Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Six Seat Stroller Opinions
Fiddlesticks 08:34 AM 02-01-2017
I have grant money to spend, and my intention has been to purchase a large stroller so I can take my little ones for a walk every day. Once upon a time I had a quad stroller, one of the foldable ones, and had a terrible time pushing it. This was after they first came out, and I don't think it was very sturdy, or had wobbly wheels, or something... I don't know, but I rarely used it because it was not fun. I want to get a solid stroller, like the Bye Bye Buggy or the Gaggle, but I have never pushed one. Has anyone here ever used one? Are they easier to push than the fold up kind? I know they are heavy, but do they push smooth, are they easy to turn...?
CityGarden 08:52 AM 02-01-2017
This article covers a couple (be sure to read the comments)
http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/200...let_strol.html
Fiddlesticks 09:22 AM 02-01-2017
The Turtle Kiddy Bus is my favorite, but I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy it in the U.S.
lovemydaycare0912 09:30 AM 02-01-2017
I have the bye bye buggy for 6. Bought used on Craigslist for 500 with the seat umbrellas and fat tires. My husband pushes it for me and it's not terrible. But then again we have younger children ages 3m - 3 yrs. If you have older children than 3 who are heavier it'd probably get very heavy.
laundrymom 09:37 AM 02-01-2017
I had the angeles six seater. Used it for several years and sold it after moving to a home with no sidewalks.
It was heavy but very maneuverable. Sturdy.
I only collapsed it during storage in cold season. The kids were comfortable in it and never complained of feeling cramped or hot.
rosieteddy 09:58 AM 02-01-2017
I have the runabout 5 seat.It can not be folded ,its the kind that looks like child bike seats.This stroller has large bike wheels and is so easy to push.I bought it on line 12 yrs ago and never regretted it.I loved it so much I used it as a 4 and 3 seat as well.Google runabout they have 6 seaters as well.I wish you lived close I am selling mine as I have retired now.
Fiddlesticks 10:05 AM 02-01-2017
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
I have the bye bye buggy for 6. Bought used on Craigslist for 500 with the seat umbrellas and fat tires. My husband pushes it for me and it's not terrible. But then again we have younger children ages 3m - 3 yrs. If you have older children than 3 who are heavier it'd probably get very heavy.
Right now, my oldest daycare child is 3, but I will eventually have four year olds in it. (I am assuming...who knows with all day preschool through the schools...) Would your husband say it glides easily? The problem I had with my old stroller was that I felt like I was fighting the stroller half the time, like maybe there was too much side to side movement (Probably from the kids) I was hoping the solid type strollers would eliminate that sway. But I don't want to spend extra money if it is just going to be the same problem.
Fiddlesticks 10:08 AM 02-01-2017
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I have the runabout 5 seat.It can not be folded ,its the kind that looks like child bike seats.This stroller has large bike wheels and is so easy to push.I bought it on line 12 yrs ago and never regretted it.I loved it so much I used it as a 4 and 3 seat as well.Google runabout they have 6 seaters as well.I wish you lived close I am selling mine as I have retired now.
Ugh, yeah, I wish I lived closer! I could totally use a 5 seater, I am waffling between the 4 and 6, but decided I'd rather have extra seats than not enough...I am considering the runabout. Are the five seats in a straight line, or are some side by side? Do you know if that makes a difference in manueverabilty?
Gemma 10:10 AM 02-01-2017
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
I have grant money to spend, and my intention has been to purchase a large stroller so I can take my little ones for a walk every day. Once upon a time I had a quad stroller, one of the foldable ones, and had a terrible time pushing it. This was after they first came out, and I don't think it was very sturdy, or had wobbly wheels, or something... I don't know, but I rarely used it because it was not fun. I want to get a solid stroller, like the Bye Bye Buggy or the Gaggle, but I have never pushed one. Has anyone here ever used one? Are they easier to push than the fold up kind? I know they are heavy, but do they push smooth, are they easy to turn...?
Those 6 seater look so cool...but I have a double stroller and that's hard enough to maneuver at times, I doubt I could manage a stroller that size and the weight of 6 kids
DaveA 10:14 AM 02-01-2017
I have a 4 seat Foundations stroller that folds and love it. Lightweight, easy to push/ handle, and survived 8 years of my crew. They make a 4 seat model that is similar.
Blackcat31 10:32 AM 02-01-2017
Where did ya get grant money to spend? lol!

