Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Behavior - Pet Peeves
Jujube835 11:26 AM 01-07-2016
What is something that parents do that really knots your britches?

Mine is when a parent says, "come here" and then laughs when the child runs away! ITS NOT FUNNY! It's dangerous.

I have one mom that laughs every single day when her child runs away at pickup.

I'm not confrontational so o haven't addressed the mom but I have said, " hey Johnny, it's not funny to run from your mother. She's asking you to come and running away could be dangerous. She asked you to do something and this isn't a time for jokes." yet mom still allows the behavior and laughs every time.

Sure enough, mom was trying to get child into car at pickup today and he darted. STRAIGHT INTO THE ROAD. Mom screamed "NO!" in the most blood-curdling tone. I ran to the door just to see what happened and thank goodness, no cars were coming. But I bet she won't be joking around when he runs away anymore...

Why do people have to learn the hard way!??
spedmommy4 12:07 PM 01-07-2016
Attempting to negotiate my policies. Especially when they do it via text . . .
midaycare 12:10 PM 01-07-2016
When they hang around at drop off. Pickup doesn't bother me, I like to chat about their day. But dropoff, nope! They all know it, too. Only 2 parents are lingerers.
laundrymom 12:26 PM 01-07-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
When they hang around at drop off. Pickup doesn't bother me, I like to chat about their day. But dropoff, nope! They all know it, too. Only 2 parents are lingerers.
I've got one dad who tries to hang out. Eeeks me out. He wants to chat it up and I want to move on w my day. Not flirtation at all. Just, adult conversation I think. His wife works until late so he has no one to talk to.
Ariana 12:35 PM 01-07-2016
I could literally write a novel
Thriftylady 12:41 PM 01-07-2016
Most recently it was when I corrected my grandson who is 2 and he started pouting and his mom was here and started hugging and kissing him and saying "yeah I know you are the bestest baby in the whole world". Yeah okay but you are the same one who is going to be mad when I don't make him leave DD's cat alone and he gets scratched.
Janiam 01:02 PM 01-07-2016
The drop off and pick up performance makes. me. crazy. It always comes from the DCM's that spend the least time with their kids and want to make sure that everyone else views them as mother of the year
Blackcat31 01:03 PM 01-07-2016
Off hand......

childcaremom 02:38 PM 01-07-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Off hand......
  • Any sentence that begins with "I know it's against the rules but....."
  • Any sentence that begins with "He/She wouldn't let me _____________."
  • ANY discussion about paying outside their normal pay date.
  • Asking me if any others are sick at daycare when their child gets sick.......ESPECIALLY when asked by a parent that is a nurse or works at the clinic/hospital or public school.
This made me laugh. Just yesterday, was telling a dcm that I had noticed her little one coughing and she asked if anyone was sick here. I said no, everyone is in the clear. Then she said to dcg, where did you get this cold? Dcg answers: Dad!

Ha ha ha.

I didn't take it as annoying, she was just genuinely curious to see if anyone was sick with anything that she should keep an eye out for, and dcg is only 17 months and is always saying dad. The comic timing was impeccable, though.
childcaremom 02:38 PM 01-07-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:

About one dcf. There's always one in the group
Crazy Baby 02:46 PM 01-07-2016
DCD showed up late everyday. I told him to start texting me to let me know that he will be late and what time I should expect him. He texts me "will be late, be there by 11:30." Seriously though? This would be at 8:30 or 9 in the morning. So that meant that he could show up anytime between those times. Like we were all suppose to wait around for him and his kid all day.

I was getting ready to draw up a new contract with new hours for him but they ended up putting in their two weeks. Thank God I don't have to deal with that family anymore.
nannyde 03:48 PM 01-07-2016
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N6H...2210355&sr=8-1

My "novel"
Ariana 05:03 PM 01-07-2016
Originally Posted by nannyde:

