Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Attempt To Use My Backbone, Or Let This One Go??
Lilbutterflie 01:45 PM 02-21-2012
Hi everyone,

I struggle really hard with exersizing my backbone... but I have done it from time to time when I really needed to.

I sent home a daycare girl for a fever of 101. The fever was recorded at 9am and she was picked up at 10am. I discussed with the mom at pick up that my policy is that they remain home until fever free without fever medicine for a full 24 hours, which meant she would not be able to return the next day. I also discussed that my only exception to this rule was if it was an ear infection.

Mom texted me a bit ago, saying she took her child to the Dr. and ears were fine. She said Dr thinks it is a cold and to give her cold meds and tylenol as needed. She also said she gave her tylenol this morning after they got home and she has been acting fine. She said "I will bring tylenol tomorrow for her in case she needs it."

Ok... I already discussed with her that unless it was an ear infection, she needed to stay home tomorrow. She is assuming she can come to care, though. Since I recorded her temp only one hour after she had been dropped off; I can see where her mom would think she should be able to bring her child; especially if the Dr thinks it's just a cold. But I am wondering if she ever told the Dr she had a temp, since she gave her child tylenol right when they got home! However; my contract clearly states that if a child is sent home for a fever they may not return the next day. It also says that no doctor's note can overrule my contract.

Which way would y'all go on this?
bice99 01:52 PM 02-21-2012
She stays home - who knows what it is, but her little body is fighting something and you don't need it to spread through your daycare. Use that backbone. Who does that little girl want when she doesn't feel well? Who should snuggle her, read to her, feed her whatever she wants and love on her? Her mom. Not you. It's hard to have a backbone, but this is one that you can easily do. Just remind mom that you have a no fever policy and it applies to everyone. Tell her it's the state's regs.
Blackcat31 02:04 PM 02-21-2012
I agree. She stays home. You bend or give on this one and it will always be "just a little cold".

I do NOT dispense any OTC meds so if a child needs them to be comfortable and make it through the day, they need to be at home.

I like to make my mistakes on the side of caution so better safe than sorry.
saved4always 02:11 PM 02-21-2012
Definitely use your backbone here. It is in your rules so you need to make her abide by them, otherwise, she will take advantage every time her child is sick.
Cat Herder 02:15 PM 02-21-2012
24 hour fever free without the use of fever reducing meds.

Thursday at the earliest, here, if she was sent home today.

Here, I would not have sent her home unless the fever was sustained until 9:45, though. (30-45 minutes sustained to be a true fever by my training)
bunnyslippers 02:36 PM 02-21-2012
Do not let her come tomorrow.
bice99 02:39 PM 02-21-2012
I always call/text moms the night a child is sent home - to "see how sweet ***** is doing" and ask them to give me an update the following day. And that I hope they are all better and we get to see them again on "Thursday" or whatever day is 2 days away.
momofboys 03:02 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Hi everyone,

I struggle really hard with exersizing my backbone... but I have done it from time to time when I really needed to.

I sent home a daycare girl for a fever of 101. The fever was recorded at 9am and she was picked up at 10am. I discussed with the mom at pick up that my policy is that they remain home until fever free without fever medicine for a full 24 hours, which meant she would not be able to return the next day. I also discussed that my only exception to this rule was if it was an ear infection.

Mom texted me a bit ago, saying she took her child to the Dr. and ears were fine. She said Dr thinks it is a cold and to give her cold meds and tylenol as needed. She also said she gave her tylenol this morning after they got home and she has been acting fine. She said "I will bring tylenol tomorrow for her in case she needs it."

Ok... I already discussed with her that unless it was an ear infection, she needed to stay home tomorrow. She is assuming she can come to care, though. Since I recorded her temp only one hour after she had been dropped off; I can see where her mom would think she should be able to bring her child; especially if the Dr thinks it's just a cold. But I am wondering if she ever told the Dr she had a temp, since she gave her child tylenol right when they got home! However; my contract clearly states that if a child is sent home for a fever they may not return the next day. It also says that no doctor's note can overrule my contract.

Which way would y'all go on this?
I'd text back & state that per your regs DCG can not attend until Thurs since she had a fever this AM. Good luck!
daycare 03:07 PM 02-21-2012
trust me when I tell you that I am the mistake queen.....Queen of mistakes

I would not allow for it. Do your best to enforce your rules.

