Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Out Door Time Because............
mrsp'slilpeeps 02:17 PM 03-12-2013
How do you explain to parents that we ALL could not go play outside because little suzzy has sparkly fashion boots, not real winter boots and her feet will get cold and wet.

These parents are expecting me to take their littles outside when its nice, but what do you do about the kids with out proper outerwear??

I have asked and asked for parents to bring proper wear, but they dont.
Evansmom 02:25 PM 03-12-2013
This must be so frustrating for you! Is there anyway for you to take everyone outside anyway and keep little Suzy on a shoveled porch or something?
Sunchimes 02:25 PM 03-12-2013
I hit garage sales and pick up cheap clothes and shoes. I got tired of asking and asking for things. It just isn't worth it to me. Around here, it's easy to find clothes for a quarter and shoes for 50¢. It just gives me more freedom and one less thing to worry about. I have accumulated a range of sizes of clothes, coats, and shoes and can meet just about any need. I'm a little weak on toddler boy clothes, but it will be ok.
bunnyslippers 02:27 PM 03-12-2013
I have had this problem, and I usually just tell the parents, collectively, that we are a group and if everyone isn't dressed and prepared, then no one can go out.
lovemykidstoo 02:28 PM 03-12-2013
I get the same thing. I either let the child stand by me on the cement or I let the child go and do what they want and when the parent gets mad because their pants are wet or their shoes are soiled I remind them that it is their choice not to send the appropriate item.
CedarCreek 02:29 PM 03-12-2013
This might be a little harsh but I would let them go out anyway and either let Susie ruin the boots or have her sit out and do a sitting activity. Like bring a coloring book out for her to do.

Then tell her parents either: oh, susie got her boots all wet today. She needs to bring the proper boots so we don't ruin her pretty ones

Or

Oh Susie had to sit out today while the other children played outside because she wasn't wearing the proper boots. I was sad for her that she couldn't participate.

Either way, chances are they will send the proper attire from now on.
just_peachy 02:29 PM 03-12-2013
This drives me nuts too. One DCG has the fanciest freakin' clothes, and the dad for whatever reason always dresses her in white when she comes over. I finally had to tell them that PLAY CLOTHES are more appropriate here, but she still sends her not-even-2 year old in crazy knee high boots! Srsly, the fashionista attitude she's instilling in her daughter is going to come back and bite her...

Another one of my DCGs always gets barkdust in her sparkly princess shoes she wears all the time.

I told her to help me to remind her mom that she needs play shoes for the park and bark dust. Her mom texted me this convo:

"DCG: Mom, I need shoes for dog barf.
DCM: You need shoes for what??
DCG: Kelsey says I need shoes to walk in the barf.
DCM:...
DCG: You know, the barf dust
DCM: OOOH you mean bark dust?"

That's what I get for expecting a 3 year old to deliver a message.

P.S. I think bark dust may be a regional term. What do you guys call it?
mema 02:32 PM 03-12-2013
I've had a dad take things home, not knowing they have a set there and a set here. I didn't see them take it and mom didn't know either, so they didn't make it back the next day. I didn't think to look for them because they should've never left. I had dcg just stay on the driveway and she informed mom when she was picked up that she couldn't go in the yard. That was the last time dad has ever brought anything home. By the time I realized dcg didn't have snowpants, it would've been too late to have them dropped off or her picked up and still get outside time. So I just did what our schools do. Don't have pants or boots, you stay on the sidewalk.
mrsp'slilpeeps 02:33 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
This might be a little harsh but I would let them go out anyway and either let Susie ruin the boots or have her sit out and do a sitting activity. Like bring a coloring book out for her to do.

Then tell her parents either: oh, susie got her boots all wet today. She needs to bring the proper boots so we don't ruin her pretty ones

Or

Oh Susie had to sit out today while the other children played outside because she wasn't wearing the proper boots. I was sad for her that she couldn't participate.

Oh I did. They were mad that her pretty boots were soaked, and her socks and jeans,

They just dont get it. My husband and I used to get used items but he feels that its not OUR job to make sure their kids are properly clothed.
mrsp'slilpeeps 02:35 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
This must be so frustrating for you! Is there anyway for you to take everyone outside anyway and keep little Suzy on a shoveled porch or something?
oh I could if I wanna listen to screaming.
CedarCreek 02:36 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:
This drives me nuts too. One DCG has the fanciest freakin' clothes, and the dad for whatever reason always dresses her in white when she comes over. I finally had to tell them that PLAY CLOTHES are more appropriate here, but she still sends her not-even-2 year old in crazy knee high boots! Srsly, the fashionista attitude she's instilling in her daughter is going to come back and bite her...

Another one of my DCGs always gets barkdust in her sparkly princess shoes she wears all the time.

I told her to help me to remind her mom that she needs play shoes for the park and bark dust. Her mom texted me this convo:

That's hilarious!

I think "bark dust" might be "mulch" or "rubber mulch"
CedarCreek 02:37 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
Oh I did. They were mad that her pretty boots were soaked, and her socks and jeans,

They just dont get it. My husband and I used to get used items but he feels that its not OUR job to make sure their kids are properly clothed.
Good for you!

I agree with your husband, its not your job!
Blackcat31 02:47 PM 03-12-2013

Or

I do both of these things sometimes but what I do most of the time is either deny parent at drop off if I see the child does not have the appropriate winter gear or I will call the parents when the rest of us are getting ready to go out and let them know they can either bring the child the required winter gear or they can come pick up. BOTH of those last options require immediate action.

I also make it pretty clear upon enrollment that we go outside everyday and if anything gets ruined or dirty, that is on them not me.

