Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teacher Turned Provider?
lovethosetots 06:50 PM 01-09-2017
Hi all,

I am a part time teacher and mom of 3 kids under 5. I'm considering quitting my teaching job and opening a home daycare. I'm thinking this would provide me with more income while letting me stay home with my kids and might be less stressful than my current job. What do you all think? Is this a dumb move? Honest answers please!
Michael 06:57 PM 01-09-2017
Welcome to the forum. The forum is busier during the day and you should get some replies tomorrow.
Unregistered 07:11 PM 01-09-2017
I quit my position as a preschool center director to help my sister open and run her family child care because she wanted to stay home with her children. Honesty I made more as a director and didn't have to worry about health insurance, etc, but it was more stressful and I worked long hours and was on call 24/7. The one thing I enjoy being my own boss is being able to set our own hours, flexibility working from home, and running our program how we want (but still within licensing regulations). However, every one is different and have different needs so if you are able to try it out for a year financially I say go for it.
Blackcat31 07:14 PM 01-09-2017
Originally Posted by lovethosetots:
Hi all,

I am a part time teacher and mom of 3 kids under 5. I'm considering quitting my teaching job and opening a home daycare. I'm thinking this would provide me with more income while letting me stay home with my kids and might be less stressful than my current job. What do you all think? Is this a dumb move? Honest answers please!
Depends.
Read a few threads.
Any really; just pick a couple that look interesting.
There is an entire thread devoted to BOTH vents and to good things that happen everyday.
This business is what YOU make of it.
It's a common need/service but it's different for everyone.
Ariana 07:44 PM 01-09-2017
Oh goodness no! I only do it because I want to stay home with my child and I take kids in for socialization. I do this part time and it is so very stressful even at 2-3 days a week. The parents are the main source of stress and their denial of problems.

I am hoping once my own child goes to school it won't be as stressful and everyone has told me so. If it turns out to be more stressful I will return to working in a centre. I need a break. I like being my own boss but that carries a huge stress in and of itself.
MarinaVanessa 09:57 PM 01-09-2017
It all depends on you really.
What's your goal?
What do you hope to accomplish by running your own daycare?
Do you like kids?
Are you a flexible person?
Are you patient?
Are you looking to make more money than you currently do?

I think a lot of people have misconceptions about doing daycare in their homes (both good and bad). For me it's completely worthwhile and I love it. The fact that I get to stay home with my kids is a bonus. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. If I became a rich millionaire I'd still do daycare .
LysesKids 04:23 AM 01-10-2017
Hi all,

There is good & bad with this career lol... most stressful is dealing with parents that don't want to follow policies or losing half your income at one time because people up and quit no notice. Best part is the love I get from my littles (I'm an infant only provider)

One thing you have to remember is that licensing rules limit how many kids you can take (varies by state) and with your 3 being 5 or under there is a good chance that they will be counted for 3 of the spaces... if you live in a state that only allows 6 kids at anytime, you could only take 3 others; can you live off that income? Just food for thought.

BTW, my younger kids grew up in my childcare, now I am an empty nester ( widowed 18 years ago).
childcaremom 05:00 AM 01-10-2017
I would suggest asking yourself a few questions, in addition to the ones mentioned.

1. Do you have another income (besides your own)? As others have said, the income can fluctuate in this job.

2. What are your end goals? Do you want to do this just while your kids are young and home? Do you want to go back to teaching eventually? Do you plan to make this a permanent career change?

3. What are the benefits of your current position? What are the cons? Can you make a list of the imagined pros/cons of home daycare?

4. What are the stressors in your current job? What do you think the stressors are in home daycare?

As Black cat suggested, read a few threads. It will give you an idea of some of the issues that come up for other providers.

If you decide to go ahead, stick around as this board and the providers here have been the biggest benefit to me.
daycarediva 05:04 AM 01-10-2017
From a financial perspective, it's all about the childcare market in your area. What the market is like, current rates, demand, and what parents are seeking vs what you offer.

For instance, in my area, basic childcare wouldn't be in high demand. The area is saturated with SAHM's offering legal/illegal care and licensed providers doing basic care/no extras. I had to stand out to be as successful as I am. Thankfully, I found that niche market in my area and do well.

