Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ain't Going To Happen
countrymom 07:30 AM 12-09-2011
I have the 9month old that I complain about, the one that cries all the time and wants me to carry and hold her all day. So mom tells me that she is not sleeping at night, she keeps getting up (umm she's 9months) mom wants me to nap her only a half hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. This is never going to happen.

First, a half hour nap is a waste of my time, the baby sleeps for an hour and a half in the morning and I have to wake her up because she still wants to sleep and in the afternoon I put her down at 130pm and I can get her sleep till 3pm or 330pm. She's tired because she falls asleep right away and I , do play with her so she worn out, but there is no way I'm shorting her naps so I have to deal with her crying all day. I just can't carry her all day either my elbow is hurting.

also, I think the problem why she is not sleeping at night is because she is hungry, (and teething) but I feed her breakfast, a snack at 11am, lunch around 12pm a bottle when she wakes up from afternoon nap and a snack befor she goes home (around 4pm) she goes home, eats dinner at 530pm a bottle at 7pm and goes to bed. I think if they fed her some cereal before bed then she would stay asleep longer. Also, the dr did say she needed to gain weight which I didn't understand because she loves to eat here I mean this girl can eat, I just have a feeling that when she goes home she isn't eating enough and on the weekends she is not eating enough.
so dh says, that everyone wants their kids to sleep thru the night, but realisticly most don't esp. at that age. Why are people so unrealistic.
Ariana 07:41 AM 12-09-2011
I think it's because everyone says "well my kid slept through the night at 3 months"...yeah right! I struggled a lot with my infant not STTN. It turns out I was misreading her sleep cues and putting her down when she yawned and looked tired...then she'd fight sleep and then get overtired. Being overtired is what causes most of the sleep issues with young kids IMO. At 9 months she should be able to STTN without food. I think she's just overtired because they're likely limiting her nap at home? My daughters sleep improved when we put her on a schedule and she napped longer and therefore started STTN.

As for her DR saying she needs to gain weight is that true?
cheerfuldom 07:51 AM 12-09-2011
perhaps you should get something set up where you can talk to the doctor directly. besides that, I think your nap schedule is great for that age. Two 2 hour naps is perfect. even a 2 and 3 hour nap is not crazy.
Breezy 09:45 AM 12-09-2011
My almost 10 month old started sleeping through at around 2-3 weeks. When he reached almost 9 months he woke up every night to eat. Its a phase they go through. Google 9 month sleep regression. If the mom wants you to limit her naps it is going to screw her in the long run because it will just cause issues long term when the regression is a short term phase. Babies that age need about 2-3 hours of sleep in the day and 11-12 at night. But during the regression, the baby cant shut their brain off all night (like when we are excited or nervous for something happening the next day) so they wake up. This is usually because of all the new things they are learning like crawling, pulling up, categorizing different things, etc!

Hope that helps. My ds is going to be 10 months a week from yesterday and slept through the night finally last night affer not for weeks. Keep doing what you are doing!
countrymom 11:27 AM 12-09-2011
thanks ladies, I have 4 kids of my own and I let my kids sleep, I always believe that children grow whent they sleep. My children never slept thru the night, they are kids what do you want. As for the wieght, mom went to the dr's and grandma confirmed this, but gma is not concerned because she knows every child is different. I think she needs to eat more at home. Well I weighed her at my house so on monday I'm going to weigh her again and I'll see, if there is wieght difference then I know she is not eating enough at home.
frgsonmysox 11:31 AM 12-09-2011
None of my kids have slept through the night before the age of 2 years. They are all exclusively breastfed for the first year, and generally go on to nurse for a few more years. A lot of kids, unless sleep trained, do NOT sleep through the night prior to 18 months - 2 years.
SilverSabre25 11:37 AM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox:
None of my kids have slept through the night before the age of 2 years. They are all exclusively breastfed for the first year, and generally go on to nurse for a few more years. A lot of kids, unless sleep trained, do NOT sleep through the night prior to 18 months - 2 years.
yep this....for my DD.

For DS? He's a goof ball who has slept through the night several times a week since he was a few days old. That's dropped off a bit now that he's six months, but I'm pretty sure he'll go back to it once he gets used to the freedom of crawling.
spud912 12:30 PM 12-09-2011
I think it's a combination of how the child is and reading their cues.