Play is sometimes messy and messy is fun and that is the point!
lovemykidstoo 02:49 PM 03-12-2013

They were mad at you? Wow they have alot of nerve. Tell them that it's not fair to all of the other kids to have them stay inside because they chose not to bring the needed items. You could say, well, I would rather have one parent mad at me then 5 other parents mad at me because I couldn't take their kids outside because you didn't bring boots.
mrsp'slilpeeps 02:58 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
They were mad at you? Wow they have alot of nerve. Tell them that it's not fair to all of the other kids to have them stay inside because they chose not to bring the needed items. You could say, well, I would rather have one parent mad at me then 5 other parents mad at me because I couldn't take their kids outside because you didn't bring boots.
They were mad that I would let her jump in a puddle. She is 2.5 yrs old. But yet they still send her in them.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 02:58 PM 03-12-2013
I guess I am right there with you. I have a parent that thinks it is summer. His little guy had a sweatshirt on and it was 35 degrees out! I made sure I told him that his little guy was cold and that we go out for an hour every day.
Boots- I would put plastic bags over them and go out any way.
Starburst 03:09 PM 03-12-2013
They were mad that I would let her jump in a puddle. She is 2.5 yrs old. But yet they still send her in them.
I would just tell them that there is a new dress code that EVERYONE has to follow. Just make a list of the things you want to require (such as closed toe shoes, a sweater/coat, weather appropriate clothing, etc.) and then make it clear that children will NOT be allowed to attend the daycare for the day without following dress code (unless they have an appropriate back up they can wear during play time) and add it to your contract. Also Try to look into your local school's dress code too for ideas and try to cordinate if you can as a way of preparing them for school appropriate attire.
lovemykidstoo 03:42 PM 03-12-2013
How ignorant. Tough luck for them. I would flat out tell them, if they don't want her jumping in puddles with those boots then DON'T SEND THEM! Dumb dumbs. ugh!
Angelsj 04:42 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I also make it pretty clear upon enrollment that we go outside everyday and if anything gets ruined or dirty, that is on them not me.

Play is sometimes messy and messy is fun and that is the point!
Yep. They get ruined clothes, sad, but not my problem. It generally stops pretty quickly. I would NOT keep other kids in because of it. (And you can slip plastic sacks INSIDE the boots to keep her feet dry. Don't care much about the boots, )
Luna 05:28 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Yep. They get ruined clothes, sad, but not my problem. It generally stops pretty quickly. I would NOT keep other kids in because of it. (And you can slip plastic sacks INSIDE the boots to keep her feet dry. Don't care much about the boots, )
Plastic inside the boots is a great idea. Look after the feet, tough toenails about the boots.
I've had kids sit in the stroller or wagon because they didn't have proper footwear. I don't think they'll let their parents send them like that again.
providerandmomof4 05:34 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I get the same thing. I either let the child stand by me on the cement or I let the child go and do what they want and when the parent gets mad because their pants are wet or their shoes are soiled I remind them that it is their choice not to send the appropriate item.

Same here! I hope that my dcp understand that when their kids play outside they will sometimes get dirty too...I have one dcb that is always so paranoid that he is getting dirty, and I know it's coming from his parents. I mean....I understand that if they have on their good clothes...but still, they have to be allowed to be kids.
WImom 05:37 PM 03-12-2013
I take them out anyways. I had one today with tennis shoes. Oh well for mom if her kids tennis shoes are wet. Bring there stuff in then. I do have extra gloves and hats since I wouldn't send a kid out without that stuff. If they came without a jacket I'd let the parents know we go out at *** and they would need to either drop off a jacket by then or come and pick up their child at that time so we can go out.
Lucy 07:50 PM 03-12-2013

It's bark dust here in the Pacific NW also. I had never heard of it when we first moved here from So Cal.
TheGoodLife 07:54 PM 03-12-2013

Or

I agree- make them understand that there is a reason she needs the appropriate clothes/ shoes! (Don't stay out too long, just enough to let her "dirty up" the pretty shoes ) If it states in your contract that they need appropriate clothes, I would write a "reminder letter" and then turn them away at the door the next time they come w/o something!
just_peachy 06:08 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
It's bark dust here in the Pacific NW also. I had never heard of it when we first moved here from So Cal.
I'm in the Pacific NW also! When I've used it on other forums, I get a lot of these responses:
KDC 08:42 AM 03-13-2013

HA, Love it
I'm from the midwest and haven't heard the term 'bark dust'... we call it mulch I think(?)
littlemissmuffet 10:46 AM 03-13-2013
How do you explain to parents that we ALL could not go play outside because little suzzy has sparkly fashion boots, not real winter boots and her feet will get cold and wet.

These parents are expecting me to take their littles outside when its nice, but what do you do about the kids with out proper outerwear??

Simple. I send them home.
slpender 10:58 AM 03-13-2013

I send them home or make them sit at a outside table with table toys or a book. Then I tell the parents suzy had to sit at the table during outside play today becuase she did not have the proper clothing.

Some parents will catch on pretty quick when suzy has to sit out 3 or 4 time.

It took one of my parents a few time little girl would get lazy and wait to long to go potty and pee on shoe after she missed outside play a few time they brough extra shoes.
dEHmom 01:02 PM 03-13-2013
It's so frustrating! I have it in my policies i will send kids home upon arrival if they don't have proper gear, but i've never had my backbone to do it, or I didn't notice until it was too late.

I have an 18 month old coming in rubber boots! I told the parents she needs WINTER boots because her feet are freezing and the rubber boots make her slip on the ice/snow.
Country Kids 04:35 PM 03-13-2013
To Lyss and Just Peachy:

I'm not to far from you and never heard of bulk dust! We call it bulk mulch in my area of the PW. Isn't that funny how you can be so close to each other but things are so different!
Tags:dress code
Reply Up