Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do You Ask For Proof of Immunization?
Yes 32 71.11%
No 13 28.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spin off of the "Diseased Ignorant Hippie" Thread
youretooloud 09:57 AM 04-10-2011
Anyway.. Do you feel like you have the right to know if a child in your home is not immunized?

Do the other parents have the right to know if another child in your daycare is not immunized?

DO parents have the right to know if YOUR kids are not immunized?

I don't mean what is required in your state... just what you feel is right.
nannyde 10:32 AM 04-10-2011
I don't have feelings about it either way. I would just do what is required for my registration. I haven't come upon a child that isn't immunized yet and I had my son immunized.
SunflowerMama 10:37 AM 04-10-2011
Here is an old thread on vaccines.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21827

Do you feel like you have the right to know if a child in your home is not immunized? I think the parents should let you know.

Do the other parents have the right to know if another child in your daycare is not immunized? Only if my State required it would I tell.

DO parents have the right to know if YOUR kids are not immunized? I would definitely let parents know if my kids were not immunized

We used a very delayed vaccine schedule for our girls and my mother is nurse who administers free vaccines for the under priviledged...so I appreciate and respect both sides of this argument.
Meyou 10:44 AM 04-10-2011
I don't vaccinate anymore (my first has some vax's) and I always inform parents even though I'm not required to do so. Vaccines can be a make or break factor for some families so I prefer to tell them up front (it's in my PH) and let them voice concerns at that time if they have any.

I've asked several families who were leary of my policies why they vaccinate their children if they don't trust the vaccine to protect them? Most have decided to go with me at that point but a few have left quickly...you know...in case they touched me or something. :P
daycare 10:44 AM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't have feelings about it either way. I would just do what is required for my registration. I haven't come upon a child that isn't immunized yet and I had my son immunized.
my ex and I actually debated with this when our daughter was a baby. We come from a different country where when we grew up, we didn't get immunizations.

He did not want my daughter to have them, and I did. I don't have a lot of knowledge about them, I was just going with the advice from the doctor. They said that it would be silly not to protect your child. So I went forward with it behind my ex-husbands back before she even came home from the hospital.

He threw a huge fit and said that he didnt want her to have them done any more. So we stopped. Between her birth and starting school, I did not have them done anymore. When I went to enroll her into school, they said "NO", sorry she can't start school until she is update on all immunizations. I was sooooo angry. Not at the school, my ex. He had me believe that she would not have to have them after starting them. My daughter missed the first month of school until she was all caught up.

So with that being said, I don't feel that it really is the business of anyone. It's not like those that are not immunized are going to put others at risk. I feel that the parents of children that are not immunized should be the ones who are constantly at risk with the heatlh of their child.

I don't care if a child is immunized or not, but I would be very catious of a child that wasn't if in my care.

Ok that's my two cents....lol
SilverSabre25 11:40 AM 04-10-2011
Since I'm not required to be licensed in my state, I don't know my states' rules.

I don't ask, they don't tell...I have no clue if any of the kids in my care are vaccinated or not, and I don't care.

We vax very selectively and on a delayed schedule. Our pediatrician is absolutely fine with what we choose to do regarding vaccinations. She is in complete agreement with us as to the ones we do NOT give our daughter. If a daycare family ever asks, I will answer with "We vaccinate on a schedule approved by her doctor" and leave it at that.
youretooloud 11:50 AM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Since I'm not required to be licensed in my state, I don't know my states' rules.

I don't ask, they don't tell...I have no clue if any of the kids in my care are vaccinated or not, and I don't care.

We vax very selectively and on a delayed schedule. Our pediatrician is [i]absolutely/I] fine with what we choose to do regarding vaccinations.

That's me exactly. I don't care, and I don't ask.
jen 11:54 AM 04-10-2011
My kids are vaccinated, I don't much care what others do....