Next- what is licensing like. Here you would have to count all three of your kids, so you could only care for an additional 3 kids. I would make MAYBE 450-600/week here doing that. BEFORE expenses (taxes, insurance, food/supplies)

The hours are long, depending on the market. I started at 6-6 and have gradually cut back to 8-5:00/15
jenboo 06:19 AM 01-10-2017
The first thing i would look into is licensing. In my state, my own kids count so depending ages, i could only watch 2-3 more kids...which would not provide much income after taxes, supplies, etc.
MyAngels 06:35 AM 01-10-2017
Lots of good advice above. If the location in your post is correct (Illinois) you are going to be limited as to the number of kids you can have as your own children count against the total allowed which will affect your bottom line. See: https://www.illinois.gov/dcfs/aboutu.../Rules_406.pdf

These are the rules for regular daycare homes, not large group homes (they have different rules). Section 406.13 outlines the various limitations.
Cat Herder 10:12 AM 01-10-2017
The bad:

The vast majority close within 2 years. With loads of debt from mandatory start up, regulatory, self employment taxes, training and licensing fees.

There is no medical, dental, disability or retirement barring out of pocket plan$. Income is highly variable for first few years until you establish a solid reputation.

Group child care and teaching are not the same thing. From master to servant, you go. Parenting and group childcare are not remotely the same thing.

It is hard to go back to work after an employment gap. Employers assume something is "off" with you.

The ugly:

When you make a typical parenting fail, you can be criminalized for it. We are held to a different standard and your family and future can be ruined by someone with simple hurt feelings.

Daycare providers own kids are historically the most difficult kids in your home. They will resent the other kids and act out accordingly when they are done with them, everyday. Other parents will resent your kids presence there and look for favoritism.

We have a high divorce rate in the first few years of operating as our spouses do not agree they should have to take on extra burdens because we chose to work from home. The kicker: they will be right. Sounds easy now, wait until month 3, then read that sentence again. (hint: it will make you angry at me for saying it)

The best:

I will never regret watching my kids grow up at home. They are now grown and moving on with young adulthood.

My marriage and family are strong and I am grateful for the opportunity and success I found in this ever changing field.
Controlled Chaos 10:30 AM 01-10-2017
I used to teach middle school.

I work the same number of hours roughly a day, but after 5 years - I now make more money.

I think being a former teacher is a plus for me with daycare families and I can charge a little more due to it.

Is being home all day with your kids worth losing summers off and those nice long spring and winter breaks?

What is the market like in your area? Finding a niche is important.

Lots of good advice above -
Snowmom 10:41 AM 01-10-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The bad:

The vast majority close within 2 years. With loads of debt from mandatory start up, regulatory, self employment taxes, training and licensing fees.

There is no medical, dental, disability or retirement barring out of pocket plan$. Income is highly variable for first few years until you establish a solid reputation.

Group child care and teaching are not the same thing. From master to servant, you go. Parenting and group childcare are not remotely the same thing.

It is hard to go back to work after an employment gap. Employers assume something is "off" with you.

The ugly:

When you make a typical parenting fail, you can be criminalized for it. We are held to a different standard and your family and future can be ruined by someone with simple hurt feelings.

Daycare providers own kids are historically the most difficult kids in your home. They will resent the other kids and act out accordingly when they are done with them, everyday. Other parents will resent your kids presence there and look for favoritism.

We have a high divorce rate in the first few years of operating as our spouses do not agree they should have to take on extra burdens because we chose to work from home. The kicker: they will be right. Sounds easy now, wait until month 3, then read that sentence again. (hint: it will make you angry at me for saying it)

The best:

I will never regret watching my kids grow up at home. They are now grown and moving on with young adulthood.

My marriage and family are strong and I am grateful for the opportunity and success I found in this ever changing field.
100% Spot on.