I have some too but I had to be specific about what I am going to use it for before I even applied for it so just wondering where you got grant money you are able to decide later where and on what you are going to spend it on.

I hate that the grant I got required such specifics.
Fiddlesticks 10:43 AM 02-01-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Where did ya get grant money to spend? lol!

I have some too but I had to be specific about what I am going to use it for before I even applied for it so just wondering where you got grant money you are able to decide later where and on what you are going to spend it on.

I hate that the grant I got required such specifics.
Well, it is actually my Parent Aware money. So just $1000, but I already received it for the last three years (after one star, two star, and three star ratings) and have already purchased so many things the last three years. I was planning on completing my four star rating this time, but my coach said there was money again and that even though I already got money for three stars I can get it again. So, I settled on three stars just to get the money for a great stroller! Now they are changing the process, so we'll see about the four stars for next year.
MarinaVanessa 10:43 AM 02-01-2017
Ugh, yeah, I wish I lived closer! I could totally use a 5 seater, I am waffling between the 4 and 6, but decided I'd rather have extra seats than not enough...I am considering the runabout. Are the five seats in a straight line, or are some side by side? Do you know if that makes a difference in manueverabilty?
I have the same stroller but mine is a 4 seater. Someone gave me a 3 seater and I loved it so much that I bought one brand new for me but with 4 seats and gave the one that was given to me to another provider. These strollers seriously last forever. The original owner had hers for 7-10 years if I remember correctly, I had it for 2-3 and the provider I gave the 3 seater to has had it for 2-3 years.

Runabout does have a 5 seater it's an in-line. Mine is an in-line and I personally prefer the narrow strollers rather than the side-by side because I can still get into regular sized doors and go on narrow sidewalks. The seats are easy to remove/recline by loosening some knobs and tightening them again. I can get my whole stroller pulled apart in about 5-6 minutes. I like being able to remove a seat or two if I only have 2 kids that need to go in it and prefer to use my runabout when I'm pushing only 2 kids rather than using my Graco Ready to Grow. The roundabout pushes easier, I can adjust the height of the handlebar to where it's most comfortable for me and I love the locking handlebar brake (like the brake on a bike).

Like you're thinking, I bought a four seater because I wanted to have an extra seat just in case and it has been a life saver. My own 6 year old has sat in it (he's a small frame kid) and a large 5 year old has too as well as my own newborn as little as 6 weeks old. For my newborn I just reclined the seat back and added an infant car seat insert to hold her head up straight.

They did have an attachment that you can click a Graco car seat to but Graco has since changed their car seats so it only works with older car seats and Berg Designs (the maker of the Runabout) told me that he wasn't planning on updating the adapter since the seats recline to the same angle that infant carseats do. I would have still preferred an adapter to use with infants but it does work just with the seat alone.

One thing about the Runabout strollers though ... if you do get one I'd recommend spending the extra and buying the ones straight from Berg Designs rather than from Angeles. They have runabout strollers too but I think theirs are side-by-side. They have the same name because Angeles bought the plans from Berg Designs but Angeles modified the design a bit and uses less expensive materials to lower the price and I've read some complaints about rusting and cracks within a few years from the Angeles brand.

Here is the Berg Design online catalog
http://bergdesign.net/runabout.htm
Fiddlesticks 10:48 AM 02-01-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I have the same stroller but mine is a 4 seater. Someone gave me a 3 seater and I loved it so much that I bought one brand new for me but with 4 seats and gave the one that was given to me to another provider. These strollers seriously last forever. The original owner had hers for 7-10 years if I remember correctly, I had it for 2-3 and the provider I gave the 3 seater to has had it for 2-3 years.

Runabout does have a 5 seater it's an in-line. Mine is an in-line and I personally prefer the narrow strollers rather than the side-by side because I can still get into regular sized doors and go on narrow sidewalks. The seats are easy to remove/recline by loosening some knobs and tightening them again. I can get my whole stroller pulled apart in about 5-6 minutes. I like being able to remove a seat or two if I only have 2 kids that need to go in it and prefer to use my runabout when I'm pushing only 2 kids rather than using my Graco Ready to Grow. The roundabout pushes easier, I can adjust the height of the handlebar to where it's most comfortable for me and I love the locking handlebar brake (like the brake on a bike).