It is a requirement to have the sheets filled out, but if they sign off for whatever reason, its fine by me. I do not inform other parents of the status of kids in care.
cheerfuldom 12:09 PM 04-10-2011
I am not required to do anything because I am unlicensed. My kids are vaccinated but we do delay some. I do ask that parents let me know their kids status but I wouldn't necessarily turn anyone away for not being vaccinated. I am fine to tell my kids status if someone asks because if it is important enough to ask, I believe a parent does have a right to have an honest answer. We are a small group here and part of the draw as that parents do get a little more catering and accommodation with my daycare.
treehugger82 12:20 PM 04-10-2011
I typically stay out of these types of discussion b/c they get too heated and it can be very emotional, since we are speaking about what we as parents think is best for our child or children. However..... my kids are not vaccinated...never had an issue with school, doctor (ours is VERY supportive of our choice) or daycare. Also, my sister and I were never vaccinated either.
If the poster from the other thread wants to see hippies....I think my family pretty much defines it My mother even owns a health food store and the only people who work there are family members.
Anyway, I don't typically tell anyone I don't have to that my kids aren't vaccinated. I think that in MI I have to tell my daycare families, so I will, but I'm not open yet.
As for other parents having the right to know if other kids, besides mine are not vac'd...I really don't feel they have that right. I really don't care if the kids who come here are or are not, but I will know b/c they have to sign a waiver or give me their vax reccords.
PitterPatter 12:36 PM 04-10-2011
My state actually requires proof of all shots and yearly check ups for the subs. program. They supply a form to be given to the childs doctor for him to fill out and the parent has 30 days to return it or they are denied care by the state.

When I do get a private pay (rare) I have them fill out the exact same forms the state paid clients do as I think it's only fair to treat each the same.
Former Teacher 12:48 PM 04-10-2011
I could be TOTALLY wrong but.....

in Texas childcare you are required to have all shots. All my years at the dc (17 plus) we have had only 1 family who chose not to have immunizations. That family had to have a notarized affidavit from the health department stating that the child (an infant) can attend daycare.

The director was very concerned about the child and the rest of us. However the licensing rep just stated if anyone is going to be harmed in this situation it will be the child in question.

IMO it's no ones business but the family that chooses/or not to be vaccinated and the provider. It's no one else's business.
Mrs.Ky 12:57 PM 04-10-2011
All 3 of my kids have their shots and are up to date. I will NOT take a child without them in my daycare I am not licensed and dont have to be to watch 2 children in my state and thats all I wanna watch I ask the parents in the interview if their child is receiving them. Me personally I dont see why in the world parents wouldnt want their child to get them and put their child at risk but thats just how I feel.
daysofelijah 01:07 PM 04-10-2011
My kids are not vaxed. You are not required by law to have your children immunized in any state, there is an exemption option in every state.

I think the only two states that don't have some sort of religious/conscientious exemption are Mississippi and West Virginia. Every other state has a religious and/or conscientious/philosophical exemption option. Mississippi and W. Virginia only have a medical exemption option. Now I suppose a private company could refuse care due to lack of vaccinations, but I don't think any public, tax-payer funded school could.
Evansmom 04:10 PM 04-10-2011
Seems to me that if you choose to vax your children then your kids are safe, or you choose not to vax then you know the risks. I don't divulge info about one client to another so I don't share what the status of vax on my daycare kids is. But I'm not registered, just listed so I don't have to keep those records.
Hunni Bee 04:40 AM 04-11-2011
We're required to...we just last week received notice from the state that we dont have current vax information on every child we will be cited.
marniewon 05:44 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by treehugger82:
I typically stay out of these types of discussion b/c they get too heated and it can be very emotional, since we are speaking about what we as parents think is best for our child or children. However..... my kids are not vaccinated...never had an issue with school, doctor (ours is VERY supportive of our choice) or daycare. Also, my sister and I were never vaccinated either.
If the poster from the other thread wants to see hippies....I think my family pretty much defines it My mother even owns a health food store and the only people who work there are family members.
Anyway, I don't typically tell anyone I don't have to that my kids aren't vaccinated. I think that in MI I have to tell my daycare families, so I will, but I'm not open yet.
As for other parents having the right to know if other kids, besides mine are not vac'd...I really don't feel they have that right. I really don't care if the kids who come here are or are not, but I will know b/c they have to sign a waiver or give me their vax reccords.
Tree, where are you located? I'm in MI also.

