Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Right Amount Of Hours For A Child In Childcare
Country Kids 01:14 PM 10-26-2012
I read on here all the time about part-timers not working well because they are not in care enough.

Then I have read (today recently) about kids being in care to much and not doing well. I have a few of these, parents working long hours and kids here alot.

Anyway, what is the magic number for a child to do well in childcare. Now some of my kids are here 50 hours a week if not more (have issues) but I will have a child here 45 hours a week and be fine. Does it just really depend on the child do you think or the hours?
SilverSabre25 01:16 PM 10-26-2012
I think it depends on the child, the hours, and most importantly, the family dynamic at home and any time the child is not in care
littlemissmuffet 01:23 PM 10-26-2012
My most well behaved and well adjusted kids are here between 4-5 days a week, 7-9 (max) hours a day... get attention in the morning from mom/dad, as well as after work and on weekends - none of this eat supper, have a bath and go to bed right away business, spend holidays with parents and have parents who genuinely enjoy being around them.
Blackcat31 01:29 PM 10-26-2012
I agree with Silver.

I have a little one who is here for pretty much the same amount of time I am and yet the child is a very well adjusted kid and I personally have zero issues with them.

I have another one who is here only 3 days a week and has a work at home mom that spends VERY little if any, time with the child unless you count hitting play on the DVD player and that particular kid drives me and the other daycare kids bonkers. Rude behavior, doesn't listen very well, eats very little, argues about rules and things and has a generally overall chaotic life that includes no quality face time with their parent even though 4 days a week is spent at home.

Definitely has ALOT to do with everything Silver said.
daycarediva 02:41 PM 10-26-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I think it depends on the child, the hours, and most importantly, the family dynamic at home and any time the child is not in care

I have a per diem toddler (22m) that is AMAZING. She is here 1-2x a MONTH.

I have a FT kid here 55 hours a week, week in and week out and he is amazing as well. Both kids are pretty laid back and both have good stable home lives with parents who spend quality time with them.

The little girl I just termed was only here PT for prek and Mom is a SAHM but spends ZERO time with her, and she is out of control.

I have another little guy who is here 50 hours per week and he is a MONSTER but his parents HOPE he doesn't nap so he falls asleep in the car, sooooo...
MarinaVanessa 03:25 PM 10-26-2012
I think it also depends on the child but from my experience I find that I have a harder time the less time a child comes. I don't think I've ever had a FT child come and have a hard time though (50 hours a week) and I currently have one DCB that comes every other Friday and Monday 10 hours each day (so about 4 days a month) and he does great as well.
Cat Herder 03:38 PM 10-26-2012
I don't think it is about the number of hours.

It is about a consistent routine MOST days of the week.

If they are in daycare 2 days a week, their home routine flows best for the child and their parents; not necessarily for the provider or group.

In group care we typically can't accommodate multiple routines for each child individually and have it work. This does not flow well for the child, group or provider.

If they are in daycare 5 days a week, the daycare routine flows best for the child, group and provider; not necessarily for the parents.

IMHO, Parents and Providers just have to decide which is more important to them individually and find the fit that works for them.
Nickel 08:04 PM 10-26-2012
I think it does depend on home life/parents. I don't understand how working parents put their children to bed at 7pm. I mean how much time did you actually spend with your child? An hour???

When my oldest was born I was a single parent and she was in daycare 10-12 hours per day 5 days a week and sometimes on the weekends. But we spent quality time together when I was off. She was always well adjusted and I never had any problems with her in daycare. The staff always loved her and said how easy she was, even as an infant. She was very well adjusted and happy kid. Most of the time she didn't even want to leave daycare at the end of the day.

But we would get home around 6-630, eat dinner together, play together, read a book, or sing songs, etc, then she would get a bath and we would snuggle together before bed (okay, must nights we fell asleep together. Being a single parent is tiring!! ). She would be in bed by 8 or 830 and I would get up in the morning and literally change her diaper and clothes while she was still sleeping. And take her to daycare for 6am.

Too this day all her teachers tell me how wonderfully behaved she is and what a pleasure it is to have her. I am so thankful because next year she will start her third school (we are military).

I don't think it's the hours. I think its more about the parents. I have a 1 yr old that is here 3 days per week and she is by far my easiest child. She never cries. She will occasionally whine but she has never had any real tears, not even on day 1...
Crazy8 09:14 PM 10-26-2012
I don't usually have any problems with part timers as long as their days home are somewhat consistent and similar to our days here (like nap times, etc.) but honestly, even when they are not I rarely have a child that can't adjust to 2 different routines - a home routine and a daycare routine.

as for the "right" number of hours - I don't think there is a magic number but I'd like to see kids have an hour or so at home with mom/dad in the morning and a good 3+ hours with them in the evenings. I feel bad for the kids who get up and are rushed to daycare, then get home and are rushed thru dinner, bath and bed by 7pm.
Reply Up