Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gardening with Kids
dolores 10:45 AM 02-23-2021
This year I want to try gardening with the kids (2yo-5yo). What low maintenance fruit/vegetable have you successfully grown in a shady (most of the day) area in the spring/summer? What months do you plant?
Cat Herder 11:35 AM 02-23-2021
You may want to research shade gardens for your zone.

We do vegetable gardens every year, but they require full sun most of the day.
284878 12:04 PM 02-24-2021
Any veggies that grows in ground will do well in shade.

Carrots would be great because you could wash them off and eat them outside. You can also start them in April and they can stay in the ground into the fall.

I did a garden last year for the first time and did tomato, carrots, potatoes, cucumber, watermelon and some berries. The berries didn't make it. I was late getting the watermelon did not ripe but the rest did great, better than I expected.

Going to try again this year.
grandmom 03:28 PM 02-24-2021
Consider an hydroponics set up? I've heard great things about Moistenland and AreoGarden
mooseriot 10:16 AM 04-18-2021
I’m in South Florida my zone is 10a there are a bunch of great websites that organize what you can plant by month. Here’s the one I use for my garden. My kids have helped me plant herbs, plants and trees they love it! https://www.gardenate.com/?month=5
JoanPiper 11:22 AM 04-18-2021
Gardening with children is wonderful. With the family, we plant seeds in the spring, the children love this activity!
Snowmom 01:14 PM 04-18-2021
I know this thread is a bit old but I thought I'd share what I'm doing.

Both Target (dollar spot) and 5 Below have little herb and flower kits for around $1/piece. They come in their own cute little pot to take home. We're going to start a "dirt" unit, and grow from seeds with these.

The kids and I do usually start strawberries, tomato plants and herbs here. But they always stay here. I thought it might be fun for them to actually take home this year.
Unregistered 03:04 PM 04-18-2021
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I know this thread is a bit old but I thought I'd share what I'm doing.

Both Target (dollar spot) and 5 Below have little herb and flower kits for around $1/piece. They come in their own cute little pot to take home. We're going to start a "dirt" unit, and grow from seeds with these.

The kids and I do usually start strawberries, tomato plants and herbs here. But they always stay here. I thought it might be fun for them to actually take home this year.
YES!! I did this with the cheap dollar tree ones! the kids had a blast starting them and we then planted the veggies in our lovely above ground planters. The kids got to take home the dollar tree flowes we planted
Josiegirl 12:35 PM 04-19-2021
Green beans were always popular because they're pretty easy to grow and those were the seeds they'd plant individually to take home. Either those or seeds for Mother's Day flowers. Pumpkins were a favorite because, well they grow into pumpkins. And because cherry tomatoes were a popular 'pick off and eat' item, they loved growing those.

I know these aren't garden plants but has anyone ever thought of making a small worm farm? We did it one summer and the dcks loved it!

Oops, just reread and saw where the original question asked about shady gardening.
Tags:gardening, gardening - beans, gardening - rhubarb, gardening - tomato, gardening - veggie, growing beans
Reply Up