Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Raising Rate- I Messed Up :|
Pandaluver21 01:52 PM 04-10-2021
So I went to re-calculate tuition for the 2021/2022 school year and realized I completely messed up this year. I calculated days wrong and parents go almost an entire month free. They currently pay $320/month (4 days a week for for hours in the morning)
If I had calculated correctly, they would be paying an additional $316 for the year (so about a month's worth)
Parents don't know I made this mistake, they are just happy to be getting a good deal. Even if I raised it, they would still be getting a great deal, but I feel like a $26/month jump next year is a bit much. I was thinking of doing a $15/month increase this year and another $15/month next year. What do you guys think?
Blackcat31 02:42 PM 04-10-2021
When did the new rates go into effect?

Either way I’d just tell parents that you did the math wrong and their new rate should be $xxx
Blame it on COVID brain fog.... lol!

I wouldn’t short change yourself by graduating into the new rate. I’d just do it. They’re getting a good deal either way.
Pandaluver21 03:12 PM 04-10-2021
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Either way I’d just tell parents that you did the math wrong and their new rate should be $xxx

I wouldn’t short change yourself by graduating into the new rate. I’d just do it. They’re getting a good deal either way.
They will go into effect June 1st if they will be attending for the summer, or August 16th if they are attending school year only.

I don't think anyone would leave over it, but still feels like a huge jump! I'm not actually raising the rate at all, but will definitely seem like it
Pandaluver21 03:39 PM 04-10-2021

They will go into effect June 1st if they will be attending for the summer, or August 16th if they are attending school year only.

I don't think anyone would leave over it, but still feels like a huge jump! I'm not actually raising the rate at all, but will definitely seem like it

Also- Do you think it's worth mentioning that I miscalculated and they got a month free, or do you think I should just raise it and not worry about it.
Blackcat31 04:12 PM 04-10-2021
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
Do you think I should just raise it and not worry about it.
I would just make the correction and not worry about it.
This profession makes us care so much sometimes but in reality, it’s business.
Correct the mistake and leave it be.
None of your clients will probably even care.
Pandaluver21 05:07 PM 04-10-2021
I would just make the correction and not worry about it.
This profession makes us care so much sometimes but in reality, it’s business.
Correct the mistake and leave it be.
None of your clients will probably even care.
I mean, I do care... but mostly I want to say "You got almost a full month free last year, don't complain"

I also realized, I may be thinking as a poor person. To me $26 is a lot of money each month... but for most people it's probably not that big of a deal :P
Josiegirl 03:03 AM 04-11-2021
I agree with BC. Otherwise, that difference in $ will be forever on your mind and cause you mental stress. If you do it gradually, your brain will keep ticking off how much $ you've shorted yourself; if you do it effective 6/1, your brain will accept last years goof quicker and go forward. (at least, that's how I can see myself feeling)
If your dcfs are happy with you, then please try not to stress about it.
Annalee 06:24 AM 04-11-2021
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I agree with BC. Otherwise, that difference in $ will be forever on your mind and cause you mental stress. If you do it gradually, your brain will keep ticking off how much $ you've shorted yourself; if you do it effective 6/1, your brain will accept last years goof quicker and go forward. (at least, that's how I can see myself feeling)
If your dcfs are happy with you, then please try not to stress about it.
I agree with Josie! similarly, I have been keeping my great-niece since she was born a couple days a week, sometimes less, since my niece has been at home working mostly since the child was born. However, my niece has had another baby this year, so she started them both this past week full-time even though she's still at home working. I 'thought' I could do this for 'free' but after a week with two littles and her attempting to leave them more than she needed and hang around during dropoff/pickup and myself keeping thinking in my head 'she's not paying and these kids take work', I just went to her house yesterday and talked with her and she will now be paying. Our relationship has always been great so it wasn't that bad but it did stress me to discuss this with her. She had offered to pay beforehand but me being the kind AUNT I am said NO

Bottom line: this is a business!!!!!

Anyway, I agree, mistakes with money will stick in our head....so fix the issue immediately. You will be glad you did!

Disclaimer: I LOVE my little great-nieces to infinity and beyond, but love does not pay the bills! Plus love does not teach accountability to the young millennials. My niece despises the word millennials but it is what it is.....she is one.
Annalee 06:31 AM 04-11-2021
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
I mean, I do care... but mostly I want to say "You got almost a full month free last year, don't complain"

I also realized, I may be thinking as a poor person. To me $26 is a lot of money each month... but for most people it's probably not that big of a deal :P
Absolutely and when you add that $26 times so many kids, it’s a big chunk of money.
racemom 08:05 PM 04-11-2021
I would round it up to $30 increase, to help recoup some you lost this year. I don't think that is too much, when you break it down it's only about $7 a week.
Cat Herder 03:37 AM 04-12-2021
Originally Posted by racemom:
I would round it up to $30 increase, to help recoup some you lost this year. I don't think that is too much, when you break it down it's only about $7 a week.
This.

A nice round number and less stress for you.
Pandaluver21 12:25 PM 04-12-2021
Originally Posted by racemom:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
This.

A nice round number and less stress for you.
I did round it, but I rounded it to 25 :P Intended to sent home re-enrollment letters today... they are in their folders... just forgot to put their folders in their backpacks
A friend I asked did point out that it's only $6-7 a week and that did help bring it into perspective!
rosieteddy 12:36 PM 04-12-2021
I always stressed out about money too. Then you realize just exactly what your giving them. I would have rounded up to 30. Then if questioned I would quote the daily increase .
Pandaluver21 07:10 PM 04-15-2021
Sent home letters. Families had until April 19th to return. All but one returned the next day, and the last returned it today. All signed and staying for next year Guess I need to stop over thinking things
Tags:rate increase
Reply Up