My line is: You know Sally, I take such great pride in the fact that our daycare has never had any serious illnesses and the only way that I can keep it this way,is for you to keep little Susie home until she is fever free and well enough again to participate. Thanks so much in helping me to keep our daycare illness free, I really appreciate it.

I have never had a parent argue me on it, because they know that I am right.

Once you put your foot down with this mom, it will get easier and easier..
Lilbutterflie 03:20 PM 02-21-2012
Thanks everyone. I guess I just needed the reassurance b/c I knew the mom was not going to like it. I've been there in her shoes before; I understand the Dr saying it's just a cold and the daycare saying the child must stay home. So I understood her point of view.

But I also know my point of view and my policies. And to let her bring her child tomorrow may possibly expose everyone else and my own kids to any number of viruses that it could be. I can't take that risk. And this is the first time I've had to impose the 24 hr fever rule with this mom; this is her first child and first daycare experience. So I know if I let her slide on this one she would start questioning all of my policies.

I told the mom that her child must stay home at the very least tomorrow; perhaps longer if the fever continues into tomorrow. I will check in tomorrow to see if the fever came back, but I get a feeling the tylenol will be given all day to mask it; so of course the answer will be "My child has not had a fever since we left. I gave tylenol and little suzie is acting just fine!"
daycare 03:36 PM 02-21-2012
Thanks everyone. I guess I just needed the reassurance b/c I knew the mom was not going to like it. I've been there in her shoes before; I understand the Dr saying it's just a cold and the daycare saying the child must stay home. So I understood her point of view.

But I also know my point of view and my policies. And to let her bring her child tomorrow may possibly expose everyone else and my own kids to any number of viruses that it could be. I can't take that risk. And this is the first time I've had to impose the 24 hr fever rule with this mom; this is her first child and first daycare experience. So I know if I let her slide on this one she would start questioning all of my policies.

I told the mom that her child must stay home at the very least tomorrow; perhaps longer if the fever continues into tomorrow. I will check in tomorrow to see if the fever came back, but I get a feeling the tylenol will be given all day to mask it; so of course the answer will be "My child has not had a fever since we left. I gave tylenol and little suzie is acting just fine!"
you should add the words that a child may return when free of fever without the aid of medication.....
Lilbutterflie 04:02 PM 02-21-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
you should add the words that a child may return when free of fever without the aid of medication.....
Oh yes, that's what it says. I always go over my illness policy thoroughly during my interviews, and the illness policy in my contract is almost a page long!! LOL

That's why it kind of upsets me that she even assumed she could take her child here tomorrow... especially since I had just explained to her that if it wasn't an ear infection, she needed to stay home!

And her comment that "I gave her tylenol when we got home and now she is acting fine" made me chuckle too. Of course she is acting fine on tylenol! She doesn't have a fever now b/c the tylenol got rid of it!
daycare 04:17 PM 02-21-2012
Oh yes, that's what it says. I always go over my illness policy thoroughly during my interviews, and the illness policy in my contract is almost a page long!! LOL

That's why it kind of upsets me that she even assumed she could take her child here tomorrow... especially since I had just explained to her that if it wasn't an ear infection, she needed to stay home!

And her comment that "I gave her tylenol when we got home and now she is acting fine" made me chuckle too. Of course she is acting fine on tylenol! She doesn't have a fever now b/c the tylenol got rid of it!
sorry not trying to tell you what to do, but dont make any exceptions.

If your policy says no fever, then its no fever.... How do you know if its not something else? I don't think that the parents are always honest with us about everything, even the good ones. They may tell us oh yet it is an ear infection and have proof, but not tell us that the child also has another virus, like step throat or something....
saved4always 06:06 PM 02-21-2012

Isn't that what tylenol is supposed to do? Make you feel better? I am amazed how some usually intelligent parents act so ignorant about the contagiousness of viruses and that tylenol does not "cure" anything!
saved4always 06:11 PM 02-21-2012
Oh...and I have to wonder about the doctor. I don't think my doctor ever says my child "just has a cold". He will test her for strep (cuz she used to get it alot) and, if it is negative, he will say what she has is a virus, meaning antibiotics will not help. He never infers that it is not contagious when she has a virus. Of course, I also disclose ALL of her symptoms to the dr., including fever, because I want a true diagnosis. This mom probably just wanted her note to get back to day care so she glossed over the symptoms and was not concerned about a true dx.
Texasjeepgirl 11:47 AM 02-24-2012
Ok.. I was HOPING someone else would ask the question...but no one did...
so now I have to be the dummy to ask..
Why do you specificy.. that the exception to your fever rule is.. UNLESS THEY HAVE AN EAR INFECTION???

