Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Close If ...........
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:06 AM 03-19-2013
You were the one that had strep throat?

I have a fever, the chills and I can barely talk.

I went to the doctor this morning with a DCB in tow and sure enough that's what I have.

All the parents still insisted on leaving their children here.

One parent even brought her daughter even though her mom and dad have the stomach flu.

I really don't get it anymore.
Play Care 10:17 AM 03-19-2013
YES! Strep can be very serious. Thankfully I do not usually call out due to illness, but when I do, I don't leave it up to parents. And you can bet if one of the kids comes down with it, it will be all your fault

I hope you feel better!
mom2many 10:22 AM 03-19-2013
I've had strep several times and I would absolutely close. I told the parents I'm contagious and too ill to care for your kids. No one ever had an issue with it and they completely understood.

I know how bad I felt being sick with strep and simply cannot imagine a parent expecting you to care for their child while having this.
butterfly 10:27 AM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I've had strep several times and I would absolutely close. I told the parents I'm contagious and too ill to care for your kids. No one ever had an issue with it and they completely understood.

I know how bad I felt being sick with strep and simply cannot imagine a parent expecting you to care for their child while having this.

Willow 10:35 AM 03-19-2013
Absolutely!

I would not even give parents the option!!!
LK5kids 10:39 AM 03-19-2013
There is NO WAY I would ever work with strep. I have had it twice and I was too ill to even lift my head off the pillow!
itlw8 11:34 AM 03-19-2013
You will get well faster if you get some rest. close until you have been on meds 24 hours AND the fever drops. so send the child home. close tomorrow and let them know if you will open Thursday Tomorrow night.

Dr gave me a very stern look when I got it and admitted I had felt bad for 2 days and still cared for children. none of them got it but they could have.
MNMum 11:42 AM 03-19-2013
Close!
Blackcat31 11:58 AM 03-19-2013
Yes! I would absolutely close!

If you stay open, what will the plan of action be when/if one of the DCK's gets it? Will they be allowed to come anyways since the parent might try and say they got it from you?
wdmmom 12:02 PM 03-19-2013
I've never had the side effects of strep in my life (knock on wood) but I also have psoriasis and I've been told if I contract strep, it would cause a flare up.

I have it worded in my contract that strep throat is an exclusionary illness of a minimum of 48 hours due to what it can do to me.

I tested positive once and was in so much in my joints and my skin but never had the throat type effects. I can only imagine how much that hurts when I was in excruciating pain.

Personally, I would close. It's HIGHLY contagious and if you don't feel well, the last thing you need to do is chase kids all day. You need to be resting on the couch or in bed watching Maury!
Reply Up