My kids are vac'd up to their K shots. If I had it to do all over again, they wouldn't have been.

As already stated, in MI, we have to have shot records (or waivers) to allow children into our daycare. All my dck's so far have been, but I don't really care if they were or not, I'd still take them. In fact, [Putting flame suit on here] I would probably respect them a little more. Not because I feel like parents who choose to NOT vax their kids are better parents, but it shows me that this parent really studied this issue and went against the grain (and probably, in most cases) family and doctor advice to do what they felt was best for their child. I think in many cases (mine especially!) parents just get their kids vax'd because that's what's expected. It's been done for so long, docs don't ask permission or discuss options because it's a given that if you want your child to be healthy you get them vax'd. There is no individualized care (as far as the docs are concerned) without the parents making a conscious decision to the contrary.

I'm sure I botched what I was trying to say. Please know that I'm not trying to start a debate, nor am I trying to say that anyone who vac's their kids are bad parents, because I don't feel that way at all!!! I just think in most cases we do it because that's a given, expected. In every other aspect of our child's lives, we use their development and doctors advice to decide what to introduce when. With vacs it's a given that they will be done unless the parents say no or wait. I just think in many cases, a delayed vac schedule would be in the best interest of the child.
Blackcat31 05:59 AM 04-11-2011
In MN we are required to have an immunization form filled out and kept on file. The parent chooses to either enter the immunization dates or sign off that they are conscientiously or religiously opposed. I am not required to inform anyone of who is or isn't immunized.
SilverSabre25 06:06 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In MN we are required to have an immunization form filled out and kept on file. The parent chooses to either enter the immunization dates or sign off that they are conscientiously or religiously opposed. I am not required to inform anyone of who is or isn't immunized.
And actually...wouldn't informing other parents of the immunization status of someone be against privacy regulations, etc?
KEG123 06:07 AM 04-11-2011
Same.

I have to have record. There was one family who interviewed who said they were not vaxed. I told them I need to have a letter explaining religious exemption. My son is only partially vaxed and didn't have his first shot until 9 months old. So I obviously don't "care" one way or another.

Also it is NONE of other parents' business if another child is not vaccinated.
Blackcat31 06:53 AM 04-11-2011
And actually...wouldn't informing other parents of the immunization status of someone be against privacy regulations, etc?
I would think so. I have never had a parent ask about whether someone was vaccinated or not and if they did I wouldn't tell them anyways because I do believe it is the non-vaxed kids who are the ones who are at-risk and if a parent chooses to go the non-vax route, then they are more than likely fully aware of that aready.

My kids are older and were both vaccinated. I am not 100% sure I would do it again or not. I guess if I researched it a bit more....who knows.

They were just coming out with the chicken pox vaccine when my kids were younger and it was optional. I chose not to have them vaccinated for it and both have since had chicken pox since.
dEHmom 07:31 AM 04-11-2011
They were just coming out with the chicken pox vaccine when my kids were younger and it was optional. I chose not to have them vaccinated for it and both have since had chicken pox since.
Maybe it was because I was a young mom, or maybe it's different here in Canada, but I always just assumed Vax were something you did, just like a regular doc checkup. LOL.

When my 2nd child was about 6 months, they were just starting the chicken pox vaccine and I just turned it down because they both had chicken pox already. I think it is still optional, not sure, because I opted out of it on my last child too. I just hope someone we know gets cp soon so I can schedule a playdate
Symphony 07:39 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by daysofelijah:
My kids are not vaxed. You are not required by law to have your children immunized in any state, there is an exemption option in every state. I think the only two states that don't have some sort of religious/conscientious exemption are Mississippi and West Virginia. Every other state has a religious and/or conscientious/philosophical exemption option. Mississippi and W. Virginia only have a medical exemption option. Now I suppose a private company could refuse care due to lack of vaccinations, but I don't think any public, tax-payer funded school could.
Exactly. There are many people who will tell you your children cannot attend school or daycare, but it is simply not true. Even school officials are not always informed of the issues surrounding this.