It takes a special kind of personality to do this job long term.
It also changes you. Some good changes, some bad.
I used to love working with people. I still love working with children, but man, am I jaded now when it comes to adults!
Missjaime 05:43 PM 01-17-2017
I was a full time preschool teacher with the local school district when I decided to stay home with my kids and start my in home day care. I have gone through a lot of things previous posters have mentioned. The hardest for me has been how much my own kids resent the day care kids. Some days they barely leave their rooms. That said, when they were littler it was great. They had friends, everyone got along, I got to be home with them for their best and worst days. I didn't have to leave them with someone else while I went and worked, and that really felt great. Now, however, they are both school aged and I am missing some things. I can't easily take a day off for a field trip with them, for example. I can't drive them to school or pick them up. I work all their school breaks, so we don't really get to spend the time I used to spend when I was teaching. I have done this for 4 years and am fairly successful (I am full, I have a good reputation and a waiting list, plus I have lucked into a group of great parents), but I am seriously considering returning to teaching. Now that they are big, I find myself hating changing diapers and all the stuff that goes with dealing with very small ones. I'm ready to move on. As far as re-joining the workforce, I am actually ok with putting owner/operator of a successful small business on my resume.
Oh, plus, if two kids dropped for any reason and I had trouble filling their spots, I would be ruined. I am looking forward to the idea of a regular paycheck and not having to track my every expense!
Lots of things to consider, many pluses and minuses. It was perfect for our family for the last many years, it might be great for you too.
nannyde 04:19 AM 01-18-2017
Are you an actual teacher with a degree and are certified in your state or are you a "teacher" in a child care?

I'm assuming a real teacher....

Check your numbers with your own kids added in. In Iowa you would only be able to have a couple of more kids until your kid went to Kindy.

Starting daycare so you can be with your own kids is extremely common. Usually happens when Thing 2 is on it's way or born. You considering it with Thing 3 is a bit unusual but does happen. Does Thing 1 go to Kindy yet?

Remember you have to deal with transportation when the oldest starts school. That was a tough one for me until he was old enough to walk four blocks to school.

If you are part time and paying daycare for three then you could make more money. The write offs could really help you at tax time.

The start up cost should be minimal since you can use a lot of your junk from your three kids.

Be careful of advertising a school daycare. The expectation will be HIGH and the work will be a ton more than just offering care.

The chance of failure is very high especially with such young kids of your own but you can do it.

My best piece of advice is to NEVER believe that your experience taking care of your own kids will help you in ANY way caring for others. They have precious little in common. Taking care of other people's children is completely different than caring for your own. Your own kids can get hurt and as long as you don't do something horribly negligent or intentional with them you will have little consequence.

A head bump to a toy bin of a daycare kid could cost you thousands in medical care and the involvement of the state and police. Daycare kids can't get hurt. They have to be supervised at a level you don't even realize exists. You have to retrain your brain... you can't think they SHOULD be able to do xyz cuz your kids do... you have to think of it as "my whole world could come collapsing down on me if they get hurt"

Then there's the parents...

I have a parent behavior book that you can take a look at. A few chapters of the book are on my blog here.

Click the link below in my siggy if you want a tutorial on parental behavior.
Play Care 04:47 AM 01-18-2017
Personally if I was a "real" teacher in my state (which requires a Master's degree and additional certifications) I wouldn't be able to afford leaving to start an in home. Teachers in my area are paid much better than in home caregivers and have pension, benefits, a lot of time off, etc.
Yes, they have a lot of crud to deal with, but that's true of any job. No way would I give up my summers off, all the vacations and holidays to work 60+ hour weeks with maybe two weeks off a year...

Now, if I was a center teacher, it would be more doable. Most centers pay their teachers $11 or $12 an hour to start.
nannyde 03:15 PM 01-18-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Personally if I was a "real" teacher in my state (which requires a Master's degree and additional certifications) I wouldn't be able to afford leaving to start an in home. Teachers in my area are paid much better than in home caregivers and have pension, benefits, a lot of time off, etc.
Yes, they have a lot of crud to deal with, but that's true of any job. No way would I give up my summers off, all the vacations and holidays to work 60+ hour weeks with maybe two weeks off a year...

Now, if I was a center teacher, it would be more doable. Most centers pay their teachers $11 or $12 an hour to start.
You have to have a masters degree to teach in public schools in your state?
Play Care 03:37 PM 01-18-2017
Originally Posted by nannyde:
You have to have a masters degree to teach in public schools in your state?
Yes ma'am.
Our state also has some of the highest teacher's salaries.
Mom2Two 06:03 PM 01-18-2017
I was thinking it might make a difference how much you like parent/teacher conference. We see parents twice a day and discuss their children all the time. Of course it's usually just good news thank goodness!
Heyteacher 11:12 PM 10-24-2021
Hi all,

So what happened??? I’m in a similar situation and I’d like to know what happened with your decision…. Thanks
Michael 10:46 AM 10-26-2021
Welcome to the forum, we’ve moved it here: https://forum.daycare.com/
Tags:daycare environment, rates, teacher pay
Reply Up