Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Think I've Finally Found My Calling-Just As I'm Nearing Retirement
Sunchimes 05:31 PM 06-14-2013
Long, long ago, seriously, long ago, a book came out called Son Rise, about a child with autism and how his family worked with him at home using then unheard of techniques. I was fresh out of college, and I remember thinking that I wished the book had come out 4 years earlier, because I would certainly have a different degree.

I've been interested in the subject since then, but only from a distance, life being what it was through the years.

Now, I have a baby in the early intervention program. We don't think he is on the spectrum, but he has some sensory disorders. It is so fascinating! I have spent hours online reading and downloaded a couple of books to my tablet. His main therapist came today and we just talked. I had questions about what I read and how it related to my dcb. I wasn't quite clear on how what we were doing would lead to helping his problem. But now, it makes perfect sense.

If I lived in a place with a university, and if I was young enough to start a new profession, I would be starting school this fall. Unfortunately, by the time I finished school I would probably be un-hireable. But in my next life, I know what I'm doing!
cheerfuldom 05:53 PM 06-14-2013
thats interesting. my middle daughter has sensory issues too but isnt diagnosed with anything particular (yet....) but yeah, its very enlightening to read how the brain works and coordinates all this information and what happens when things dont run smoothly for a child.
AmyKidsCo 05:56 PM 06-14-2013
Why can't you take some classes and volunteer? I'm not in the school districts but I think para-pros work with children on the spectrum and they don't need as much education as teachers. It's not too late as long as you're on this side of the ground, LOL!
Sunchimes 06:18 PM 06-14-2013
Several reasons-there are no schools around me, I work between 55 and 60 hours a week, and no money for tuition, etc. I think my time for formal education is past, but I can enjoy learning all I can just to help my dck. I'll know I made a difference.
youretooloud 06:40 PM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Long, long ago, seriously, long ago, a book came out called Son Rise, about a child with autism and how his family worked with him at home using then unheard of techniques. I was fresh out of college, and I remember thinking that I wished the book had come out 4 years earlier, because I would certainly have a different degree.
I remember reading that book in high school. That, and A circle of Children are what made me want to work with Special needs kids. Reality was sadly nothing like I expected, but those and other books have a special place in my heart.

Loving Lamposts is a good documentary on Netflix.

And, another book that is really good is "Let Me Hear your voice".
Sunchimes 07:39 PM 06-14-2013
I read all of the Torey Hayden books too. I admired her, but I never wanted to get into anything quite that dramatic.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll look them up.
Cradle2crayons 08:08 PM 06-14-2013
As a mom of a child with sensory issues I agree. They are fascinating little creatures. And working with them is so very rewarding on so many levels. Maybe you could do some consulting work with other providers??
craftymissbeth 08:11 PM 06-14-2013
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Why can't you take some classes and volunteer? I'm not in the school districts but I think para-pros work with children on the spectrum and they don't need as much education as teachers. It's not too late as long as you're on this side of the ground, LOL!
Where I'm fom all you need is a high school diploma/GED to be a para through our school district.
Sunchimes 06:23 AM 06-15-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
Where I'm fom all you need is a high school diploma/GED to be a para through our school district.
Really? Hmm. I'm not going to be ready to give up my current day care kids until they go to school, but it's certainly something to talk to the therapist about for next year. Thanks for the information.
Tags:autism, therapist
Reply Up