I am required to have a record on file, but that DOES NOT mean the children are required to be vax'd. It just means I need either their records or their exemption. Most state regs and schools will state that they need vaccination records for the children to attend, and people interpret that to mean the children must be vaccinated. As the pp stated above, NO STATE IN THE US can demand a child be vaccinated.
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
Maybe it was because I was a young mom, or maybe it's different here in Canada, but I always just assumed Vax were something you did, just like a regular doc checkup. LOL.

When my 2nd child was about 6 months, they were just starting the chicken pox vaccine and I just turned it down because they both had chicken pox already. I think it is still optional, not sure, because I opted out of it on my last child too. I just hope someone we know gets cp soon so I can schedule a playdate
Nope, I think it was just something parents did and never questioned. When I was growing up the only people who did not have their kids immunized were very religious and (no offense to anyone) but odd or very different types of religions.

I think that you probably couldn't even find a study or test or anything that said imms were questionable when my kids were young.

It was all just part of the Dr visits and well child checks. I don't recall having to sign a waiver telling me of any concerns or tiny little printed info or anything like that...I don't recall feeling like it was even a choice...... just part of the 2,4,6,12, and 15 month checks.
SilverSabre25 07:53 AM 04-11-2011
Nope, I think it was just something parents did and never questioned. When I was growing up the only people who did not have their kids immunized were very religious and (no offense to anyone) but odd or very different types of religions.

I think that you probably couldn't even find a study or test or anything that said imms were questionable when my kids were young.

It was all just part of the Dr visits and well child checks. I don't recall having to sign a waiver telling me of any concerns or tiny little printed info or anything like that...I don't recall feeling like it was even a choice...... just part of the 2,4,6,12, and 15 month checks.
The big problem with vaxes now is that there are many, many more today than there were 15, 20 years ago. They are given more often, earlier, and in greater quantity. Compare vax schedules from when I was a kid (20-25 years ago) and today and there is a HUGE difference.
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 04-11-2011
The big problem with vaxes now is that there are many, many more today than there were 15, 20 years ago. They are given more often, earlier, and in greater quantity. Compare vax schedules from when I was a kid (20-25 years ago) and today and there is a HUGE difference.
Yeah, you are right about that! I think the only imms I, myself, got were the DTP, the MMR, and the necessary tetanus shot. I think they even stopped doing the small pox vac. the year I was born (?)
Symphony 08:08 AM 04-11-2011
Yeah, you are right about that! I think the only imms I, myself, got were the DTP, the MMR, and the necessary tetanus shot. I think they even stopped doing the small pox vac. the year I was born (?)
And now we vaccinate 24 hour old infants for a sexually transmitted disease!
dEHmom 08:22 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
And now we vaccinate 24 hour old infants for a sexually transmitted disease!
huh? Do they do this? since when?

None of my kids were vaccinated until they were like 2 or 3 mths old ish?
Symphony 08:29 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
huh? Do they do this? since when?

None of my kids were vaccinated until they were like 2 or 3 mths old ish?
Hep B, first shot to be given within 24 hours if possible.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/sch...chedule-pr.pdf
Meyou 08:40 AM 04-11-2011
I used to vax without thinking about it but my family was part of a mumps outbreak that shouldn't have happened according to the vaccine gods. I began questioning things quickly when we were quarentened to our home, given information from Public Health that conflicted with their press release and denied access to the children't emergency room because of the potential harm to all the VACCINATED children in the waiting rooms and treatment areas.
marniewon 10:10 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I used to vax without thinking about it but my family was part of a mumps outbreak that shouldn't have happened according to the vaccine gods. I began questioning things quickly when we were quarentened to our home, given information from Public Health that conflicted with their press release and denied access to the children't emergency room because of the potential harm to all the VACCINATED children in the waiting rooms and treatment areas.
That was my main argument with vaccines - if they work like they are supposed to, why are there still diseases today that kids are vaccinated against? And you can't tell me that it's those who choose not to vaccinate that are bringing these diseases back - just like your story, you all were vaccinated.

