Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Worst Weeds
Pestle 05:55 AM 03-24-2017
Everything's sprouting down here in the Southeast; we've all started mowing our lawns again. And the weeds are making their appearance, too.

What do you constantly do battle with? I fight the following, all of which have poisonous fruit. If I didn't have a yard full of kids, I'd only bother with the horse nettle since it's a spiky super-toxic death monster.

-Horse nettle
-Wild sweet pea (these have come up all through my wildflower meadow area; I pulled them all last spring but there's a lot more now)
-Porcelainberry
-Heavenly bamboo

The latter two are non-native invasive ornamentals, so, thanks neighbors.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Everything's sprouting down here in the Southeast; we've all started mowing our lawns again. And the weeds are making their appearance, too.

What do you constantly do battle with? I fight the following, all of which have poisonous fruit. If I didn't have a yard full of kids, I'd only bother with the horse nettle since it's a spiky super-toxic death monster.

-Horse nettle
-Wild sweet pea (these have come up all through my wildflower meadow area; I pulled them all last spring but there's a lot more now)
-Porcelainberry
-Heavenly bamboo

The latter two are non-native invasive ornamentals, so, thanks neighbors.
Um, yeah... we still have snow all over.
The bare ground is just beginning to show.

I do struggle with weeds though! Although NONE of the weeds we have up here are as pretty looking as the ones you have

We struggle most with

spurge
stinging nettles
thistles

......and of course, the ever popular dandelion
Pestle 08:08 AM 03-24-2017
Dandelions!

"Don't you blow on that! Don't you blow on that!" I called, while charging across the yard to intercept my 4yo. Found a bare dandelion stem. "You blew on it."

"I did NOT," she replied. "I WIGGLED IT."
Blackcat31 08:16 AM 03-24-2017
Dandelions!

"Don't you blow on that! Don't you blow on that!" I called, while charging across the yard to intercept my 4yo. Found a bare dandelion stem. "You blew on it."

My dog scarfs them (in their white state) up as he runs across the yard!
~ I think he thinks eventually one of them will be a marshmallow
Pestle 08:24 AM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think he thinks eventually one of them will be a marshmallow
How much repeated suffering is worth the ever-unfulfilled hope of one brief moment of joy? I'm glad your dog doesn't have thumbs; he'd probably steal your wallet and car to go buy lottery tickets.
LysesKids 09:14 AM 03-24-2017
Dandelions!

Oh I totally get that one lol... I hate my dandelions. We have poison oak on some of the trees & utility poles also... thankfully most of my charges are too little to even crawl so it's not an issue because it's just on the edge of the property line (bordering the neighbors homes)
laundrymom 09:15 AM 03-24-2017
Yucca.
Oh my gosh.
Yucca.
Pestle 09:36 AM 03-24-2017
Yikes! I just looked yucca up--sharp leaves and nearly impossible to eradicate. The cockroach of plants, huh?
laundrymom 10:29 AM 03-24-2017
Yikes! I just looked yucca up--sharp leaves and nearly impossible to eradicate. The cockroach of plants, huh?
Yes.
Exactly.
Yuck.
And I have an island about 15feetx25feet of them and sporadic shoots come up around my house. We are getting a small excavator this spring and digging the island out.
The Play Room 10:59 AM 03-24-2017
Dandelions!

I don't have a weed problem, except for dandelions. Over the years I have learned to just tolerate them. They are beautiful when blooming all over the play yard and the little girls love to blow the puffs. For me, life is too short to worry about dandelions. .......Now, fire ants! That's my problem. I spend a lot of time boiling and carrying water to pour over the mounds that keep popping up.
LysesKids 12:45 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by The Play Room:
I don't have a weed problem, except for dandelions. Over the years I have learned to just tolerate them. They are beautiful when blooming all over the play yard and the little girls love to blow the puffs. For me, life is too short to worry about dandelions. .......Now, fire ants! That's my problem. I spend a lot of time boiling and carrying water to pour over the mounds that keep popping up.
Something I discovered is that ANTS hate cinnamon lol... pour powered cinnamon in the holes first then pour the boiling water... any ant that didn't get boiled will likely have cinnamon stuck to them & they will be alienated by the rest ... essentially that ant will have "cooties" and no other ant will get near them. Also lay a line of cinnamon just outside main door frames - ants won't cross it to get inside
Blackcat31 12:54 PM 03-24-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Something I discovered is that ANTS hate cinnamon lol... pour powered cinnamon in the holes first then pour the boiling water... any ant that didn't get boiled will likely have cinnamon stuck to them & they will be alienated by the rest ... essentially that ant will have "cooties" and no other ant will get near them. Also lay a line of cinnamon just outside main door frames - ants won't cross it to get inside
well, that's not very inclusive now is it?!

Ant hills are fascinating but I am not sure I'd find them so interesting if they were Fire Ants. We have "some" here but most the ants we have are harmless and don't bite or sting. Same with the snakes and spiders here...nothing venomous or full of teeth to worry about.
Ariana 05:18 PM 03-24-2017
Dandelions galore! Our City banned pesticide use so it is insane in the spring. We also get crabgrass but that comes in August when the dry heat kicks in. Think dry brown dead (dormant) grass with giant green spider looking weeds
Tags:allergies, weeds
Reply Up