Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Birthday Gifts For DCK
Oneluckymom 01:35 PM 03-13-2012
Hey all!! I was wondering how many of you buy a birthday gift for a DCK.

I have a toddler turning two this weekend and was considering getting something. If I do, what are some good gifts, not expensive, that you might recommend.

Thanks !!
Meeko 01:39 PM 03-13-2012
Nope....got 20 kids on my books. I'd go broke!
Blackcat31 02:30 PM 03-13-2012
I don't buy anything for birthdays or Christmas.

I don't have as many as Meeko but don't buy gifts for the same reason...(a few other reasons too but mostly cost.)
bice99 02:34 PM 03-13-2012
I give small gifts Some providers let the child unwrap a gift that is a new item for the DC So they get the joy of opening something but then realize that it stays at DC and has to be shared. Ohhhhh.
daycare 02:53 PM 03-13-2012
Ok this might not sound fair, but here is what I do.

All kids regardless of how long they have been with me will get a small bag of educational supplies. Maybe a small book, color crayons, water paints, letter or number cards. About $5.00 worth of stuff. We have a small party and cake or a special treat. We sing to the child and the child opens their gift. I also allow the parents to bring treat bags or I will do something like that for them. Depends on what the parents will do. Most of the kids I have here come from a lot of money so I don't do too much.

Then those that have been with me over a year will still get the above to open here. BUT when they go home I send them home with a nice gift. I don't go to the bday party so I just send it home with them to open there.

I will spend about 20-30 on the kids that I have had long term...
AnneCordelia 02:58 PM 03-13-2012
I spent about $5-10/kid for birthdays. I get a small present that the child unwraps at circle time when we sing happy bday. :-)
Starburst 12:24 AM 01-31-2013
One place I worked at the provider would buy maybe a $5 to $20 game for kids on their birthdays and for Christmas just go to the $1 store and get about 5 to 10 stocking stuffer-type toys (like dolls, cars, crayons) for each kid. Depending on where you live you can write off up to a certain amount a year (I've heard $75, could differ) per child on your taxes as a business expense. It is discussed in Tom Copeland's "Record Keeping Guide".

For birthdays she also celebrated all birthdays for the month 1/2 way through the month (usually the second friday) and for Christmas she would have the kids do "Secret Santas" (optional; not required) and match up kids who are similar ages or where the family knows the child/family and set a limit on how much they can spend (usually between $10-$25 max). She also may have had a simple guide line to what toys she suggested (dolls, cars, puzzles) and what toys are not okay (guns, knives, other weapons).

Some ideas for a toddler:
Books/coloring books/large crayons
Blanket
Wooden blocks/ big Lego or Megablocks
Cars/trucks without small parts
Larger piece puzzles
Stuffed animal/doll
Basketball/soccorball/football or just a big plastic ball that is there favorite color
Doctor/dress up kits
Dramatic play props (puppets, career costums, animal hats, plastic food sets, tea sets)

If you take pictures regularly you can also give kids a "yearbook" on their birthday of their expierinces in daycare- this way they can "see" themselves grow and remember all the fun they had in your program. All you need is a mini photo album (can probably get it at the$1 store) and to take pictures of them playing with their friends and doing activities.

Warning: If you do this for one child you will be expected to do this for ALL the children; Because even if you send it home with the child, the child or the parent might bring it up either directly to or infront of other children/parents in your program.
LK5kids 03:58 AM 01-31-2013
I have always had a birthday box. It is a box with a lid wrapped with BD paper. I have $1.00 items from mainly the dollar tree, but I do find things from other places like Target's $ spot.

The kids have always LOVED this and I LOVE hunting for inexpensive but decent items. I have had good luck finding fairly good stuff. They stare into that box like it's a treasure chest and take deciding what to choose very seriously!
My3cents 04:06 AM 01-31-2013
I do give the child gifts for Birthdays and Christmas

For Christmas I encourage participation from all my families and they can bring in a small gift for each of their friends. We decorate a box or huge stocking and they go in that to be taken home to open with the parents. I also include crafts the kids have made for the parents. It is a hit here. Some participate and some don't. We do for all and because we want to do this.

Birthday- A book, a puzzle, rattle, sippy cup, cupcakes we eat here, the gift goes home to open at home. I don't go to kids birthdays. Sometimes I will buy something for the daycare in honor of the child's birthday.

I have done this no matter how many kids I have had. It is a token of appreciation for the child, the child's family and just fun, and makes me happy and shows that I care above and beyond the normal care.

I do because I want to do and not expect anything in return.
My3cents 04:08 AM 01-31-2013
I spend from $10-$20 on Birthdays and about the same on Christmas. I try to make it even but if it is not I don't worry about. I do what I can-
canadiancare 04:09 AM 01-31-2013
I have 5 kids in my care. They each get a good hardcover book as a birthday gift. I spend a great deal of time choosing one that is meaningful. We also make and decorate cupcakes together. In all between Christmas and Birthdays, Valentine's Day, Easter and Halloween the kids have about 50$ each spent on them which I claim on my taxes.

I also have the kind of parents who give me very generous gifts for Christmas and my birthday as well as occasional "just because" presents. Possibly a different set of circumstance from those running large centers. I usually get a child just before their first birthday and they stay with me until they start school at four.
e.j. 05:10 AM 01-31-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I have always had a birthday box. It is a box with a lid wrapped with BD paper. I have $1.00 items from mainly the dollar tree, but I do find things from other places like Target's $ spot.

The kids have always LOVED this and I LOVE hunting for inexpensive but decent items. I have had good luck finding fairly good stuff. They stare into that box like it's a treasure chest and take deciding what to choose very seriously!
I do the same thing here. The kids love choosing something from the Birthday Box. I usually look for something $5 and under. I have books, coloring books, markers, dolls, Matchboxes, puzzles, games, etc in there.
Jewels 05:35 AM 01-31-2013
I spend 10-15$ on birthday presents, I get them each a toy and usually a book, I try to keep it semi educational and nicer toys, find good items on clearance, or a good game....xmas this year everyone got a melissa and doug floor puzzle, and a book, everyonw will have a valentine goody bag from me filled with toys from oriental trading company, and everyone gets little easter baskets, I buy alot of bulk things from oriental, I love that place. I also send each kid home with a new book every month.
NeedaVaca 05:38 AM 01-31-2013
I do gifts for Christmas but not Birthdays. I do make the day special though, we have cake or cupcakes, sing Happy Birthday, etc.
kitykids3 04:18 PM 01-31-2013
I get each kiddo a Christmas and birthday present. I spend $10-15 on each kid, but I do the best I can with that. I usually get something that they are really into at that point in time.
Tags:birthday, gift ideas
Reply Up