Then there's Gardasil - to be given to pre-teens to prevent a disease that causes cancer that is most commonly spread by sexual intercourse! Maybe I'm naive, but is pre-teen sex really that prevalent today?? Gardasil has been reported to cause all sort of side effects including death. Yes, i know all vaccs have risks, but from the studies I've seen this seems to have way more risks than any of the others.
marniewon 10:12 AM 04-11-2011

Exactly what I was trying to say in one of my posts above. I know I never questioned it, it was just something you did.
youretooloud 10:15 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:

Then there's Gardasil - to be given to pre-teens to prevent a disease that causes cancer that is most commonly spread by sexual intercourse! Maybe I'm naive, but is pre-teen sex really that prevalent today?? Gardasil has been reported to cause all sort of side effects including death. Yes, i know all vaccs have risks, but from the studies I've seen this seems to have way more risks than any of the others.
I actually know more people who got seriously ill from the gardasil vaccine than those who didn't. I'm not a big fan of anything new. I'd rather let others try it out and see how it went.
Cat Herder 10:23 AM 04-11-2011
An immunization form or a notarized Refusal Statement from a board certified pediatrician is required for daycare attendance.

I do what is required to meet my States rules and regulations.

My children are vaccinated AND I took it a step further and had my daughter take the Gardasil series for HPV to reduce her chances of developing cervical cancer later in life. (My pets are vaccinated as well. )

I have no personal opinion of what others choose for their own children. We can't all possibly be right, all the time, and I am not the one to say who is.... YKWIM?

With this issue it simply is what is deemed best by each individual mother based on research and personal/religious beliefs. Do I think we will always have a choice, NO.
Unregistered 10:26 AM 04-11-2011
I usually stay away from this topic because it gets too personal however I DO NOT FOR ANY REASON ACCEPT FAMILIES THAT ARE NOT UP TO DATE AND CAN NOT PROVE IT WITH A MD. NOTE. I ask at interview and will make no exceptions. Our licensing board says we are allowed to determine who fits into our daycare and can choose to accept or not accept for this any many other reasons. I chose to do this so that my son - who was too young to have been completely vaccinated at the time I started doing daycare- was not unecessarily exposed to viruses which his body could not fight off and which he had not had the necessary vaccinations for. He is now two and this is likely a non issue however I recently got blood work done at my dr and she told me a list of things which I do not have immunity for and either need booster shots for or need to avoid contact with. I am pregnant so I cant get these shots currently but will when I can. I have had many families thank me for NOT allowing un-vaccinated kids into my home and every year I remind families to get a flu shot.

Please don't jump all over me, I have done enough research on this issue to feel comfortable with my family decision and believe that each person/family has the right to decide what works for them. The luxury of owning your own business is getting to decide whom you welcome into your home everyday!
marniewon 10:27 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

Do I think we will always have a choice, NO.
I agree Catherder - I'm really surprised we still have the choice now and don't expect that we will always have a choice.
Mandy_Jane 11:12 AM 04-11-2011
Wow. I am seriously amazed at the views of some of you posting here. HEP B is a deadly disease that babies and young children can get from anyone they are in contact with who has the disease. When infected as young children, they are more likely to have long term health problems such as cirrhosis and liver cancer. Why wouldn't you want to protect your baby against something like that? Since the vaccine was first introduced in 1982, the incidence of acute Hepatitis B has dropped over 95% in children and adolescents, and 75% overall.

The diseases of the past that killed and crippled our children, are only a thing of the past because of vaccinations! Parents are so quick to forget the way things used to be before vaccinations were introduced. If only each of you who are against vaccines could have lived in those times of great illness where there was nothing a parent could do to protect their child, maybe then you would see the value and importance of the vaccines we have today.

I do vaccinate both of my young daughters, and I do have faith in those vaccinations to protect them. I do also realize that vaccinations are not a gift from the "vaccine gods" and they are not going to 100% guarantee that my child won't contract the disease they are protecting against. But it's a hell of a lot less likely they will get the disease when they are vaccinated against it, than if I had never vaccinated them in the first place.