My understanding is that ear infections can actually be contagious too.. please correct me if I'm mistaken...
but.. either way.. why would you specify that? I don't offer any exceptions... but... I had a situation last year..
It took me days to get my backbone.. which I normally don't have too much trouble doing..

DCB came in Monday.. seemed fine... but.. woke from nap with 102 temp...
I messaged mom...then also messaged dad...(they are divorced)... no one replied to message until almost time for kid to be picked up by dad...
so when he arrives I say.. I sent message.. he woke with temp of 102..
Next day... grandmother delivers the kid...(how convenient..).. I say to her..... ?? I didn't expect to see him... left here yesterday running temp.. she says.. oh.. I had no idea... (BULL)... He was with me all evening.. and was totally fine.. so I say.. ok.. fine.. I'll scream if I need anyone...
Guess what.. makes it all day.. wakes up from nap.. FEVER... I message again.. mom picks him up...next day guess what.. he arrives for care AGAIN.. I'm like hey.. left here with fever.. blah blah.. she says.. oh.. he never had fever all evening.. was totally fine.. I just stood there looking at her.. she says.. I swear.. he was great... I said.. ok.. you know what.. fine... if he runs fever again today.. he is OUT...NO RETURN.. well guess what..
fever higher than ever...
mom ends up picking him up..and I say.. he can NOT return tomorrow..
Well.. next morning.. early.. BEFORE my opening time..
(anytime the dad has the kid...he must make special arrangements to bring at 6:30..due to his work schedule.. doesn't happen often ...and I always allow it with request..)..
anyway... 6 a.m.. I get text... dcb was fine all night.. never ran fever.. can we see you at 6:30?
I send text back..
absolutley NOT..
then I go through it... day by day.. Monday.. left here with fever.. Tuesday.. grandmother delivers..I allow.. Tuesday.. leaves with fever... Wednesday mom delivers... I allow.. definetly should not have..but.. I did... and.. again..that 3rd day.. kid left with really high fever...and I specifically told the mom.. do not return him here tomorrow.. period..
of course dad sends text back.. apologizes...claims the mom did not tell him.. which.. she probably did not since they are divorced and don't get along.. but whatever..
I had no backbone for 2 days...but I found it that morning...
lol...

Lilbutterflie 12:40 PM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
Ok.. I was HOPING someone else would ask the question...but no one did...
so now I have to be the dummy to ask..
Why do you specificy.. that the exception to your fever rule is.. UNLESS THEY HAVE AN EAR INFECTION???

My understanding is that ear infections can actually be contagious too.. please correct me if I'm mistaken...
I have always been told by my own child's pediatrician that ear infections themselves are not contagious; but the cold virus they most likely had that caused the infection is. Maybe I'm wrong?

I don't have this exception in my contract; it's just an exception that I typically make (on a case by case basis) b/c I understand that ear infections can cause a fever; and I feel bad about making them stay home the next day since I believe that ear infections are not contagious. I have been a working mom taking my children to daycare; and the previous daycare that we used made this exception, too. I don't see the need to keep a child home, as long as they are feeling better; when they are most likely not contagious. I feel confident in saying this b/c it is usually the cold virus that causes ear infections in children. And I don't exclude for the cold virus.

Anyway, as an update... turns out DCG got her very first tooth the day I told her to stay home. Her fever was 101 when I sent her home; so there starts the whole debate on teething and fevers! DCPs are convinced she had the fever b/c the tooth was breaking through.
CheekyChick 12:48 PM 02-24-2012
This is a tough one. On one hand, your policy states she has to be fever-free for 24 hours which means she could drop her off at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow. BUT, if she is being pumped with Tylenol - you really won't know when her fever officially ended.

In this instance, I would e-mail her and tell her that she is welcome to come back when she is fever-free for 24 hours WITHOUT the use of Tylenol.
renodeb 12:49 PM 02-24-2012
It doesnt matter if it is a cold or not. A fever is a fever no matter what. She needs to stay home. If mom has to send tylenol in with her then there is a good she stilll wouldnt be felling good. remember your house your rules! Good luck!
Debbie
Tags:backbone
Reply Up