Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do About Diapers?
littlemisssunshine 08:23 AM 04-03-2012
So DCM brings me 4 diapers a day for her daughter the DCG is here from 7am-5pm about 10 hours do you all think that is reasonable i find myself stressing over making them last... anyway i wanted to know about how many diapers you all use per day and if the child runs out do you use your own? the child is 22 months if that helps. and we've been working to potty train her. maybe she thinks she shouldn't bring so many diapers since she has a potty here.
MyAngels 08:27 AM 04-03-2012
It depends on the child whether 4 diapers would be enough. For an older child who does not go as often it might be, but for younger kids I use more than that in a 10 hour span.

Just ask the parent to bring more diapers.

Yes, I would use my own supply if I ran out, but I would not make it a regular habit.
bunnyslippers 08:30 AM 04-03-2012
I have one mom that does this, and it drives me crazy! I have started writing in a sharpie on any borrowed diapers, and expect her to give me more the next time she comes. I SHOULD be demanding that she follows my policies regarding keeping an entire package here; however, this mom follows none of my policies and I have to choose my battles or I would be giving her reminders every 3 seconds.

Needless to say, I will not be welcoming her back in the fall. No more patience for her. She is always forgetting payments, forgetting diapers, bringing in 8000 toys from home, and forgetting to dress her child. She also drives on my front lawn and slams my doors constantly. Can't even stand her. Ohhh, and she sits in my driveway and texts for like 30 minutess before finally entering to pick up her child.

Sorry - I hijacked this with my rant.

My policy is to have them bring a whole pack of diapers and wipes. You could implement a "diaper fee" for any that you need to provide for her. Or you could call her and say "Mom, sorry, we are out of diapers and you need to come pick up your little pumpkin."
momma2girls 08:39 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
I have one mom that does this, and it drives me crazy! I have started writing in a sharpie on any borrowed diapers, and expect her to give me more the next time she comes. I SHOULD be demanding that she follows my policies regarding keeping an entire package here; however, this mom follows none of my policies and I have to choose my battles or I would be giving her reminders every 3 seconds.

Needless to say, I will not be welcoming her back in the fall. No more patience for her. She is always forgetting payments, forgetting diapers, bringing in 8000 toys from home, and forgetting to dress her child. She also drives on my front lawn and slams my doors constantly. Can't even stand her. Ohhh, and she sits in my driveway and texts for like 30 minutess before finally entering to pick up her child.

Sorry - I hijacked this with my rant.

My policy is to have them bring a whole pack of diapers and wipes. You could implement a "diaper fee" for any that you need to provide for her. Or you could call her and say "Mom, sorry, we are out of diapers and you need to come pick up your little pumpkin."
On nice days, I am out front with all the children playing, so I can see they are on the phone. As far as if I see them on the phone, and they are taking forever in my driveway, bring children out to them
bice99 08:55 AM 04-03-2012
I have cubbies here for each child. Nothing comes and goes each day except the child and breastmilk. They keep a stock of diapers, wipes, 2 complete changes of clothes, sunscreen, etc here. I know some people who will supply diapers if a child runs out - for a fee. $1 per diaper, $0.25 per wipe. It adds up!
Blackcat31 08:59 AM 04-03-2012
My DCP's are all required to bring one package of diapers and wipes on the first of each month. (Families with kids in underware are still required to bring a package of wet wipes each month as we use wipes for EVERYTHING)

Anything left over just gets added to the next supply. If their child needs more than the package they are bringing, I ask them to up the package size.

I personally wouldn't allow a family to bring just a day's supply at a time. Too much to keep track of and too many "what if's" in that scenario.
SimpleMom 08:59 AM 04-03-2012
Here I have parent's supply a package of diapers to keep in theircubby. I let them know when they are getting low and when they are really close to out, I never do reminders on Fridays as its too easy to forget by Mon. Of she brings diapers in daily, I would request a minimum of 6 diapers for those just in casers.
Meyou 09:29 AM 04-03-2012
I require diapers, wipes and formula a package at a time. I tell each family on Friday what they need for Monday if anything. I also throw in extra clothes, bigger sneakers, more socks and things like that to the list. Most of them ask me before I get a chance to tell them now.
littlemissmuffet 09:34 AM 04-03-2012
We have cubbies here too. Each cubby contains diapers, wipes, 2 complete change of clothes, sunscreen, bugspray and any other items a child may need (all of which is supplied by parents). When I am down to 8 diapers or a quarter pack of wipes I send home a notice stating I need more (FULL unopened packages) within 2 days. If I don't have them on the second day, the parent is sent home WITH child to retrieve them before dropping off again.
MrsB 09:36 AM 04-03-2012
I require a package of diapers too. I send a text when they run low. Usually right after I have changed and notice that we are low. Mostly because I tend to forget by the time parents pick up. We are usually too busy chatting about last nights TV show.
AfterSchoolMom 09:40 AM 04-03-2012
My contract says a full package, OR enough diapers for the day plus at least three extra in case of blowouts or emergencies. Can you just tell her that you need her to bring 6 or 7 per day instead of 4?
My3cents 09:49 AM 04-03-2012
My parents put diapers in cubbies, then I put stock up in a basket next to the changing area. When I need more I get more from cubbies. They know when to bring more in. I remind if I need too, but what I also do is take a few and make a stock pile under my changing table in the event that I am low or I forget to replenish my basket or parent forgets to bring them in. If two kids are in the same size diaper I mark their initial on the front of the diaper. I ask them to bring in one package a week to refill the community wipe containers if they are full time and one every other week if they are part time. I also buy wipes. I use them for everything. I also ask them to not bring in cheap wipes that I am going to poke my finger through- that is just gross. I ask them to bring in creams but also have a steady stock of every cream under the sun. This works really well for me.

When I worked in a Center if they were known for not bringing in diapers the next day. I would write a note on the last diaper change of the day. Last diaper bring in more tomorrow please.

I provide everything else- so I feel asking parents to bring in wipes, along with me also buying them is not asking much.

I also ask for changes of clothing, a couple of sets to be stored in the cubbies and appropriate outside ware - I think my parents like that they are kept involved to some degree with having to make sure that their precious one has everything they need for the day. I have great parents and that makes the difference-
AnneCordelia 09:50 AM 04-03-2012
I require diapers by the sleeve. It lasts about 2 weeks, more or less, and I just tell the parents when I'm running low.
wdmmom 10:17 AM 04-03-2012
I require diapers to come in by the package. I have 1 family that goes and buys a monster box with over a hundred, others bring in a bag at a time which will last about 2 weeks.

I just post a sign by the front door when I'm running low.

4 diapers should be ample for a 10 hour day (depending on the age of the child). But I would suggest that mom bring you in a bundle or tell her that you need a minimum of 5 or 6 per day for those "just in case" kind of days.

If he/she doesn't have enough for the 10 hours today, just provide one of the other kids and replace tomorrow.
cheerfuldom 10:40 AM 04-03-2012
I require enough diapers to last the day. 4 is not enough. If the parents don't bring extras on a regular basis, I use daycare diapers and charge $1 a diaper. Trust me, adding a fee will get this mom in shape.
Reply Up