Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do They Bring?
KEG123 05:25 AM 04-14-2011
On the first day? Do you have a list of things they need to bring and keep here? Package of diapers, wipes are obvious. But other than that, I'm at a loss. Comfort item for naptime? Do they bring their own sippy cup and leave it here?

If you have a list, please post it! Thanks!
GretasLittleFriends 05:33 AM 04-14-2011
I have a very large entry room that has lots of hooks to hold jackets and bags. Most of my parents just choose to keep their diaper bags stocked each night. Some needed items would be:

Change (or two) of clothing
Bottle, if used - I provide my own cups and sippy cups
Formula - Unless you plan on providing it, keep in mind different children have different needs as well.
Comfort item - 1 blankie or fave small animal
Diapering items - don't forget rash creams

Here is what my contract says:
Supplies (that can be left here)- Diapers, baby wipes, diaper creams, potty training diapers, blanket for nap, Tylenol, toothbrush, change of clothes, sunscreen and insect repellent. Please mark your child's name on all supplies. Bring child appropriately dressed for the day in play clothes. Bring extra clothes for a change in weather. I will provide all the daily supplies for your child's play and learning which include: activity coloring books, games, toys, puzzles, outdoor play equipment etc. If your child brings a toy or an item from home I will NOT be responsible if it gets lost or broken. I have children to care for and cannot keep track of play toys brought from home.

I do offer sunscreen, insect repellent and toothpaste, but it is whatever I have on hand. Sometimes it's generic or whatever is on sale for the best price. It is up to the parent if they wish to use a specific brand, that I do not have on hand, to provide their own.
Meyou 05:34 AM 04-14-2011
This is from my PH. I also require one bottle of sunblock per child due by April 15th. I supply cot and PNP bedding and sippy cups. It's much easy when all the cups are the same but different colors.

All supplies may be left here or brought daily and replaced if worn home. Please keep in mind we spend a lot of time outside and the children get very dirty. Don’t send them in clothing that can get ruined easily.

The following is needed for all children:

Winter (Nov.15-March 15)
Change of clothes
Sweatshirt
Extra socks and underwear
Snowpants
Boots
Winter jacket
Hat
Mittens

Spring/Fall (March 15 to June 1)(September 15 to Nov. 15)
Change of clothes
Waterproof splash pants (unless you’re ok with muddy clothes coming home each day)
Rubber boots (the yard and park are muddy and wet)
Sneakers
Extra socks and underwear
Sweatshirt
Warm jacket

Summer (June 1 to Sept 15)
Change of clothes
Bathing suit (must stay here)
Sunhat
Extra underwear
Sneakers or sandals (no flip flops under age 3)

Children under 18 months or potty training
Diapers
Baby wipes
2 bottles and liners
2 changes of clothes including socks
Diaper cream or powder if requred
Baby Tylenol or Origel, if you wish it to be used.

GretasLittleFriends 05:35 AM 04-14-2011
Meyou- I like your breakdown! That looks very easy to follow!
tulip1969 05:37 AM 04-14-2011
1 large package of diapers
1 large package of wipes
2 full changes of clothes (shirts, pants, socks, onesies)
1 container of formula and/or frozen breast milk for emergency use
If baby is on jar food 3 emergency jars (in case parent forgets at home)
Lovey for naptime if your child uses one (pacifier or special blanket)
1 tube of diaper cream
naptime blanket
one sippy cup and ne bottle to leave here
Please label all items with your child's name.
Thank you!

I provide crib sheets, spoons/forks/bowls and bibs
Meyou 05:41 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
Meyou- I like your breakdown! That looks very easy to follow!
Thanks! I find the change in seasons make most parents lose all ability to dress their kids to play outside so I broke it down for them.
KEG123 05:43 AM 04-14-2011
Awesome! And so where do you store the items that they bring? Do you have special cubbies? Can the children access the cubbies or do you keep their stuff out of reach somewhere? I don't have cubbies or a coat rack at the moment, so I'm curious where everyone stores the items. I have a little while yet to shop yet for something.
Meyou 05:56 AM 04-14-2011
Here is my setup. Each child has a hood with their name and a bucket on the shelf with their name. They are in the daycare area but the kids never touch them.

Meyou 05:58 AM 04-14-2011
Lol. Looking at the 2nd pic I just noticed that my dd nicknamed "Twig" is the messiest one there. I use the cubbies for my kids to place things of theirs I find around the house. Hers is overflowing.
godiva83 06:28 AM 04-14-2011
I love the chalk board "Booger free children Only" does it work?? I also have a hook and cubbie system that I love. I only have 4 children so I bought this fabulous thing from Ikea it is supposed to be a shoe storage but works great looks modern and closes up so you don't see all the kiddos things. I will attempt to post a pic
Meyou 06:34 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by godiva83:
I love the chalk board "Booger free children Only" does it work?? I also have a hook and cubbie system that I love. I only have 4 children so I bought this fabulous thing from Ikea it is supposed to be a shoe storage but works great looks modern and closes up so you don't see all the kiddos things. I will attempt to post a pic
My boyfriend is always up later than me so he writes a funny message on the board every night for me to find in the morning. THe parents like it too. There was one last week about all babies are to go straight to the sewing machines and our goal today was to put the sweat in sweatshop.
KEG123 08:05 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
My boyfriend is always up later than me so he writes a funny message on the board every night for me to find in the morning. THe parents like it too. There was one last week about all babies are to go straight to the sewing machines and our goal today was to put the sweat in sweatshop.
That's hilarious!
thecrazyisout 10:20 AM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by godiva83:
I was thinking of getting this...do you have it in your hallway??
BentleysBands 11:06 AM 04-14-2011
I use to have parents bring items but now I provide everything. All I need is the kid lol
Meeko 11:25 AM 04-14-2011
Keep it to the minimum!