For example, my older dd took 2 naps until around 18 months (first one was 1 1/2 hours and second was 2-4 hours). I weaned her of her first nap because it became less and less. She started sleeping through the night at ~9 months (per our doctor's suggestion to let her CIO at night). She slept through the night for about a year and then started waking up periodically through the night. She is almost 3 and still gets up 1-2 times a night and now only naps ~45 minutes to 2 hours.

My younger dd stopped taking a second nap around 8 months. She was waking up too late in the morning (~10 am) and so her second nap was usually starting at around 5:30-6 pm. I eliminated her second nap and she finally started going to bed at around 7:30 pm instead of 11 pm . Now at 12 months old she sleeps 7:30 am to ~9 am and takes a nap from 1 pm to 4 pm. She started sleeping through the night at around 1-2 months old. She is quite the sleeper.
Christian Mother 12:45 PM 12-09-2011
I noticed that every 6 mos there would be a change in sleeping patterns. My children would start out sleeping the standard 2 hrs wake up to be feed and back down and repeat and then by 3 months they would take 2 naps a day each being 2 hrs around 9:30am and the other around 2pm. They would sleep through the night by 4 months but at 6 months they'd wake up during the night. It didn't last long but I found every 6 mos something was going on. Teething, growth spurt.

I have a 5 month right now and she is on schedule here. She naps for 45min in the morning from 9:30am til 10:15am and goes back down at 1:30pm for a hr sometimes longer. She just started eating rice cereal and I've noticed her sleep pattern has changed. She now will sleep from 9:30am til 11:30am and then she will wake up for rice cereal and a little bit of a bottle and want to go back to sleep around 3pm. Dad picks her up at 3:15pm so I keep her up an extra 15min so she can sleep for him. He's a new father and isn't quiet comfortable with her yet on his own so if she is teething or unhappy they go to grandma's to help sooth. She really is just tired.
cheerfuldom 01:56 PM 12-09-2011
I breastfeed my kids and they sleep thru the night at around 6 to 8 months. My littlest is 7 months and only wakes once per night. I think a lot of it is having a routine and consistency. Even breastfed babies can sleep well. (by sleeping thru the night, I am talking a full 10 to 12 hours!)
countrymom 04:30 PM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox:
I nursed my youngest till she was 3 yrs old she is now 7 yrs old and a solid brick. But she sleep wonders at night, sometimes, like last night when she came in my room and turned on the lights and couldn't find my bathroom (thank goodness she didn't pee on my floor) I shooed her back to her room where she found the bathroom but was in there for a long time that I thought she fell asleep. She then shuts the bathroom door and goes back into her room. She is wide eyed but sleeping, it was so funny to watch last night.
momofboys 05:34 PM 12-09-2011
I have 3 boys & I BF all 3 for 8 + months (#3 I BF for 15 months) & all 3 of them were sleeping through the night by 4 months, some earlier. I think it is a myth that you can't BF & have a child sleep through the night.
Qpmomma 06:23 PM 12-09-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I breastfeed my kids and they sleep thru the night at around 6 to 8 months. My littlest is 7 months and only wakes once per night. I think a lot of it is having a routine and consistency. Even breastfed babies can sleep well. (by sleeping thru the night, I am talking a full 10 to 12 hours!)
Wow! You are one of the lucky ones!

I agree, everyone seems to think babies should sleep through the night well before a year old. Sleep training often involves an infant screaming in his crib until he realizes his crying is futile, no one is going to come. Makes me sad. My daughter still doesn't sleep through the night some nights and she's 20 months old. Most nights she does, but ever so often, she wakes for a quick cuddle and rock.
GretasLittleFriends 08:35 PM 12-09-2011
OP, have you talked to the mom about how much the girl eats? Perhaps just do it casually. Or perhaps give all of your parents a nutritional flier stating what ages and how much of each food a child should be eating a day?

My kids are 16yrs, 7yrs and 19mo. All 3 were sleeping 7+ hours a night by the time they were 3 months old. I only nursed until then because that was all I could do, I had a lack of supply and was happy to make it that long.

Up until a year or two ago (so over the age of 14ish) my ODD would sleep walk. Usually it was to find the bathroom, but not always.

My middle one doesn't stir in his sleep at all. Unfortunately he's one of those that Goodnites were designed for. I WISH he'd get up in the middle of the night. Doctor says he will eventually.

My 19mo old quit taking a morning nap when she was about a year old. Every once in a while she'll wake up in the middle of the night to cuddle. It's usually just when she isn't feeling well. She gets up 8:30a, naps 12:30p/1p - 3p, then goes to bed around 9p.
Tags:crying - all day
Reply Up