Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can’t Even Have a Day Off.....
mrsp'slilpeeps 08:40 PM 02-15-2013
I took today off so I could go to the chiropractor, Get some supplements at the health food store, renew my RCMP clearance, and Child welfare check, and basically have a day to myself.

The first day off I have had since November and that was because my appendix burst!!

All the parents have had notice since January 1, 2013. I am closed!!!

DCM #1- where are you, i've been here ringing your door bell for the last 10 min??

Umm I reminded you last night after you said see you tomorrow, that I took the day off.

DCM- oh yeah, sorry.

DCD#1- text's me and asks if I have a pair of mitts that his son could borrow?

Um no I dont, and Im not home, Im at the doctor right now.
DCD- lol ok no problem.

DCD #1's wife- oh hi change of plans, the kids cant come on thursday, Can they come Friday?

I have 6 kids that day plus my own because it's a PD day.

Um NO, I dont have any room for them.

DCM- Oh Ok, Just have a funeral to go to, Im sure I will find a place to take them.

What Part of "Daycare is CLOSED" do these people not get?

Leave me alone and deal with your own children for the day for F sakes.
SilverSabre25 08:44 PM 02-15-2013
Hope you got all your errands taken care of!

How frustrating that those dopes wouldn't leave you be. I had a similar experience today. DCM is out of town this weekend. DCD asked if I could keep DCB for "a couple hours" tomorrow AM so that dcd can "work on his truck."

Um, no. Parent your child. The part of our contract where I was obligated to say yes to dcb on Saturdays is no longer valid, since we agreed that there was a permanent schedule change in place earlier this year. Ergo, No.
mrsp'slilpeeps 08:49 PM 02-15-2013
I just found it very rude.

I dont bother them when their child/children are not here.

I think the next time I wont answer anyone until it's time to open.

Jerks!!
rmc20021 09:01 PM 02-15-2013
I had the same thing...told everyone several times I was not having kids one day. I had a court appointment and had decided to just take the entire day off. The only time I have my aid come in is for a couple hours here and there during nap time and since I wanted the whole day I just decided to close completely.

Told the parents plenty of time in advance and I had one mom show up with child in tow at 6 am (thought I was going to get to sleep in that day and ended up going to the door in my pj's as the dog was going nuts). Then, that evening I had a dcd show up asking ME where his child was...uhhhh, didn't your wife tell you where she was taking him this morning??? NO, he is NOT here, I told everyone I was not having kids that day.

They just DON'T get it...so now, I have it posted in huge letters on my front door all the days I have planned which I will be closed. If a day comes up I plan to close, I will verbally inform parents as well as post it in huge letters on my front door. MAYBE, when they see it while they're standing their knocking away and the dog is going crazy, they will figure out I'M CLOSED!!!!

Funny thing is...we ordered pizza for dinner tonight. I have no advertising in front of my house...just the dates I'm closed on the front door. The guy actually asked me if it was for daycare. Within 30 minutes, I noticed he had gone to my daycare facebook page and liked it. Wasn't sure whether I should be honored, or freaked out...
Lucy 09:43 PM 02-15-2013
I get what you're saying. It would totally tick me off that people would have the nerve to bother me on my day off. The only time that would be acceptable is on a Sunday evening saying that their kid is running a temp and won't be there in the morning.

That being said, I have become VERY picky on what phone calls I answer. Caller ID is your best friend. If I don't recognize the phone number, or if I know it to be from someone to whom I don't want to talk at the moment, I let it go to voice mail. I have a button on the side of my phone that mutes the ringer for that call only. I look at who it is, and if I don't want to answer, I mute the ringer and wait for a voice mail. Sometimes they don't even leave one, which would tell me it must not have been very important. If they do leave one, I listen and then I decide if it's important.

Same principle for text messages. Texting is actually a better friend than caller ID in my opinion!! I can read it and decide if I want to answer now, or later tonight, or even tomorrow.

I used to feel like I was obligated to answer the phone. As if people would be mad at me if I didn't. Over the years I have decided that it's totally MY choice to answer or not. And I don't feel the least bit guilty about it.
MamaBearCanada 04:50 AM 02-16-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I get what you're saying. It would totally tick me off that people would have the nerve to bother me on my day off. The only time that would be acceptable is on a Sunday evening saying that their kid is running a temp and won't be there in the morning.

That being said, I have become VERY picky on what phone calls I answer. Caller ID is your best friend. If I don't recognize the phone number, or if I know it to be from someone to whom I don't want to talk at the moment, I let it go to voice mail. I have a button on the side of my phone that mutes the ringer for that call only. I look at who it is, and if I don't want to answer, I mute the ringer and wait for a voice mail. Sometimes they don't even leave one, which would tell me it must not have been very important. If they do leave one, I listen and then I decide if it's important.

Same principle for text messages. Texting is actually a better friend than caller ID in my opinion!! I can read it and decide if I want to answer now, or later tonight, or even tomorrow.

I used to feel like I was obligated to answer the phone. As if people would be mad at me if I didn't. Over the years I have decided that it's totally MY choice to answer or not. And I don't feel the least bit guilty about it.
This!

Post note on door - Daycare is closed
Text reply: This is an automated response: X daycare is closed. Ms X will get back to you at her earliest convenience.
Phone: X daycare is closed today (date). Please leave a message & I will get back to you at my earliest convenience.

When they call/text imagine you really can't answer right then - pretend you are in shower, driving, in court, in jail (joking) if it helps.
Blackcat31 05:51 AM 02-16-2013
Defintiely agree with Lucy and MamaBear!

Best thing I have ever done is to STOP answering any calls/texts that are work related after hours or on weekends.

Like Lucy said, Caller ID and texting have become my saviors for keeping the stress from work pretty much out of my personal life.

Parents can leave a message and/or text. I will then decide if the situation warrants a response or not. Any requests that I don't want to honor or agreee to, I simply ignore. (Parents know they MUST receive a reply from me for any changes to be ok).

I RARELY text or call anyone back on the weekends since it is MY time and just because someone else has chaos, an unexpected situation or a failure to plan appropriately is just NOT my problem.
Hunni Bee 06:36 AM 02-16-2013
Ugh...at my old job I'd get peppered with phone calls, texts and emails if I was off, came in late or left early.

Where is x's extra clothes, how do I do x, how much longer will you be...it was sooo rude. And I wasn't "on call" or anything to this job...they just felt like they owned me.
Reply Up