one was a CDC (school site ) and the other for evening and weekends, both licensed.
Thanks for the advice
Tags:subsidy - california
Reply Up