Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interviews and Scheduling
finsup 10:55 AM 03-13-2016
What to do...
Two interested families, nearly identical in terms of age, drop off/pick up times etc. Either sounds like a good fit. Both parents very nice in our conversation so far. Both have read and agreed to policies. Both quoted at the same payment amount that they were (happily?! ...that doesn't happen often) willing to pay. Here's the problem. Family one has an interview Thursday. They set this up with me yesterday. Family two wants to come by Monday. *but* family 2 needs Childcare starting the 21st. If I say "well I can't let you know until Friday" I'd be willing to bet they choose someone else in order to have care lined up for the 21st. Family 2 will start as soon as they find care/maybe 2 weeks if they need to give notice (they're moving to this area and commuting for the time being but they do have care in place in their original town). I can't accept both or I'd be over ratio. But I'd like to interview both in case one declines. How would you handle this?
Thriftylady 11:54 AM 03-13-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
What to do...
Two interested families, nearly identical in terms of age, drop off/pick up times etc. Either sounds like a good fit. Both parents very nice in our conversation so far. Both have read and agreed to policies. Both quoted at the same payment amount that they were (happily?! ...that doesn't happen often) willing to pay. Here's the problem. Family one has an interview Thursday. They set this up with me yesterday. Family two wants to come by Monday. *but* family 2 needs Childcare starting the 21st. If I say "well I can't let you know until Friday" I'd be willing to bet they choose someone else in order to have care lined up for the 21st. Family 2 will start as soon as they find care/maybe 2 weeks if they need to give notice (they're moving to this area and commuting for the time being but they do have care in place in their original town). I can't accept both or I'd be over ratio. But I'd like to interview both in case one declines. How would you handle this?
I would interview both. I never promise a spot at the interview, I tell them I have others interested in the spot and will let them know. Until you do the interview, you won't know who will be the better match for the spot.
Alisyn 01:48 PM 03-13-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I would interview both. I never promise a spot at the interview, I tell them I have others interested in the spot and will let them know. Until you do the interview, you won't know who will be the better match for the spot.
This exactly
finsup 08:09 AM 03-14-2016
Yup, you guys are right. I'm doing one this afternoon, one Thursday and will just see how it goes. If it doesn't work for one family, then that's on them. I'm tempted to take both (if they're both a good fit) and replace one I have now who I've been having lots of sick "issues" (dose and drop, lying etc). That wasn't even a consideration until this morning...*sigh*
Thriftylady 08:32 AM 03-14-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
Yup, you guys are right. I'm doing one this afternoon, one Thursday and will just see how it goes. If it doesn't work for one family, then that's on them. I'm tempted to take both (if they're both a good fit) and replace one I have now who I've been having lots of sick "issues" (dose and drop, lying etc). That wasn't even a consideration until this morning...*sigh*
Well that could work, if it will make your days easier!
thrivingchildcarecom 10:12 AM 03-14-2016
I have had people say they wanted to sign up the very day they spoke to me on the phone, without even an interview. Can you imagine? I insist on the interview so that didn't happen, but can I tell you typically they didn't enroll.

Absolutely interview both! You will be able to get a better feel for the family at the interview. If one bows out, then they made the decision for you. Good luck!
Tags:interview - multiple
Reply Up