My "novel"
yep! I was totally going to say that you had a lovely novel that addresses all of my "pet peeves" . Great book!
Annalee 05:25 PM 01-07-2016
Had a parent ask this week "I have my handbook at home but just thought I would ask what is the absolute latest I can pick up xxxx" I replied with "you have contracted hours, anything outside of that will have charges added". Also had a parent whom I sent the child home for excessive diarhea text at 9 PM this week asking if the child could come the next day...UGH NO, NO, NO...They ask because they know the answer but are seeing if you will enforce the rule. I do not like when parents TRY to negotiate.
ChelseaB 08:12 PM 01-07-2016
-I HATE being put in the middle of separated/divorced parental conflicts. Or being the go between. For example: "Hello DCP, just a reminder that payment is due today!"
"Oh shoot, I totally forgot! Ughhhh I am so broke, I don't know what I am going to do!" (Go ahead and make this statement alone number 2!) "maybe you can talk to other DCP and they'll pay it this week, etc etc"
.........stony silence.... "I'm sorry DCP, however, I don't want to be brought into the middle of your arrangements. If you all could please decide now and going forward yourselves how this shall be managed, I'd appreciate it! Thank you so much for being so understanding!"
-"im so sorry, DCK wanted/didn't want to do this/bring this item/eat or drink this food/etc".......uh, no. You're the parent. If you want or need a child to do something, you handle it and make them do it.
-"Can you <<insert special request here>>?" Sigh.....
-"I totally forgot my checkbook/today was payday!"
-"how much is it this week? Oh, it's the same flat rate? But DCK was sick or with family (OR I just wanted to keep them home and save money) -- doesn't that take anything off?"
-"What do you mean you don't want to rock my screaming baby to sleep who is solely nursed to sleep at home?"

....to name a few. Lol
Josiegirl 03:02 AM 01-08-2016
" I don't understand it, she never does this at home?"

Or the parent who stands inside the front door with both doors open, waiting for her child to crawl inside, while it's 10 outside.

Or the parent who keeps coming back to dck who's whining/crying for them not to leave. Just go already, I guarantee they will be okay! And if they're not, I'll call you.
Annalee 04:47 AM 01-08-2016
I don't like the names some parents use for their child sometimes either....i.e. heifer, hellyun, etc.....that bothers me.
Kimskiddos 07:30 AM 01-08-2016
My current pet peeve is, when I have to address an issue with dcb, his mom and/or dad say "He got that (behavior) from his sister." With this excuse they feel it's out of their hands, so nothing for them to worry about.

I don't care where the behavior came from I just want it worked on.
Leigh 07:46 AM 01-08-2016
Do I have to pay you for Tuesday when you were closed? YES. Do I have to pay you for Wednesday when DCK was sick? YES. Even from a parent who has been here for years, I still get the question. You pay the same every week. PERIOD.
Miss A 08:13 AM 01-08-2016
Calling and texting me after hours and on weekends with questions that are answered ad pick up, and then getting mad when I don't respond. Just like any business establishment, I do close. I do have times when I do not want to deal with you, or your family drama. We have business relationship, we are not besties!
Play Care 09:20 AM 01-08-2016
I have one parent who picks up right on the dot of closing or a bare minute after. Not enough to be "late" but enough to be annoying. Especially since parent is a teacher and is the last one to pick up each day.
And as the wife of a teacher I know all too well that teachers can't leave when students do, etc. but when you agree to come to a day care that you know closes at x time, then you need to make it work.
Annalee 09:25 AM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I have one parent who picks up right on the dot of closing or a bare minute after. Not enough to be "late" but enough to be annoying. Especially since parent is a teacher and is the last one to pick up each day.
And as the wife of a teacher I know all too well that teachers can't leave when students do, etc. but when you agree to come to a day care that you know closes at x time, then you need to make it work.
I have a parent that tried this as well...she come running in and said "it was 4:30 when I pulled in the drive" and I said "you owe $10 for the minute it took you to get in here" NOPE, not happened again and the child still comes....been here a year this spring.
daycare 09:34 AM 01-08-2016
not bringing in back up clothing after I sent up an email and a text reminder

or the oh, I didn't know when it has been posted for months and months in every news letter, all over the daycare and you were sent reminders.