My day care parents are required on enrollment to bring a package of diapers and a pack of wipes which stay at the day care (I do not allow diaper bags as it's a storage nightmare...also I had a good friend who did day care and was accused of stealing money out of a diaper bag once. The mom swore there was $20 in the front pocket and that the provider had taken it.)

Each child has a cubby with a change of clothing for accidents. Their blanket stays in the cubby too. I don't allow blankies to be dragged around the house as they are a tripping hazard to the other kids. Diapers are kept on shelves in the changing area. Parents all bring a refill pack of wipes on the first of each month and I work my way through them during the month. I don't want 8 individual tubs of wipes in my changing area! I let parents know when we are running low on diapers.

I supply all bottles and sippy cups. I don't want to be hunting them down at the end of the day. Pacifiers are only allowed if they are attached to the child with a safety clip. If they pull it off, they have to be weaned off of them as it's a pain to constantly pick them up and stop other kids from putting them in their mouths.

I do not allow toys from home as they can get lost or broken and the kids fight over them. We have a TON of toys here. They still try it sometimes, but I give it straight back to mom.
Abigail 11:34 AM 04-14-2011
I'm going to keep my list as simple as possible. My handbook states in each category if the parents need to supply it so it's spread out in the handbook, but I will give everyone a supply list as a summary when they enroll along with their handbook they can reference as to "why" they need or don't need it.

I don't want to have sippy cups and bottles and paci's supplied by the parents UNLESS they want to use their own. I am willing to buy these items of my choice because I don't want to worry about who has what if the name wears off and I don't want to have baskets upon baskets of items I could easily supply and keep organized in my own cupboard for my sanity. LOL

I will have two separate areas for the main storage. I'll either have a coat rack on the wall with just hooks OR I'll have my dad build me a divided locker/cubbies out of wood so no jackets touch, etc. and it will give me the room for sending home art projects and storing winter necessity items like hats/mitten in an organized fashion.

As for the change of clothing and diapering items, I'm going to use a three-drawer dresser that is child-proof as the diaper changing station so I can keep the spare clothing and diapers in these drawers. I'm providing wipes because I have my own preference on those, but parents can bring their own if they wish and they'll be labeled and in this drawer as well. The drawers should hold two children's items in each unless I have a few older ones who only require clothing then I should be able to fit three to a drawer. My limit will be 7 children.

Sorry I don't have my supplies list typed, but I really just want the parents to worry about getting their kids to daycare safely in the morning and to bring home security blankets on weekends to wash and return.
KEG123 11:55 AM 04-14-2011
Great tips everyone.

Basically to start with, this should be good right? To keep it basic?

Package of Diapers
3 Wipe Refill Packages
Change of clothes (season appropriate)
Security blanket or stuffed animal for naps
Abigail 12:14 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Great tips everyone.

Basically to start with, this should be good right? To keep it basic?

Package of Diapers
3 Wipe Refill Packages
Change of clothes (season appropriate)
Security blanket or stuffed animal for naps
LOL, you make things simple and I like that! Is their a reason you choose three refill packages? Are you going to use them as community wipes or wipes per each individual child? If it's per child then I would have a container of wipes and let the parents know when you get low. I would recommend two changes of clothes because not many people will restock their one set of spare clothing overnight and that is when you'll need it. Will you require parents to bring any infant items including a paci, diaper creams, formula, bottles, baby foods?
KEG123 01:45 PM 04-14-2011
Well right now I don't have infants. I will have 2-2 year olds, and a 17 month old. I suppose I'll cross the infant bridge if/when I get there.

I chose 3 refills because many of the packages I see have 3 in it. I'd do a community wipes and when they get low, then have everyone bring 3 again. I just REALLY don't want to remind parents every other week to bring more of something, kwim?
KEG123 01:55 PM 04-14-2011
And also, how do you tell parents that it's time to send new... "clothes...diapers...wipes" Do you just ask or send a note home?
Live and Learn 03:17 PM 04-14-2011
In addition to the already mentioned items I have the parent of bf babies leave 2 days worth of frozen milk and a typed list of all of their contact phone numbers including several backup emergency contact numbers.
Meeko 06:29 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
And also, how do you tell parents that it's time to send new... "clothes...diapers...wipes" Do you just ask or send a note home?
I have a black marker on my changing table. When diapers are getting low, I write "More diapers please"! right on the child's diaper. I know they'll see it if I forget to mention it at the door!
Unregistered 07:14 PM 04-14-2011
I fill out a daily sheet on each child under 3. Infant grams and toddler grams. There are lines to fill in all meals and snacks, diaper changes, nap time and what the child did during the day. I also circle happy/sad/tired/fussy for attitude. Then under "Please send tomorrow" I can circle change of clothes/formula/breast milk/diapers/wipes. The parents know to look. I also list when meds were given (like Motrin for teething) and any upcoming events.
Tags:first day, first day - supplies
Reply Up