Like you're thinking, I bought a four seater because I wanted to have an extra seat just in case and it has been a life saver. My own 6 year old has sat in it (he's a small frame kid) and a large 5 year old has too as well as my own newborn as little as 6 weeks old. For my newborn I just reclined the seat back and added an infant car seat insert to hold her head up straight.

They did have an attachment that you can click a Graco car seat to but Graco has since changed their car seats so it only works with older car seats and Berg Designs (the maker of the Runabout) told me that he wasn't planning on updating the adapter since the seats recline to the same angle that infant carseats do. I would have still preferred an adapter to use with infants but it does work just with the seat alone.

One thing about the Runabout strollers though ... if you do get one I'd recommend spending the extra and buying the ones straight from Berg Designs rather than from Angeles. They have runabout strollers too but I think theirs are side-by-side. They have the same name because Angeles bought the plans from Berg Designs but Angeles modified the design a bit and uses less expensive materials to lower the price and I've read some complaints about rusting and cracks within a few years from the Angeles brand.

Here is the Berg Design online catalog
http://bergdesign.net/runabout.htm
Okay, thank you. I am leaning toward this one now, I always want to hear what real people have to say! I will have to weigh my pros and cons.
Blackcat31 11:26 AM 02-01-2017
Well, it is actually my Parent Aware money. So just $1000, but I already received it for the last three years (after one star, two star, and three star ratings) and have already purchased so many things the last three years. I was planning on completing my four star rating this time, but my coach said there was money again and that even though I already got money for three stars I can get it again. So, I settled on three stars just to get the money for a great stroller! Now they are changing the process, so we'll see about the four stars for next year.
I thought Building Quality after I posted...

I considered going that route when I first signed on for Parent Aware but I just submitted my stuff and figured I take whatever rating I got.
I've been 4 stars now for several years but I have not re-rated with the new requirements yet.

In case you are interested, here are the new standards and indicator requirements for rating. These changes take effect in July 2017.

https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserv.../DHS-6346B-ENG

I got a grant through Child Care Aware (a service grant) of $1500 but we had to state specifically when applying for the grant what we were going to use it on.
Fiddlesticks 11:46 AM 02-01-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I thought Building Quality after I posted...

I considered going that route when I first signed on for Parent Aware but I just submitted my stuff and figured I take whatever rating I got.
I've been 4 stars now for several years but I have not re-rated with the new requirements yet.

In case you are interested, here are the new standards and indicator requirements for rating. These changes take effect in July 2017.

https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserv.../DHS-6346B-ENG

I got a grant through Child Care Aware (a service grant) of $1500 but we had to state specifically when applying for the grant what we were going to use it on.
Yes, I have done the Child Care Aware grants. I only apply every other year because I noticed when I applied every year they only approved me every other year... They segment it so much, it makes it difficult to buy a big ticket item, since you have to divide things among so many categories. Also, I found that between the time I applied and the time I was approved the price would often change, and the grant didn't cover the total price anymore. But I will still take free funds wherever I can find them. I purposely went through PA one star at a time to maximize the amount of money I could receive. They used to advertise it to providers as an opportunity to receive "up to $3500" that is why I assumed that once I received money for a star rating I couldn't receive it again for the same star rating...which makes more sense. But again, I take extra funds whenever I can get them!
rosieteddy 02:10 PM 02-01-2017
My 5 seater is in a straight line.It is long ,but very manageable .I bought it from Berg design as previous poster pointed out.
Fiddlesticks 02:41 PM 02-01-2017
So, I am looking at the six seat Runabout. It looks like the one I can buy from school supply stores (i.e.: the Angeles one) does not have the same wheels as the Berg design. I am thinking the wheels are the key to ease of use, but I cannot figure out how to buy one from Berg design, the link takes to a pdf flyer, but there is no ordering option.
MarinaVanessa 09:46 PM 02-01-2017
So, I am looking at the six seat Runabout. It looks like the one I can buy from school supply stores (i.e.: the Angeles one) does not have the same wheels as the Berg design. I am thinking the wheels are the key to ease of use, but I cannot figure out how to buy one from Berg design, the link takes to a pdf flyer, but there is no ordering option.
I know, it's weird. There is an email on the flyer and you send him an email with any questions and your order. Typically he's very prompt in returning emails or you can ask him to call you if you prefer to talk on the phone. He's super helpful.

