Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Raspy/Wet Breathing--Would You Ask For a Note?
Pestle 01:18 PM 04-09-2021
I have a 4mo who just started and whose breathing is ALWAYS soggy/labored/rattling. The parents say it's just allergies. For liability's sake, would you ask for a doctor's note supporting this, to go with the child's records?

Also, this baby doesn't latch--is on formula because inability to breastfeed dried up the supply. Just because there can be structural reasons behind both the sticky-sounding breathing and the lack of latch, it makes me a little more concerned.

State regs require an infant touch check every 15 minutes when napping and I've always hated that because some kids sleep too lightly to tolerate it, but with this kid I feel like I need to check every 5.
PB&J 03:25 PM 04-09-2021
I would absolutely do so. You’re entrusted with this baby’s care for a significant amount of time. You have years of experience that tells you this is not normal. I would definitely ask for a very detailed diagnosis and treatment plan.
e.j. 03:45 PM 04-09-2021
Originally Posted by PB&J:
I would absolutely do so. You’re entrusted with this baby’s care for a significant amount of time. You have years of experience that tells you this is not normal. I would definitely ask for a very detailed diagnosis and treatment plan.
I agree. Any time a child in my care is diagnosed with an allergy, I'm required to have an "action plan" on file that outlines what the allergy entails and what action to take in an emergency.
Snowmom 05:43 PM 04-11-2021
Absolutely.

Any parent that says a child has allergies of any kind- it must be documented by a licensed professional with an allergy plan on file. It must state what the allergy is, how it is controlled, what symptoms are, what medications the child is taking to control it and how often it's needed (although they must administer AT HOME unless it's life saving meds like an inhaler or epi).

However, 4 months old is very young to have diagnosed allergies imho. I'm going to call BS on that one.
I think your instincts are right to have a diagnosis on file.
Tags:allergic, doctor's note
Reply Up