Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Yes I Have A Daycare, No I Won't Watch Your Kids
Nickel 08:25 AM 01-07-2013
Have you ever seen that bumper sticker on the back of a pick up. yes I have a truck, no I won't help you move. That's how I feel about my daycare.

One of my "friends", really the wife of one of the people my husband works with, asked me to watch her two boys this week. I sort of feel obligated because my husband is the boss of the station, and we have helped them out a lot in the past. We are military, so we always encourage the younger troops to come to us if they need help. So I can't really say NO, especially since two of my kids are out until next week.

SO, She sent me a text asking if I can watch her boys from 1-8 or 9, or basically when ever her husband gets off work. So my husband assured me he would let her husband out early every day this week so I would be able to take care of our family (dinner, homework, activities, etc). So of course I said yes.

Well, then she asked if I could watch them for 3 MONTHS!!! Well, they actually asked my husband and he said NO, My regular kids start next week and I don't have room.

I just feel like friends and associates think that they can just drop their children on me when ever they need to. It drives me batty! Anyone else have this experience?
bunnyslippers 08:54 AM 01-07-2013
Just had it this morning! It is actually a current daycare family, but they have a SA child that is friend's with my own son. I got a text from them, asking if I could keep all three kids until five today (I close at 4), and of course, as a "favor" (translation = I am not paying you for this time, just am expecting you to work an extra hour for free. I let them know that I would not be able to do this for them. You wold not believe how shocked they were that I had something else to do after school today!

I actually DON'T have anything else to do today...but I do not feel like being Old Mother Hubbard this afternoon.
cheerfuldom 08:57 AM 01-07-2013
are they paying you or just looking for free daycare?
MarinaVanessa 08:57 AM 01-07-2013
Yep, happens all of the time.

The funny thing is that they know I do DC as a business for income yet they ALWAYS expect me to do them a favor for free.

So .... I always think about what I can get out if for myself. I have a friend of my DH and they needed emergency DC for 2 days and the wife just so happens to do our taxes ... "Sure! I can watch them, we'll consider those days as payment for my taxes". The look on her face was classic but she didn't say no .
NeedaVaca 09:23 AM 01-07-2013
You know, I don't even think it's just daycare related...before daycare I ran a business from home for 10 years and I couldn't believe the number of people that constantly asked for favors. I think when you work from home people just don't get that you are actually WORKING
My3cents 10:31 AM 01-07-2013
I think when you work from home people just don't get that you are actually WORKING

I think this depends on how you handle your business. I make it known that I am working. I don't allow for people to just come over and hang out. I don't think daycare is viewed as a typical job to many. I am not disagreeing with you just saying that I think it depends.

I also think that people figure that you do daycare you must love kids all the time..........

Wrong! I do love children, but I also like myself and my family time and my sanity- This is my job, not my lifestyle 24/7 Come off time, the last thing that I want is to be around any other kids other then my own- I need to regroup, rejoove
My3cents 10:35 AM 01-07-2013
Forgot to say that was good of your hubby to say NO and know your limits and treat your business like a business. Kudos to your hub for standing by you
Willow 10:47 AM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
You know, I don't even think it's just daycare related...before daycare I ran a business from home for 10 years and I couldn't believe the number of people that constantly asked for favors. I think when you work from home people just don't get that you are actually WORKING

Scout 11:01 AM 01-07-2013
We watched DH's friends baby for a couple hours one night before Xmas so she could go shopping. I didn't mind in this case because mom has had a rough few months. Baby was in the hospital for a few days, her dh lives about an hour away and she has to stay here for work because she couldn't find a job! So for her, we did it for free. I wouldn't do it all the time though!
nanglgrl 11:08 AM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
Wrong! I do love children, but I also like myself and my family time and my sanity- This is my job, not my lifestyle 24/7 Come off time, the last thing that I want is to be around any other kids other then my own- I need to regroup, rejoove

Nickel 11:28 AM 01-07-2013
On the positive, she didn't expect free care, so I guess I'm glad for that. It's just that she automatically assumed I would be available until as late as 9pm. No way am I working that late. I really don't want to work until 6! and I do love children, but at some point I NEED break. And hubs also works that late most days, so he wouldn't even be able to help me.

Oh, well. I told him I was leaving at 6 to go to the ymca and he could meet me there. If he's not there by 630 he can pick them up from the child watch (they are also members, so I wouldn't have to pay or anything).

I guess I just needed to vent. It's a really long day and they are getting dropped off right in the middle of nap time. So they just woke up one of my dcks and she's been asleep less than an hour.
My3cents 12:01 PM 01-07-2013
Originally Posted by Nickel:
On the positive, she didn't expect free care, so I guess I'm glad for that. It's just that she automatically assumed I would be available until as late as 9pm. No way am I working that late. I really don't want to work until 6! and I do love children, but at some point I NEED break. And hubs also works that late most days, so he wouldn't even be able to help me.

Oh, well. I told him I was leaving at 6 to go to the ymca and he could meet me there. If he's not there by 630 he can pick them up from the child watch (they are also members, so I wouldn't have to pay or anything).

I guess I just needed to vent. It's a really long day and they are getting dropped off right in the middle of nap time. So they just woke up one of my dcks and she's been asleep less than an hour.
Put in your policy book no drop off or pick ups during napping hours. Please schedule all appointments around this time-

vent away this is a great place to do it- tons of helps and advice here

Best-
DayCareDiva30 06:57 AM 01-08-2013
I just had this happen yesterday. Had an "associate" that only calls when she wants a favor call and chat me up about how things are going with the 1 mo ds she just adopted. Then she asked if I still did 3rd shift day care and if I would be willing to keep the baby overnight because she needed to go into the hospital and have a sleep study done and didn't trust her 19yo ds to wake up with the baby at 12am and 3am for feeding. I told her she had a whole month to work with the 19yo on taking care of his new brother, because I didn't think I could get up with her baby multiple times during the night and get up at 5am to get ready for daycare which starts at 7am.
Springdaze 08:10 AM 01-08-2013
I have a client who has been a friend for a long time, her husband was my husbands best man, etc. no probs but when I have needed her to watch my kids a few times, she wont take money, so I feel weird asking since she pays me to do the same! I guess its different because if it was a truly watching her kids once in a while then I wouldnt expect money but scheduled same time each time would be "work".

Also, sometimes I watch kids that are former dck but now come off and on as school age. they are best friends of my dd and it feel weird because sometimes my dd will go over for a playdate but then when they come here, I charge! they pay so I guess its not a problem!
Reply Up