Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Helper Pay..Responsibilities And Hours Too!
thecrazyisout 09:40 AM 05-11-2011
Hi there,

I am considering a helper this summer since all my kids will be here full time. I have a few qeustions for you?

How many hours are your helpers with you per week?
How much do you pay?
What responsibilities do you expect from them?

THANKS
Michelle 09:55 AM 05-11-2011
wow, how weird I just wrote a long e-mail to my daughter about this ,who will be my full time helper this summer. She is 18 and a starving college student.
well, she will be here from 9-6 and will do everything I do.
She will go on field trips, make meals, read to the kids, clean, I will train her to do minute menu, and she will get $800 a month and all her meals are included, she is really excited because she was just making $400 a month at her college(work study) and really struggling.

Bottom line is , don't be afraid to ask your assistant to clean! have everything in writing, what you expect, when her paydays will be, and definitely let them know how you want those kids to be loved like your own kids!!
Kids can really tell when they are wanted and loved, so interview a lot of people, check references and backgrounds, and especially criminal background check. In Ca. I have to have all adults fingerprinted.

Good luck
TomCopeland 02:01 PM 05-11-2011
Remember, when you hire someone to help you care for children you must treat this person as your employee (only exceptions: a person hired to do an activity like a music lesson and a person who is in the business of providing substitute care). This is true no matter how little you pay the person or how few hours she works for you.

As an employer you must pay federal minimum wage ($7.25 per hour) or state minimum wage if it's higher. You must withhold state and federal income tax, withhold and pay Social Security/Medicare tax. You may also have to pay federal and state unemployment tax and purchase workers compensation insurance.

You can avoid most (all in some cases) of these payroll taxes you hire your son or daughter under age 18.

For details, see my article: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...-employee.html
nannyde 02:55 PM 05-11-2011
Number one piece of advise: NO CELL PHONE
wdmmom 03:13 PM 05-11-2011
I would seek the advise of your tax adviser and see if your state would allow you providing a 1099.
daycare 03:14 PM 05-11-2011
I had an assistant for about a month when I first started... I could not deal with having another person in my house going through my stuff and just being here always feeling like someone was looking over my shoulder...lol

I would just set it out what you expect...
what is it that you want help with?

One of the issues that I was having was that the lady was always calling in late putting me in a situation where I would be over my numbers..
make sure that you stress that importance of being on time and NOT calling in sick....
Michael 03:52 PM 05-11-2011
Assistant Rates: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ssistant+rates
Tags:assistant, assistant - what to pay, assistant rates, assistant responsibilities, helper
Reply Up