And YES, parents who are choosing not to vaccinate their children are THE reason we are seeing outbreaks of these old diseases again. The US is one of the most advanced countries in the world, and they have almost completely gotten rid of most of these terrible diseases through vaccines. But, there are OTHER countries, POOR countries, where children are NOT vaccinated at all. All it takes is one infected person flying into this country, and then we will have an outbreak. Those vaccinated against the disease will fair well. Those who have not gotten vaccinated will be the ones in the hospitals, quarantined and dying. One way or another, every disease that we have been trying to eradicate, can and will make it back in to our country, until the entire world is fortunate enough to be able to provide ALL children with vaccinations. I am not going to risk the health of my children when the proof of the benefit of vaccinations is right in front of our faces. My girls will be vaccinated and I will sleep better at night knowing they are safe.
MamaBearCW 11:13 AM 04-11-2011
My children have all had vaccines. My son has even had the Gardisil shot. If enough people get immunized then some of these things will go away and then we can stop worrying about them. Though, I don't think that it should be mandatory.
jojosmommy 11:18 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Mandy_Jane:
Wow. I am seriously amazed at the views of some of you posting here. HEP B is a deadly disease that babies and young children can get from anyone they are in contact with who has the disease. When infected as young children, they are more likely to have long term health problems such as cirrhosis and liver cancer. Why wouldn't you want to protect your baby against something like that? Since the vaccine was first introduced in 1982, the incidence of acute Hepatitis B has dropped over 95% in children and adolescents, and 75% overall.

The diseases of the past that killed and crippled our children, are only a thing of the past because of vaccinations! Parents are so quick to forget the way things used to be before vaccinations were introduced. If only each of you who are against vaccines could have lived in those times of great illness where there was nothing a parent could do to protect their child, maybe then you would see the value and importance of the vaccines we have today.

I do vaccinate both of my young daughters, and I do have faith in those vaccinations to protect them. I do also realize that vaccinations are not a gift from the "vaccine gods" and they are not going to 100% guarantee that my child won't contract the disease they are protecting against. But it's a hell of a lot less likely they will get the disease when they are vaccinated against it, than if I had never vaccinated them in the first place.

And YES, parents who are choosing not to vaccinate their children are THE reason we are seeing outbreaks of these old diseases again. The US is one of the most advanced countries in the world, and they have almost completely gotten rid of most of these terrible diseases through vaccines. But, there are OTHER countries, POOR countries, where children are NOT vaccinated at all. All it takes is one infected person flying into this country, and then we will have an outbreak. Those vaccinated against the disease will fair well. Those who have not gotten vaccinated will be the ones in the hospitals, quarantined and dying. One way or another, every disease that we have been trying to eradicate, can and will make it back in to our country, until the entire world is fortunate enough to be able to provide ALL children with vaccinations. I am not going to risk the health of my children when the proof of the benefit of vaccinations is right in front of our faces. My girls will be vaccinated and I will sleep better at night knowing they are safe.
So do you disallow un-vacc kids in your care? We can in our county and I do not allow un-vac kids in my house. Period.

I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this issue however I do want to mention that if you choose not to vac your kids you may be making life long decisions which they can not change later. Many countries DO NOT ALLOW un-vac people into their country (no proof-no enterance) and some vac are unsafe to be given later in life- thus your child can not go back and get their infant series of ___ just to go to Europe.

Also, if you choose not to vac on the typical CDC recommended schedule your insurance can deny payment and some of those imms can cost over $1000 each if you choose to do them later- a friend of mine wanted to get her youngest vac after her oldest got lukemia and was succeptable and had to pay A TON out of pocket because they hadn't done it when it was approved and paid for by ins. Just a few things to keep in mind when you are making your personal decision.
Mandy_Jane 11:26 AM 04-11-2011
Honestly, I have never watched any child that wasn't up to date on their vaccinations. But that is simply because every child that has come to me has had parents who have chosen to vaccinate them. I do have faith in the vaccines my girls have gotten, but why knowingly put them at risk by being around an un-vaccinated child? That child could at any time contract measles, mumps, polio, diphtheria etc.......And I would not want that in my house. Whether my girls were vaccinated or not. I just don't know why parents want to play roulette with their child's health. The effectiveness of vaccines is PROVEN. They have nearly eradicated most of the childhood diseases that plagued parents so long ago. As the rate of vaccinated children drops, the rate of diseases increases. Any coincidence? I think not.

