Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Curriculum

Curriculum Post any curriculum ideas, activites or projects that wouldbe helpful to our Daycare community. What is your teaching philosophy?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Motor Skills Activity

I use "sticky yarn," a simple yarn and glue combo for an inexpensive and fun way to incorporate motor skills into lessons.

What are you all doing to incorporate motor skills into your lesson plans? I'm always looking for new things to keep it fresh.

Not my picture..

Old 08-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

I like it! I am bad at figuring this stuff out so I will def use this
Old 08-06-2013, 11:51 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Do you just put glue on the yarn and let it dry? Or do they use it while the yarn is wet with glue? I guess that would be how it would be sticky, huh? Haha.

That's a neat idea, but I have a couple kids here who absolutely hate getting glue on their hands when they're doing projects...
Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have them outline the number or letter in glue first. Then using their fine motor skills ( ) they place the colored yarn over it..

If you want to avoid glue, you can use yarn dipped in paint. If you press it down it will stick to the paper.. Of course, this is whole different type of mess!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:40 PM

Cool idea!

I do something similar for shapes and letters/numbers but we use Wikki Stix.

They look like pipe cleaners but they are flexible and sticky......NO MESS.

http://www.wikkistix.com/what_are_wikkistix.php

Last edited by Blackcat31; 08-28-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Those are perfect! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Daycare.com Member

Another fun way to build small motor skills is to have children put pipe cleaners/chenille stems in and out of the holes in a plastic strainer (turned upside down). Keeps little ones busy for a LONG time!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Daycare.com Member

Awesome idea, though most of my kids are young and would probably eat the glue and yarn..lol
Another idea using contact paper and cotton balls. Put the contact paper sticky side up and tape it to the table. Put out cotton balls and let them stick and unstick them to the contact paper. It leaves a trail of cotton every time they lift it up. I do this in the winter and say we made "snow" and tape it on the wall.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvlearning View Post
Another fun way to build small motor skills is to have children put pipe cleaners/chenille stems in and out of the holes in a plastic strainer (turned upside down). Keeps little ones busy for a LONG time!
oooh good idea!

Tags
craft ideas - toddlers, motor skills