their issues are not my issues
Ariana 09:36 AM 01-08-2016
I have this EXACT same situation. She literally comes at 5pm every single day. NEVER a minute earlier. It's almost as if she hangs out at the end of the street and drives up at 5pm because I have no idea how you can be that exact. Every other parent I have ever dealt with, including her husband that does drop off, comes anywhere within a 15 minute time frame. Never at the exact same time each day....she is also a teacher She also hangs out chatting for at least 10-15 minutes during pickup and lets her kid walk all over my house in their boots because she wants ME to parent her child for her.
Play Care 09:53 AM 01-08-2016
I have this EXACT same situation. She literally comes at 5pm every single day. NEVER a minute earlier. It's almost as if she hangs out at the end of the street and drives up at 5pm because I have no idea how you can be that exact. Every other parent I have ever dealt with, including her husband that does drop off, comes anywhere within a 15 minute time frame. Never at the exact same time each day....she is also a teacher She also hangs out chatting for at least 10-15 minutes during pickup and lets her kid walk all over my house in their boots because she wants ME to parent her child for her.
Ugh! And since she's technically on time..
Since she's my last one I have her ready to go and practically toss her out the door No hanging out
Ariana 10:03 AM 01-08-2016
Since she's my last one I have her ready to go and practically toss her out the door No hanging out
I SOOOOO want to have the balls to do this! hahaha! I just feel too bad about it.
childcaremom 10:04 AM 01-08-2016
I changed my handbook/contract to read that pick up time = closing time. Basically, whatever time they have contracted for means that their child is picked up, readied, and exited the building by their pick up time. So 5:30 means they are out of here by 5:30, not sauntering in at that time. Because I had that parent, too.
Blackcat31 10:07 AM 01-08-2016
I actually had to change my policies to state that you must be here in time to get your kid dressed to leave and be off my property BEFORE closing time or I will charge the late fee.

Getting here AT closing time and then spending an additional 15-20 minutes wasting my personal time does not sit well with me. I want to go home AT 5:01PM not a single minute later.
childcaremom 10:10 AM 01-08-2016
I actually had to change my policies to state that you must be here in time to get your kid dressed to leave and be off my property BEFORE closing time or I will charge the late fee.

Getting here AT closing time and then spending an additional 15-20 minutes wasting my personal time does not sit well with me. I want to go home AT 5:01PM not a single minute later.
We must have posted at the same time.
Unregistered 11:44 AM 01-08-2016
I SOOOOO want to have the balls to do this! hahaha! I just feel too bad about it.
I do this! And then I go out behind them and start my car lol buhbye!
Cat Herder 12:18 PM 01-08-2016
Parents talking to ME in baby talk. I spend 50+ hours a week teaching kids communication and self help skills, they know you are condescending.

Parents telling me to kiss their kids goodbye (or the reverse). I cannot stand forced PDA. Don't do it to me OR your kid, it is disrespectful and invasive to both of us. I also spend a lot of time on disease prevention education. RSV risk is very real and still very deadly, parents.

All things manipulative (fear, obligation, guilt).
finsup 12:20 PM 01-08-2016
The drop off behavior. From parent and child. Child turns into a huge whiny baby and parent plays right into it. Had one showing up 15 minutes early to accommodate for this show so she could still be to work on time. I was just like seriously?! Honestly love them but this annoys me to no end.

The "preschool" discussion. Because all the work I've been putting into teaching your child means nothing without the official "preschool" sign outside my house. And despite that I have the same background/education as a public preschool teacher...its not the same since I'm working out of my home

The he threw up because something "didn't agree with him"... Yup, you're right, keep him home, period.

Oh and the "your kid/dck got mine sick." Yeah...it happens. Yours infects us too. No I will not keep them home, stop sending them to Sunday School, keep them away from other kids. Be a sahm if you want your child isolated in cold/flu season mine interact with others like it or not.

And of course the questioning of policies,payments etc.
Ariana 12:26 PM 01-08-2016

I swear I have to make a policy for everything!! This family has been a sore spot for me ever since they started to be honest. It's one of those "pick your battles" situations at the moment. Very annoying.
DaveA 12:30 PM 01-08-2016
DCPs not remembering things after multiple notes home and conversations at drop off/ pick up. If I say something reminding you I'm closed tomorrow and you look at me panicked and shocked, I'm not even going to pretend to be polite about it.
Nisaryn 11:47 PM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by nannyde:

My "novel"
I love your book! I only just got it about 2 weeks ago and I was crying from laughter....and shaking my head with the grief I've already had to deal with.
Tags:parents - don't cooperate, peeve
Reply Up