For anyone who is going to say, "Well then you can't send your child to public school if you don't want them to be around kids who aren't vaccinated"........Guess what? I'm a PROUD homeschooling mom.
Michael 11:43 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I usually stay away from this topic because it gets too personal however I DO NOT FOR ANY REASON ACCEPT FAMILIES THAT ARE NOT UP TO DATE AND CAN NOT PROVE IT WITH A MD. NOTE. I ask at interview and will make no exceptions. Our licensing board says we are allowed to determine who fits into our daycare and can choose to accept or not accept for this any many other reasons. I chose to do this so that my son - who was too young to have been completely vaccinated at the time I started doing daycare- was not unecessarily exposed to viruses which his body could not fight off and which he had not had the necessary vaccinations for. He is now two and this is likely a non issue however I recently got blood work done at my dr and she told me a list of things which I do not have immunity for and either need booster shots for or need to avoid contact with. I am pregnant so I cant get these shots currently but will when I can. I have had many families thank me for NOT allowing un-vaccinated kids into my home and every year I remind families to get a flu shot.

Please don't jump all over me, I have done enough research on this issue to feel comfortable with my family decision and believe that each person/family has the right to decide what works for them. The luxury of owning your own business is getting to decide whom you welcome into your home everyday!
It is prefectly fine to do as you please with your daycare and children. I don't think anyone here is stating that your MUST NOT get vaccinated. Some choose not to for their own reasons.

Some choose the vaccinations they prefer for their children. I don't think we should just let every doctor pump up our kids with whatever they want. My sister died that way. We as parents need to be in control of our children's health, learning and safety.
youretooloud 11:51 AM 04-11-2011
I like delayed and selective vaxing. I chose not to give dd a chicken pox shot, because it was brand new, and not widely given.

She starts college this summer, and I think she needs one more Hep booster.. but, I'm not sure.

I do flu shots because I am with a lot of people who are very fragile... so I'd feel awful if I got one of them sick.

I got a whooping cough shot with a tetnus last year. (that one hurts btw)

I do not believe in vaccinating for everything, but I do believe in vaccines.
Meeko 06:56 PM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I could be TOTALLY wrong but.....

in Texas childcare you are required to have all shots. All my years at the dc (17 plus) we have had only 1 family who chose not to have immunizations. That family had to have a notarized affidavit from the health department stating that the child (an infant) can attend daycare.

The director was very concerned about the child and the rest of us. However the licensing rep just stated if anyone is going to be harmed in this situation it will be the child in question.

IMO it's no ones business but the family that chooses/or not to be vaccinated and the provider. It's no one else's business.
Utah requirements are the same as Texas.
Meeko 05:41 AM 04-14-2011
We have to have a record of shots or have an exemption form on file.

If there is an outbreak of a vaccine-preventible illness, children who are not immunized are excluded from care until the health department says they can return. This is state law. This could possibly be weeks. Parents understand that they must pay me for the slot even if their children are not here for a long time. It's part of deciding not to immunize.
Meyou 05:47 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
We have to have a record of shots or have an exemption form on file.

If there is an outbreak of a vaccine-preventible illness, children who are not immunized are excluded from care until the health department says they can return. This is state law. This could possibly be weeks. Parents understand that they must pay me for the slot even if their children are not here for a long time. It's part of deciding not to immunize.
That couldnt be more different from here. When my youngest started school I wrote "we chose not to vax" on the form for the school and sent it back. I got a call from Public Health the next day where a case worker gave me her name and number and asked that I call her directly if I experience any negative feedback from the school regarding my unvax'd children. She said it was a violation of our human rights to discriminate based on vaccinations.

The only problem I ever had was with my then 10 year old. A nurse came to the school to give some kind of booster and she told the nurse that she was unvaccinated and her parents would not want her to have an injection without permission. She was told that was silly and to get back in line. So she asked to use the washroom and went to the office and called me at home. The school secretary sorted it with the nurse and my daughter received an apology.
Unregistered 06:49 AM 04-14-2011
It's fine if you decide to not vaccinate your kids. Personally, I vaccinate my daughter with everything except Gardasil. All of the kids in my care get vaccinations but if they ever chose not to, then I would have them sign the immunization waiver form.