Email:runabout@teleport.com
Fiddlesticks 05:33 AM 02-02-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I know, it's weird. There is an email on the flyer and you send him an email with any questions and your order. Typically he's very prompt in returning emails or you can ask him to call you if you prefer to talk on the phone. He's super helpful.

Email:runabout@teleport.com
Thank you!
Fiddlesticks 02:57 PM 02-02-2017
Thanks so much for the information, I have been in contact with Roger from Berg Design, and he is giving me a great deal on a 4x8 with six seats. It is more than my total Parent Aware award, but my out of pocket is minimal and well worth it to me. I am so excited to get it!
rosieteddy 03:15 PM 02-02-2017
I also got the basket and shade from them.You do not need the baby head rest they are everywhere.You will be happy with it,I got out all year and it was great.
kidcrazednluvingit 06:51 PM 02-03-2017
I just came across this thread... It sounds like you may have already bought a stroller but just in case... I am in Minnesota too and I am selling my 6 seat bye-bye buggy! It has the fat tire upgrade, cushions, and one sun canopy. Its in great shape! I loved it! I would push it to our local farmers market every Friday morning in the summer 2.5 miles, it was a game-changer! I am only selling because I am changing to a school-age program this year. If you are interested you can message me. It's also on Minneapolis Craigslist. I would be open to fair offers. Good luck with your search!!!
Fiddlesticks 03:00 PM 02-04-2017
Originally Posted by kidcrazednluvingit:
I just came across this thread... It sounds like you may have already bought a stroller but just in case... I am in Minnesota too and I am selling my 6 seat bye-bye buggy! It has the fat tire upgrade, cushions, and one sun canopy. Its in great shape! I loved it! I would push it to our local farmers market every Friday morning in the summer 2.5 miles, it was a game-changer! I am only selling because I am changing to a school-age program this year. If you are interested you can message me. It's also on Minneapolis Craigslist. I would be open to fair offers. Good luck with your search!!!
Oh, I did already order it. But, also, I would not have been able to use my award money to buy yours as you cannot use it on used items, I checked with my coach because I really would have liked to do that, I think I saw your ad on craigslist!
kidcrazednluvingit 08:20 PM 02-05-2017
Oh, bummer! Oh well- congrats on your new stroller!!!
MarinaVanessa 11:38 AM 02-06-2017
Congrats on the new stroller!!

I bought the sun shade and basket when I ordered mine and it was all well worth it. I love that you can always buy the accessories and replacements separately if needed which is helpful. Thinking of getting the waterproof cover.

Like mentioned, don't bother getting the infant insert direct. You can find new ones for $10, less if you buy used off of a BST local group or yard sale.

I recently ordered a phone holder off of amazon and it's great so that I don't miss phone calls while we're out (I don't like carrying it in my pocket). I'm thinking about getting a cup holder too. There are so many stroller attachments out there so that you can pimp your ride
Fiddlesticks 12:01 PM 02-06-2017
It shipped today, I am so excited to get it! I hope it arrives before Friday, it is going to be 45 here (major heatwave for this area) and I hope we can get out for a nice walk! The basket came with, as did a water bottle holder, and I ordered the sun shade. I didn't ask, but since I got the 4x8 with six seats, I *think* I could order extra seats and actually have an 8 seater. So excited!
Fiddlesticks 09:08 AM 03-09-2017
We finally got out for a walk in this stroller today. It was amazing!!!! It truly can be pushed with one finger, it turns on a dime, and all of the children had a great view due to the "stadium seating" We walked three miles today, and it was a breeze. I played the toddler toons station on Pandora during the walk and the children sang and clapped the whole trip. Now that I am back, my thighs and behind are a little sore, which I count as a plus! I hope to start every day with a three mile stroll, weather permitting. I might even play some audio books for the kids every other time just to keep it interesting for them.
Ariana 09:36 AM 03-09-2017
We finally got out for a walk in this stroller today. It was amazing!!!! It truly can be pushed with one finger, it turns on a dime, and all of the children had a great view due to the "stadium seating" We walked three miles today, and it was a breeze. I played the toddler toons station on Pandora during the walk and the children sang and clapped the whole trip. Now that I am back, my thighs and behind are a little sore, which I count as a plus! I hope to start every day with a three mile stroll, weather permitting. I might even play some audio books for the kids every other time just to keep it interesting for them.
Oh gosh I am so jealous!!! This is my dream . So glad you are enjoying and it was well worth the money. You have me thinking now!
Tags:stroller - 6 seat
Reply Up