What I have an issue with are comments about vaccinations not being effective against the very thing that they are used for. Somebody posted a comment about people still getting sick with diseases that can be prevented by vaccinations. Here is the short answer. Herd immunity. If enough people stop vaccinating for certain illnesses, then it's only logical that the chances of the disease reappearing are higher.
QualiTcare 08:12 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It's fine if you decide to not vaccinate your kids. Personally, I vaccinate my daughter with everything except Gardasil. All of the kids in my care get vaccinations but if they ever chose not to, then I would have them sign the immunization waiver form.

What I have an issue with are comments about vaccinations not being effective against the very thing that they are used for. Somebody posted a comment about people still getting sick with diseases that can be prevented by vaccinations. Here is the short answer. Herd immunity. If enough people stop vaccinating for certain illnesses, then it's only logical that the chances of the disease reappearing are higher.
i agree. there is a very logical reason for kids to be vaccinated. not being vaccinated? not so sure about the logic, but to each his own.
Meyou 08:29 AM 04-14-2011
The logic is that vaccines do not give you absolute protection against disease. For me injecting scary chemicals into my children is not worth the "chance to fight something off" benefits.

The MMR series given between 1970 and 1990 in Canada was ineffective at best yet there was no media coverage about it until there were outbreaks of mumps in the past several years in fully vaccinated 20 somethings. I would have liked to know the vaccines my mother gave me were useless.

They are bringing new vaccines out fast and furious this last decade. Some are released to the public before proper testing is done. There were severe side effects to the Gardisil vaccine (orginal compostion) in Texas especially because the state mandated vaccination of all teenage girls before extended clinical trials were done.

The swine flu vaccine that was given in canada about 18 months ago had on the company website that side effects and testing studies would be made available as the vaccine was administered to the public. I'm sorry but WTF?? The PUBLIC is the test group? Scary IMO.

Until recently there was mercury used as a preservative in vaccines in the US. The 2 month old shots had mercury which fell within the safety guidelines for a 12 month old by weight.

Just 4 examples that have stuck out to me in recent years.
Meeko 11:05 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
That couldnt be more different from here. When my youngest started school I wrote "we chose not to vax" on the form for the school and sent it back. I got a call from Public Health the next day where a case worker gave me her name and number and asked that I call her directly if I experience any negative feedback from the school regarding my unvax'd children. She said it was a violation of our human rights to discriminate based on vaccinations.

The only problem I ever had was with my then 10 year old. A nurse came to the school to give some kind of booster and she told the nurse that she was unvaccinated and her parents would not want her to have an injection without permission. She was told that was silly and to get back in line. So she asked to use the washroom and went to the office and called me at home. The school secretary sorted it with the nurse and my daughter received an apology.
The reasoning here in Utah is let's just say there is a measles outbreak. (There was a reported case just a couple weeks ago) The kids in my care are vaccinated. No worries. But I do accept non-vaccinated kids if they have an exemption form. But a non-vaccinated child may bring measles into my day care and give it to a newborn who is too young to be vaccinated. It could be fatal to the newborn. So the parents of the non-vaccinated child must be willing to keep their children out of school and day care until the threat has passed. They have a perfect right not to vaccinate their own children. But they do not have the right to maybe pass a lethal infection on to a baby if it can be prevented.
Meyou 12:39 PM 04-14-2011
See there is a fundamental problem with that logic.....

The MMR vaccine provides a change of fighting off an exposure to measles or mumps. It DOES NOT provide complete protection. It's similar to the CP vaccine which can lessen the case you get but doesn't prevent contraction when exposed. I've been told this by two doctors and our public health dept.

Myself, my hubby at the time, my sister, my neice and one of my daughters were all fully vaccinated and still contracted mumps easily and passed it to each other. We have no idea where it came from. My other child didnt get it only because she was sent to my parents house to live for 4 weeks....ironically the unvax'd child was the only one to NOT get mumps.

It's very interesting to see where regulations are less strict everyone is less panicy and where laws are very strict we have potentailly dying babies.
Tags:hippie, immunization, non-immunized, poll
Reply Up